Poll: Picketing the Future Funeral of Fred Phelps (Leader of the Westboro Baptist Church)

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
Hell I'd
OtherSideofSky said:
No, that's descending to their level. I don't really buy the whole "eye for an eye" thing. I'm more of a "whole extended family for an eye" kind of guy. I suggest we break out the deadly space lasers.
Hehe yeah, nuke the bastards from orbit.

OT: I might not picket the funeral, but I would piss on his grave once they're done. To hell with being the better man, I'll sink to thier level sso no one else has to.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
No, prove you are bigger than them. Leave a family to greave their dead, don't stoop to their level.

Also: People like the WBC thrive on hate, if we picket their funeral all that'll happen is one will go, "Oh look! We are hated etc. etc. oh poor us." If you treat them like normal humans, then they have nothing to complain about and will end up looking stupid.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
hell yes. and if i have the money i will personally pay for everyones ticket out there that is also gonna do it.

you might think im joking but im not...i would love to see the look on their faces when people with picket signs show up doing the EXACT SAME THING they have been doing. and because of what they did they cant do a damn thing about it to stop us. freedom of speech b*tches. Karma is a motherF**king b*tch.. on the other hand i probably wont have the spare money top even buy myself a ticket out there so im sitting fingers crossed that someone does picket his funeral.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
I'm with this guy. Don't sink to his level, sink farther and make it funny.

These guys will be ready for a protest. We need to shock the fuckers.

Whilst they're distracted by the guy in the devil costume. I say we get an army of fat guys to eat a lot of Mexican food the night before and collectively unleash the fury on his coffin as their backs are turned.
Amen brother! We must dig deep within ourselves to find a new low. Dare I say that with commitment and hard work we can not only bring ourselves down to his level, but that we can start building a fucking basement onto to his hovel of hate!

Can I get a 'hell yeah!'?!

And once we have built that basement we will fill it with the collective bile he has wrot over his lifetime. Bile and feces with interest my brothers and sistas! And it will create a stank so so mighty that even Gowd himself will ask dear brother Phelps to take a shower before standing for judge-a-ment!

Mmmhmmm! Can I 'whoa damn!'?

Choir, please remind us of our daily prayer said for the soul of dear brother Phelps!
CAN I GET AN AMEN?!?!?

Mikkel421427

Nov 10, 2010
To quote Russell Howard "It's not something I would do, but I would giggle if I saw it". Yeah, the Westboro Baptist Twats are indeed horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible... *ten minutes later* horrible, HORRIBLE people. But let's not sink to their level. Let someone else do it. Though... I'm not saying we can't encourage it... A little bit... You know... At least... Driving the picketers to the guy's funeral.. Yeah... Sounds good

FateOrFatality

Mar 27, 2010
Like others, my initial reaction was to think hell yes, lets show them how it feels. But that made me think about it, and they'd probably only just enjoy the publicity and attention it gives them, the crazy bastards.

Sure, not going to their level is great and all, but I'd gladly do it for the satisfaction it would bring me, so that isn't the reason I wouldn't picket his funeral. The reason is that the most fitting punishment I can think of for the actions of the Phelps family is to be completely and utterly ignored.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
What if you were doing it ironically? :p
Joking. As poetically just as it might be, it's still stooping to their level, even if for different reasons. Picketing someone's funeral is an action that should be reviled, not emulated.

Matthew McDonald

Feb 21, 2010
Yes. An eye for eye and all that.

Definitely give them a taste of their own medicine. If that makes me petty, then so be it.

Draitheryn

Jan 20, 2010
Strike down one nut job the next one's already lined up to take his place. The world isn't short of ignorant people. I certainly wouldn't shed a tear but it's quite clear that that group needs help. How you get to the stage in your life where you harbour so much hatred is beyond me, but I would rather see them committed than harmed.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I'd be lying if I said the idea of picketing a WBC funeral is appealing, if only to make the survivors understand the emotional duress they inflicted on others. That said, in a perverse way I almost feel as if doing so would be almost honoring Phelps by carrying on his legacy in some form, even if it was directed at him. If nothing else, it would grant the family even more media attention, while simultaneously showing the worst in the protestors.

No, as much appeal as the idea has, I think there's a far more effective way to handle it. When he dies, what we should do is...nothing. Don't celebrate, don't mourn, don't even acknowledge Phelps' passing. Let the family grieve however they may, while the rest of the world ignores them. As I say it, that acts as a statement of their ineffectuality; a message saying that for all their actions, for all the pain they cause in life, for all their pleas for attention to the media, they will not effect the course of the world. By not making a scene acknowledging Phelps death, we give him one final insult: we allow him to be forgotten.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Everybody should turn up and pay their respects to him and pray for his soul. It will be exactly what the Phelps don't want.

I'd rather go to his funeral and make it like any other, than make it stand out as something important by picketing it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Nah, what'd be the point? He'd be too dead to notice, all you are doing is what you (in part) hate him for doing. He is utter vermin, yes, and his death would be a good thing, IMHO, but once he is dead, he is over.

Let him not be forgotten, let him be a reminder of what people can be if they choose, but otherwise, let him end and be done with.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
Bobbity said:
What if you were doing it ironically? :p
Joking. As poetically just as it might be, it's still stooping to their level, even if for different reasons. Picketing someone's funeral is an action that should be reviled, not emulated.
I agree, we should do this the paladin way! forgive them for their ignorance, and show them that we are the better people. also, any attention will fuel their power, because that's why they protest, for attention! DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

ajemas

Nov 19, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
I would do it in a heartbeat.

While many want to take the moral highground, everything this bastard has done to his cult and those who died makes it only fair to give him a little payback.

Plus, like many who watch his actions, if he says on his death bed "I did it for the lolz", I'm joining the WBC.
I understand where you're coming from, but what is it really accomplishing? What benefit, other than catharsis, would it have for those who want to spread tolerance and equality?
If you ask me, you have to do something pretty terrible to warrant ruining someone's funeral. I suppose that his actions might call for that kind of retribution, but personally I don't think so.

Powlee

Sep 30, 2010
It's a funeral, you should show respect to the the dead whether you liked them when they were alive or not. Even if you think what he did was wrong, being disrespectful does not make for a good argument. Pickiting his funeral because you don't like he was responsable for pickiting other funerals doesn't make any sense, it contradicts itself.