Poll: Police State USA: Boston Area Raids

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Boris Goodenough said:
wombat_of_war said:
he is? ah explains alot then. OP i hear tin foil hats will clear that drone worry issue right up for you
The problem with tin foil hats is that they actually increase the intensity of brain signals to the outside world http://www.howtogeek.com/114037/researchers-prove-tin-foil-hats-boost-receptivity-to-government-signals/

Edit: I also think this is appropriate
I lol'd.

I never, ever type that, on principle alone. But I fuckin' lol'd.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Aramis Night said:
Silly me. Here i was thinking that police were supposed to be apprehending criminals, not killing them outright. It is true that tranquilizers run the risk of not being effective vs weight class, but if your using a gun on a person small enough to easily subdue physically, than your doing it wrong. Concerning yourself with possibly OD'ing a perp, doesn't make much sense when your comparing it to a weapon that is specifically designed to kill people. The point of police is to get criminal's into a court of law for their crimes, not dispense street justice.

As for intimidation, I don't know too many people who are all that crazy about getting injection's the normal way. Fear of needles is pretty common, let alone fear of them being fired at you at high velocity. That and it would remove the whole romantic notion that some people have about going out in a blaze of glory vs. the cops if it would still end with them in a cage facing trial as opposed to dead and with no further concerns. People fear life in prison far more in most cases.

Most firefights dont take place over long ranges anyway. They are more likely to happen in tight spaces and short ranges. Police are not engaging in battlefield war time fighting. It is not as though i'm advocating for only the use of tranquilizer darts, just replacing the guns with them. They still have many other non-lethal weapon's at their disposal. we have tasers, stun guns, gas, batons. With all these options there is no good reason for guns to be a part of the arsenal.
Unfortunately (as yet) that won't work. No police force has replaced firearms with tranquilisers. There are police forces that don't have firearms as general issue, though.

Currently tranquiliser guns aren't a replacement for firearms. Police are only supposed to use their guns as a last resort, when life is under immediate threat. Under those circumstances you need to bring the target down right now, that's why once police officers start firing, they don't stop.

There's "don't shoot" and there's "kill", with little in between. Now, you can certainly argue that police officers move from "don't shoot" to "kill" too easily, but that's another matter.

Fleischer

Jan 8, 2011
Lionsfan said:
erttheking said:
You know, a lot of people from Boston are praising the way in which the police acted.

And as someone who lives in America, no it is not an Orwellian state, thank you very much.

Fleischer said:
BeerTent said:
This is why I'd never go to the US.
Suit yourself. I've lived most of my life in United States, but my wife and I have lived in England, Denmark, and Argentina. All told, you need to go to a place and live there to be even a small judge of that nation.

BeerTent said:
No warrant, no entry. I'm all for cooperating, but there's such a thing as violating my rights.
Incorrect. Law enforcement needs a warrant in most circumstances. I'll give you an example:

-You are pulled over. As the officer walks towards your car, he hears a banging and what appears to be muffled yelling. The officer sees that you are the only visible occupant of the vehicle. At that point, the officer has permission, due to the possibility of someone being in danger - aka the possible kidnapped person.
MetroidNut said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exigent_circumstance_in_United_States_law

Warrantless searches and seizures are permitted in circumstances of probable cause, extreme urgency, and/or danger to the public. Just like any case of alleged police misconduct, the wronged party can take the police to court if they feel exigent circumstance did not exist in their case.

It's hardly a police state when you can take the police to court.
ZeroMachine said:
MetroidNut said:

Warrantless searches and seizures are permitted in circumstances of probable cause, extreme urgency, and/or danger to the public. Just like any case of alleged police misconduct, the wronged party can take the police to court if they feel exigent circumstance did not exist in their case.

It's hardly a police state when you can take the police to court.
The sad thing is, even though this is probably the most intelligent and fact driven post in the entire thread, my own posts included, it'll probably fall on deaf ears.

A valiant attempt, though, my friend.
TheDrunkNinja said:
ZeroMachine said:
The sad thing is, even though this is probably the most intelligent and fact driven post in the entire thread, my own posts included, it'll probably fall on deaf ears.

A valiant attempt, though, my friend.
The people posting do seem to have little scope of the actual situation. I'm surprised at the preference to ignore all the points you've brought up as one who was closer to the event than anyone else here.

I think what grates me the most is the egregious use of the term "police state". Seriously what the hell?
Ssshhhh.....don't you guys realize this is supposed to be an overreaction thread? We don't need no facts, or logic up in here, just make wildly inaccurate claims about the US and how it's probably the worse place to live in the world because we have secret police knocking on our doors at night and shooting people without fear of punishment
Shit, I didn't get that memo. I was about to post a response filled with hatred, flaming any who dare read it, but it's so damn nice outside...

