Poll: Petition to port Metal Gear to PC

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Kheapathic said:
Because the game isn't already immortalized, good word choice on showing your bias.

loc978 said:
I enjoyed the port of MGS, despite some shortcomings. I'd be interested to see if mouselook would make 2 and 3 playable (because they sure as hell aren't with thumbsticks).
If you honestly believe that then I'll tell you the problem is between the controller and the chair.
Probably. I'll admit the controls are... functional, sort of. Moving a crosshair with a thumbstick is doable, it's just not responsive enough for me. I'm a middle of the road player with such controls, but I'm incapable of having fun with them, due to the feeling that the biggest obstacle between me and winning is shitty controls. Every other obstacle the game can throw at me pales in comparison. This goes for any game where you have to regularly move a cursor or crosshair with a thumbstick. They're just not very good for that function.

Probably a symptom of me getting used to high-sensitivity 1:1 mouselook in the late 90s.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I wouldn't bother with it, never played any of it's titles and i doubt that i would get hooked by some outdated title that might have been interesting many years ago.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Kheapathic said:
Because the game isn't already immortalized, good word choice on showing your bias.

loc978 said:
I enjoyed the port of MGS, despite some shortcomings. I'd be interested to see if mouselook would make 2 and 3 playable (because they sure as hell aren't with thumbsticks).
If you honestly believe that then I'll tell you the problem is between the controller and the chair.
To be honest the controls of MGS 2 and 3 are terrible, in MGS 1 they worked well as the game was mostly just a top down stealth game and you really didnt need to use the first person view that much but the other two games that use it more heavily its just terrible. A mouse and keyboard wouldnt fix them either, the only way to fix them would be to rework the entire controls probably messing around with its mechanics, in the end it wouldnt really be the same game so might as well not change anything. If MGS 3 had the "controlability" of a Splinter Cell game back then that would have been great (or MGS4/Peace Walker, those have ok controls)

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
I want more games on PC, I especially want a lot of games that show up only on Sony products to come over to PC. Games like Muramasa rebirth, Dragon's crown, etc. So Im all for putting pressure on developers to move their games to the PC market, despite their inexperience with ports. Why? because when they realize theres a profit to be made on PC they'll start porting regularly, just how Dark souls inspired Dark souls 2 to start with a PC release.

Now this doesnt stop us from calling their ports trash. They need to put some work into ports but between not having the game and having a bad port of the game (with the potential for better ports in the future) Im going to choose having the bad port

That said, while I have no interest in metal gear specifically this could help Japanese devs realize how much money they can make off of us from good games

Fireaxe

Sep 30, 2013
When boring excessively talky games like the Metal Gear series are discussed I'm actually glad console exclusives exist.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
Sure, why not? Even though I wouldn't buy it I am always pulling for gaming to be expanded as a hobby.

I must be honest though, if you asked me to bet real money I would bet it doesn't happen, unfortunately.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Kheapathic said:
josemlopes said:
Kheapathic said:

loc978 said:
To be honest the controls of MGS 2 and 3 are terrible, in MGS 1 they worked well as the game was mostly just a top down stealth game and you really didnt need to use the first person view that much but the other two games that use it more heavily its just terrible. A mouse and keyboard wouldnt fix them either, the only way to fix them would be to rework the entire controls probably messing around with its mechanics, in the end it wouldnt really be the same game so might as well not change anything. If MGS 3 had the "controlability" of a Splinter Cell game back then that would have been great (or MGS4/Peace Walker, those have ok controls)
Just because they're not ideal for some doesn't mean they're terrible. If you think you need first-person aiming that much I'd have to say you're playing it wrong. Outside of events that call for first-person aiming (sniper, bridge bombs, etc), the game can be completed with minimal fuss without using the first person aiming.
The simple fact that doing something as simple as a quick lean unequips my weapon or item shows how terrible the controls are, and even then there are things that can be more retarded as to why isnt the aim on weapons that arent pistols properly centered. And the pressure sensitive controls... yeah...

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I'd like to see what the fuss is about.

Though I am not sure if I could sit through the kawaii-desu, "war is hell", breakdancing ninja robot, child soldiers infused cutscenes and plot without asking Hideo Kojima to sit down and consider what he really wants to do with his life.

Ah what the hell, let's port it!

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
People keep saying PC is the gaming master race, and all i read are pc people begging for console game ports. lol.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
Okay guys, do we remember how Dark Souls went down?

Or at least remember the state of the original Metal Gear Solid and Solid 2 ports?

I'm not saying that it'd be a bad idea, but... well, it's a very similar situation here. Plus it's Konami, and since when have they cared about the PC at all? Much as I want to see Rising on the PC, I'm still wary of it because Japanese developers in general just don't have a lot of experience with PC development.

I would love to see Metal Gear Solid on the PC, though. Especially with a proper mouse-driven control scheme. But I'm not going to hold my breathe waiting for it.
So much this. The developpers of Dark souls said they didn't want to because they didn't know how. The people said they didn't care. So the devs made the port. And everyone and their mom bitched about how much of a bad port it was.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Does anyone remember how Japan is not amazing with PC ports, like at all?.
Generalize much?

Shadow-Phoenix said:
I also forgot that it's become an increasing problem to go out and buy the console the game was made for since these days it's either: Emulation, port or nothing at all when it comes to PC.
Why should someone pay $500 + to be XBoned for one game? If consoles were not so worried about their future they wouldn't need exclusives.

Shadow-Phoenix said:
As much as I'd love to sign that petition I cannot, not unless something on PC that's been wild and popular becomes multiplatform (I'm talking about something that's still on there).
You think you are in some sort of position to negotiate? You represent all console first developers on The Escapist? Not like some have not tried. GSC tried to port S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but so much had to be cut due to limited/weak hardware that what remained would have barely counted as a game.

Shadow-Phoenix said:
Also I'm not expecting Revengance to be anything special on PC since it's Platinum's first ever PC port and I expect it to be decent or good at best but by no means "better" or "superior".
Native 1080p it's already better.

Shadow-Phoenix said:
I'd also not want to sign it because I know how ungrateful some people will be if the port turned out bad.
This last statement... Wow, everything that is wrong with the gaming industry and consoles in general right now, summed up in one simple sentence. Don't strive for anything better, don't improve, be the same, stagnate and generate money, awful attitude. Don't forget everyone be grateful if the port is garbage, wouldn't want any hurt feelings or striving to improve or anything.

On topic, signed the petition, no interest in Metal Gear anything, just to spite this guy.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
wombat_of_war said:
Revengance? seriously they actually subtitled the game with that? i dont care how good a game is i refuse to play something with a made up word like that
It actually is a legitimate word, it's just that people rarely use it anymore (like how gay technically means happy, but it's mostly used to refer to people who swing for the same team):

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Revengeance

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Oh good, a petition. Because these always go well. Remember when obama built that death star?

Seriously though, petitions are for governments, not video games. I really think people are starting to abuse them.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
Revengeance is already ported, but that's done by Platinum, not necessarily from Kojima (I think).

EDIT: I'm fucking dumb.

I want to wait and see how good a port Rising is.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Since I know that I will not get any console in the immediate future (especially since I'm planning a big rig upgrade) I would take crappy console ports over not getting them at all.

Remember, we can always have the likes of Durante to "fix" the game for us if need be so I'm all for that.