Poll: Physical Punishment Towards Children, Yay or Nay?

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
It occurred to me after I left this thread last night that perhaps we're seeing some kind of age/culture split here. I normally see a fairly even split in people who are sternly against physical punishment.

1. The people who were brutalised as children.. I can totally understand this, people DO take things to far.

2. The people who were raised under the idea of permissive parenting, primarily positive reinforcement, in cultures that increasingly view childhood and children idealistically.

Where as people I find most often defending it, like myself, received what we consider to be reasonable punishments in union with other forms of punishment. In settings where we were being raised to become responsible adults.

I also must say that yes, I do dismiss pretty much all research into this aspect of child-raising. Why? For the same reason I dismiss all research into the violent video game debate... on both sides.. it is not done by independent and unbiased people.

Research against physical discipline tends to come from paediatrics or psychologists... two groups of people who routinely see the affects of the worst forms of child abuse and this colours their perceptions of all discipline. Not to long ago child psychologists were promoting the idea that children should have ONLY positive reinforcement, only be rewarded and never punished.

If I were to go out and do research about the subject.. presuming I were qualified to do so.. my research should also be summarily dismissed. I am biased, I believe it is a good thing and no matter how hard I try that would colour my research.

Discipline and boundaries are a requirement of raising a decent adult. An overwhelming problem with the mindset of permissive parenting is that they think they are raising a child. They are not, they are raising an adult who happens to need to go through the stages of being a child and teenager to get there. The overriding goal of producing, and raising, another human being is to provide a functioning, useful and productive member of society.

I believe that the behaviour that I see, every day, in young adults.. and even those of my generation (30) is a direct result of lack of discipline and boundaries during growing up. Abusive behaviour, lack of direction, lack of purpose, excessive alcohol use, and a wide variety of other social ills can be, in my mind, laid firmly at the feet of parents who wished to be more friend than parent.

Are there other tools available to discipline a child? Of course, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't take this one away. Physical force can teach things that children need to know that other forms of punishment cannot.. primarily that being hurt, hurts. There is, to my mind, no greater way to make a young child realise the consequences of his or her dangerous, of violent, actions than a light smack.

Children simply do not have then mental capacity to understand certain complex concepts. At a very young age all they get is Action - Consequence and only then if it is immediate. Reasoning with them simply confuses them.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Reading through here I think two things. Firstly, thank goodness the UK banned physical violence towards children because a hell of a lot of you support it.
Secondly, it strikes me that most of the supporters for physical punishment are basically saying, "I got hit and I'm fine!" so I reckon they might be just an tiny bit bitter about it. If they got hit as a kid then they think there kid should be hit.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
If I ever become a parent I would like to think that I could raise my child how I see fit so I don't presume to tell anyone else how to raise their kids since its non of my business.

As for whether I think physical punishment is ok, I would say yes to a certain degree as long as it is reasonable and not excessive. I don't think there is any harm in a smack on the bottom or on the hand as long as it is only a smack. I personally would only use it as a last resort in extreme cases, i.e. the child was bullying or stealing. For anything else I would withhold pocket money, ground or take away something they cared about for a set time.

Its ok saying that physical punishement is always wrong but there are some instances and some children where timeouts and such just don't work. I would rather my kids grow up to be respectable citizens than dossers who dont work and contribute to society. If that means I have to slap them once so they get the message then thats what I will do. It might be hard to do it and upsetting to see them cry but parents are not friends they are parents. Let them get away with it when they are young and you will regret it when they are a teenager or an adult.

MrStab

Mar 24, 2011
Yes I agree fully with it I got it when I was younger and believe I'm all the better for it deserved it every single time, however in saying that I also believe corporeal punishment should be in all school and prison systems aswell and capital punishment in prisons.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
I think it's acceptable personally, but used sparingly and in severity according to the punishment. I have this view mostly because a young child cannot rationalise like an adult can, therefore they may not understand more abstract punishments like a telling off/explanation why it's wrong or even things like a grounding/confiscation of privilege. Sometimes temporary physical pain or discomfort is what is needed to make that child associate the undesirable action with undesirable results. Of course, later in life when the child becomes able to understand less physical punishments, physical punishments should be phased out. I think that at 12 years old getting your XBox confiscated is a lot worse than a slap on the rear.