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Maybe if the raid was staged better... but it doesn't seem like they're thinking about that in their rush to find a suspect...

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
thaluikhain said:
Aramis Night said:
Silly me. Here i was thinking that police were supposed to be apprehending criminals, not killing them outright. It is true that tranquilizers run the risk of not being effective vs weight class, but if your using a gun on a person small enough to easily subdue physically, than your doing it wrong. Concerning yourself with possibly OD'ing a perp, doesn't make much sense when your comparing it to a weapon that is specifically designed to kill people. The point of police is to get criminal's into a court of law for their crimes, not dispense street justice.

As for intimidation, I don't know too many people who are all that crazy about getting injection's the normal way. Fear of needles is pretty common, let alone fear of them being fired at you at high velocity. That and it would remove the whole romantic notion that some people have about going out in a blaze of glory vs. the cops if it would still end with them in a cage facing trial as opposed to dead and with no further concerns. People fear life in prison far more in most cases.

Most firefights dont take place over long ranges anyway. They are more likely to happen in tight spaces and short ranges. Police are not engaging in battlefield war time fighting. It is not as though i'm advocating for only the use of tranquilizer darts, just replacing the guns with them. They still have many other non-lethal weapon's at their disposal. we have tasers, stun guns, gas, batons. With all these options there is no good reason for guns to be a part of the arsenal.
Unfortunately (as yet) that won't work. No police force has replaced firearms with tranquilisers. There are police forces that don't have firearms as general issue, though.

Currently tranquiliser guns aren't a replacement for firearms. Police are only supposed to use their guns as a last resort, when life is under immediate threat. Under those circumstances you need to bring the target down right now, that's why once police officers start firing, they don't stop.

There's "don't shoot" and there's "kill", with little in between. Now, you can certainly argue that police officers move from "don't shoot" to "kill" too easily, but that's another matter.
Tranquilizer guns aren't a replacement because no police force has done it before? And because police like to paint every scenario in terms of it being life threatening. Therefore, guns!?

If you sign up to be a cop, you should understand that your putting yourself in harms way. If you sign up for a dangerous job where death is an inherent occupational hazard, that is your choice. Your safety should becomes a secondary concern. When you sign up to kill other people as a matter of course for a paycheck, i can't sympathize. Maybe if the job was more protect and serve, and less about harassing citizens who are harming no one to get revenue for their municipality, while acting like just another gang, I'd feel a little differently. It has just become a little too obvious that cops are the last people who should have guns. I feel safer around drug addicts than i do cops and i don't even do drugs.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Aramis Night said:
Tranquilizer guns aren't a replacement because no police force has done it before? And because police like to paint every scenario in terms of it being life threatening. Therefore, guns!?
I mean that nowhere has been able to develop tranquilisers that replace firearms. They aren't (as yet) available.

And of course not every scenario is life threatening. But when it isn't, you don't shoot people with anything, dart or bullets or baton rounds or anything else. Less lethal weapons are still weapons, you don't use them lightly. There are to only be employed when people are in danger. They are (in certain circumstances) preferable to using bullets, but not to be used in circumstances where it is inappropriate to use bullets.

Of course, you have problems with police being very cavalier with how they use them, though.

Aramis Night said:
If you sign up to be a cop, you should understand that your putting yourself in harms way. If you sign up for a dangerous job where death is an inherent occupational hazard, that is your choice. Your safety should becomes a secondary concern. When you sign up to kill other people as a matter of course for a paycheck, i can't sympathize. Maybe if the job was more protect and serve, and less about harassing citizens who are harming no one to get revenue for their municipality, while acting like just another gang, I'd feel a little differently. It has just become a little too obvious that cops are the last people who should have guns. I feel safer around drug addicts than i do cops and i don't even do drugs.
Ah, well, that's a problem with police culture. It's an extremely serious, but separate issue.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
seveneddy said:
The fear of those americans is just great - they don't just fear the terrorism... they fear their own police.

Why would you say "I have nothing to hide - so they can search my home"? because you fear the cops.
Otherwise you would think "I have nothing to hide - so they don't need to search my home"

You know the terrorist is not in your house. So why let them search your house? They are waisting their and your time if they look in your house.
This is the most sense i've seen someone with so little posts make. People defending police knocking on your door and screaming "GET OUT GET OUT" while pointing assault rifles in your face are deluded into thinking that's ok. Simply knocking and asking if they can search, nicely would have done the same thing.

Here are two ways it can go down that wouldn't end up making a thread like this.

*knocks* Hello sir/madam. We're searching houses because of the recent bombings, may we come in?

If yes:

Searches house, finds nothing, leaves. Owner is happy, police haven't stepped on their rights.

If no:

Police watches house, gets warrant. If the owner still say's no they burst in, legally. If the owner goes "fair enough, you have a warrant, have at it" the owner is still happy, because the police haven't stepped on their rights.

Notice how both these options don't let the terrorist get away, nor do they step on your rights. Stand up for them.

seveneddy

Apr 5, 2013
LifeCharacter said:
Dogstile said:
It's great to see that, when hunting for someone believed to be armed, dangerous, and capable of either taking hostages or harming more people either with explosives or through other means, the police must maintain an air of complete calm and a lack of any alertness or caution. Why believe that the person responsible for multiple explosives as well as the murder of a police officer is not on any of the properties and act accordingly in reasonable anticipation of more fighting? It's not like they should worry that another firefight might start up when they find him, or care about their own safety and that of the people around them, making the people whose homes they're asking to search feel as though their is absolutely no pressure on them to say yes is the most important thing.

Tell you what, find someone who said no and still had their home searched, or someone who said yes but felt like they were being threatened to do so, then you might have something, because everyone so far from Boston or who knows people from Boston seems to be appreciative of the police's response. But what the fuck do they know, it's not like it was their (or their friends'/families') rights supposedly being trampled, meaning that they're opinion is much more important on the matter than everyone else's.
Thats what I said. Nobody can say something against the police. They are all patriots and if they say something against the police they are criminals. Never had it a Terrorist so easy...

It's simple in america - even thought it wasn't always that simple.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

btw. it's a really stupid idear to shoot at somebody that is known to build bombs...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
seveneddy said:
LifeCharacter said:
Dogstile said:
It's great to see that, when hunting for someone believed to be armed, dangerous, and capable of either taking hostages or harming more people either with explosives or through other means, the police must maintain an air of complete calm and a lack of any alertness or caution. Why believe that the person responsible for multiple explosives as well as the murder of a police officer is not on any of the properties and act accordingly in reasonable anticipation of more fighting? It's not like they should worry that another firefight might start up when they find him, or care about their own safety and that of the people around them, making the people whose homes they're asking to search feel as though their is absolutely no pressure on them to say yes is the most important thing.

Tell you what, find someone who said no and still had their home searched, or someone who said yes but felt like they were being threatened to do so, then you might have something, because everyone so far from Boston or who knows people from Boston seems to be appreciative of the police's response. But what the fuck do they know, it's not like it was their (or their friends'/families') rights supposedly being trampled, meaning that they're opinion is much more important on the matter than everyone else's.
Thats what I said. Nobody can say something against the police. They are all patriots and if they say something against the police they are criminals. Never had it a Terrorist so easy...

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

btw. it's a really stupid idear to shoot at somebody that is known to build bombs...
You know, I have to say that as an American, police are not viewed as this infallible military police force. My family has had to deal with the police multiple times, and every time they were very calm, polite, and professional.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
erttheking said:
seveneddy said:
LifeCharacter said:
Dogstile said:

- Benjamin Franklin

You know, I have to say that as an American, police are not viewed as this infallible military police force. My family has had to deal with the police multiple times, and every time they were very calm, polite, and professional.
I've never had a problem with the police, and I don't really believe that these people felt threatened or intimidated into letting the police check their homes. Nor do I believe that is what the person who the last person quoted was saying.

This isn't simply a matter of having different ideals. You can have a different mindset in America. You can believe in different things. What those two men did was not just "knowing how to build a bomb", it was using their knowledge to kill, for no other reason than to kill.

Further, as several people have pointed out. There is a legal work around for just this sort of thing which a lot of you seem to be conveniently ignoring or outright refusing to acknowledge.

Not everything is a conspiracy, the government boogy man is not out to get you, and for the love of god, if you honestly believe that every man, and woman in the army, police, CIA, FBI, DHS, or whatever else have you, would actually help with a betrayal of the citizens of the US. Then you have a serious problem, and you need to see someone for help.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Cecilo said:
erttheking said:
seveneddy said:
LifeCharacter said:
Dogstile said:

- Benjamin Franklin

I've never had a problem with the police, and I don't really believe that these people felt threatened or intimidated into letting the police check their homes. Nor do I believe that is what the person who the last person quoted was saying.

This isn't simply a matter of having different ideals. You can have a different mindset in America. You can believe in different things. What those two men did was not just "knowing how to build a bomb", it was using their knowledge to kill, for no other reason than to kill.

Further, as several people have pointed out. There is a legal work around for just this sort of thing which a lot of you seem to be conveniently ignoring or outright refusing to acknowledge.