Psycho-Toaster said:
Yeah, and fuck anyone who says it's child abuse. Call me harsh, but there are kids out there who get left in their run-down apartment for days on end by their scumbag junkie parents who couldn't give less of a shit. That same child will know how to roll a joint and inject heroin from watching their parents do it. Hell, just last month I remember seeing a thread on this very site about a guy who killed his newborn child by dropping a cinderblock on its head because he couldn't afford to look after it anymore.

And people have the nerve to trivialise these situations - real child abuse - by saying a light spank is on the same level? Might as well compare a ginger joke to the fucking Holocaust while you're at it.
That last bit made me chuckle, not in a bad way, I just saw ginger and it set me off.

But yeah, I see where you're coming from. A lot of people have massively blurred the line as far as this is concerned.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
NO, I'm just speaking from personal experience when I say that people using physical force to reinforce their point makes me loose respect for that point and by proxy, them.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
Using force even light or heavy is the mark of an imbecile-parent. There is no need for it, at all, ever.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I find that children are far too illogical to understand the word "no" sometimes, even with a great explanation as to why "no" is being said, and they need some reinforcement. Obviously, there is a point where it can go too far, but I survived, so can my children.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Yes, but very mild. Otherwise it'd probably do more harm than good.

Tydanubus

Aug 26, 2010
JWAN said:
Tydanubus said:
Rblade said:
it has been scientifically proven that physical punishment has no positive reinforcing effect. It only makes the child fear punishment and thus be sneaky about it.

it also has a negative impact on how the child learns conflicts are to be resolved
Quoted for truth, end of thread! *Looks at poll* Oh dear. I guess people don't want things like scientific evidence to keep them from smacking their kids. I has a sad.
I agree to a point.
Spanking is negative reinforcement. Sure rewarding kids for doing good things is great and is more beneficial but ignoring a kid or not having any punishments beyond grounding is just as much as a detriment and I worked with abused kids. Basically the parents would not have any rules and tried to be the kids friend. Then when the kid really started to get out of control they would start laying down the law with weak rules like groundings and this would only confuse the kid and or make them more angry. Then they would go way too far (out of exacerbation, stupidity and because of their own failures as a parent to establish ground rules) and just beat the ever-loving shit out of them.

If the kid acts out in a store and is throwing stuff then a spanking is in order. If they accidentally drop something then you obviously shouldn't hit them for it but you should make them clean it up (if its safe for them to do so.) There are different situations and not all of them call for spankings but you cant just ground a kid for everything they do.

I think its a balance thing.
(edited for my crappy spelling, and for clarification)
We'll have to agree to disagree. In my opinion, physical abuse is never acceptable, no matter what anyone has done. That said, I would be the first to admit my opinion on the issue doesn't matter.

Studies and hard evidence, however, do matter. We have data that shows corporal punishment grows less effective over time and increases aggression in children.

This discussion is eerily similar to one I had on the last thread on this topic, and again, I'm shocked by the level of denial and barbarism in some of these posts (not yours specifically, JWAN, I appreciate you being so civil). Why would you want to cause physical harm to someone, especially a child? Especially when all credible evidence suggests that hitting said child is only going to cause more problems in the long-run? And as someone who was relatively well-behaved as a child and never spanked by my parents, I resent the idea that the only way to not have your kids doing whatever they please is to club them like some Dark Age brute. Give the kid a time out! Help them understand that they've done something wrong or undesirable instead of ruling by fear.

Reptiloid

Nov 10, 2010
Sure, if you're a primitive barbarian.

If you don't have the intelligence and parental skills to resolve an issue without resorting to violence, don't become a parent. In fact, you shouldn't be allowed to by law.