Not everything is a conspiracy, the government boogy man is not out to get you, and for the love of god, if you honestly believe that every man, and woman in the army, police, CIA, FBI, DHS, or whatever else have you, would actually help with a betrayal of the citizens of the US. Then you have a serious problem, and you need to see someone for help.
Yeah. Come to think of it, aren't the police always blamed for just about everything that goes wrong in America? If a kid aims a fake but real looking gun at an officer and he shoots him, then the officer should've tried to take him down non-lethally. If someone goes on a rampage and the officer tries to get the guy to stand down and someone gets shot, he should've just killed him. If someone is biting, kicking and screaming while an officer tries to make an arrest and he has to use mace, then it's brutality. Let's face it, being a cop is a shitty job, no matter what you do, so many people are determined to hate you.

Rylingo

Aug 13, 2008
Really depends on the attitude and words used by the officer. If it's merely a request with no implied punishment for answering 'no'. Then Id let them right into my house. I don't mind. It's usually quicker for everyone, just to let them get on with their jobs.
If the officer has a threatening demeanour then there's no way I'm letting in without a warrant. I'm not inclined to enjoy the company of angry men with assault weapons.

seveneddy

Apr 5, 2013
LifeCharacter said:
seveneddy said:

- Benjamin Franklin
Where exactly do you live that you have this perception of American's perception of the police, because it's pretty inaccurate and whoever or whatever you got it from should probably be avoided form now on. When they're calm and professional (some of us) respect them as you kind of should, but when they fuck up we're not exactly tame in our critique of them.

Right, they should just let him shoot at them, because fuck the police's lives.
From Switzerland - pretty much every single men in that county has a machine gun. Never heard of a story where the police shot an unarmed man. Even though they have to assume that he could have a machine gun - or any other weapon. Guns, knives, samurai swords... everything legal in Switzerland. And we have some serious criminals in our country - not just white-collar crime... human trafficking is big in Switzerland...

And it's a stupid idear to shoot at somebody who builds bombs because he could wear a bomb at the moment... especially if he knows that the cops are searching for him... that I had to explain that......

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
We had about 69 deaths due to domestic terrorism in 2012. We also had around 400 "justified" homicides by police in the same year. Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
Aramis Night said:
We had about 69 deaths due to domestic terrorism in 2012. We also had around 400 "justified" homicides by police in the same year. Feel free to draw your own conclusions.
And I will still argue that this does not a police state make. In a true police state you would be told the police do no wrong, to go shut up, or have your family find your corpse strung up a pole.

Where as we in the US have records of each homicide. It is not the Police acting out of turn, they are not secret police, and they do not kill people because they have orders from higher ups to do so.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
LifeCharacter said:
Dogstile said:
seveneddy said:
The fear of those americans is just great - they don't just fear the terrorism... they fear their own police.

Why would you say "I have nothing to hide - so they can search my home"? because you fear the cops.
Otherwise you would think "I have nothing to hide - so they don't need to search my home"

You know the terrorist is not in your house. So why let them search your house? They are waisting their and your time if they look in your house.
This is the most sense i've seen someone with so little posts make. People defending police knocking on your door and screaming "GET OUT GET OUT" while pointing assault rifles in your face are deluded into thinking that's ok. Simply knocking and asking if they can search, nicely would have done the same thing.

Here are two ways it can go down that wouldn't end up making a thread like this.

*knocks* Hello sir/madam. We're searching houses because of the recent bombings, may we come in?

If yes:

Searches house, finds nothing, leaves. Owner is happy, police haven't stepped on their rights.

If no:

Police watches house, gets warrant. If the owner still say's no they burst in, legally. If the owner goes "fair enough, you have a warrant, have at it" the owner is still happy, because the police haven't stepped on their rights.

Notice how both these options don't let the terrorist get away, nor do they step on your rights. Stand up for them.

Did you read the first page of the thread? You clearly didn't, because someone posted a fucking video showing that a guy opened the door, was faced with assault rifles and told to get out.

That's a raid without a warrant and is still illegal.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I honestly wouldnt care, they didnt throw down the door or anything, if all I have to do is open the door and raise my arms then I dont see the problem. Me acting all like "I know my rights, you need a warrant" on them would be as time wasting for me as it would be for them.

I know that it sucks and can be annoying but you know what is also annoying? Having a guy that planted a bomb in a public place still hiding somewhere in the city. Until the whole thing is over just accept that everything will be a little tense for a while, for you and for the cops.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Cecilo said:
Aramis Night said:
And I will still argue that this does not a police state make. In a true police state you would be told the police do no wrong, to go shut up, or have your family find your corpse strung up a pole.

Where as we in the US have records of each homicide. It is not the Police acting out of turn, they are not secret police, and they do not kill people because they have orders from higher ups to do so.
I never stated anything about a police state. Here if you point out police misconduct, you won't be killed. Harassed perhaps, but more likely ignored. I didn't make any claims of secret police. It's not likely i would be able to reference a years death toll if that was the case. Our police kill citizens right out in the open. And its perfectly legal for them to do so. They don't need orders from higher up for that. Just personal volition and a pretense.