Poll: Poll: BioWare or Bethesda?

josephmatthew10

Jun 24, 2010
Hey, all you fellow RPG fans out there!

We all know that BioWare and Bethesda are two of the biggest RPG studios in the video game industry, but which of the two do you prefer? Feel free to comment even if you don't have a serious preference.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Bethesda was great, but somewhere along the way they lost the narrative inside a giant sandbox desert of a game. I think there may actually be such a thing as too unfocused, though I'm sure a few would beg to disagree.

Sep 13, 2009
BioWare. I've just always felt like the story and writing were much more immersive than Bethseda. I also always thought Bethesda's games lacked a lot of direction, it just sort of set a massive world before you and didn't really tell you where to go.

However, if you could combine Bethesda's gameplay and world style, and BioWare's writing and story development I think it would possibly be the best RPG known to man.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I've only scratched the surface of the western rpg genre, but the few hours I've played of KOTOR have been far more engaging than Fallout 3, a game I have hated on at length in past posts. So, Bioware.

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
Eh...both are great, but Bethesda loses points for having their name attached to the abomination known as Fallout New Vegas. I know they didn't develop it, but they still published it.

Bioware's games are great, but I think I still enjoyed getting lost in the worlds of Oblivion and Fallout 3 enough to even the scales.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
Silly question. Of course Bioware. They at least try making dialog that doesn't make me cringe.

knight56

Aug 12, 2009
How about we hook them up at a party and go with Biothesda. Bioware keeps its narritive while opening up the world more. Bethesda keeps its freedom while offering better combat. And Bioware should pick up the slack Q/A testing by itself.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Bethesda are worse at doing quality control, gameplay mechanics, animation, writing and directing VO.
Not a contest and I'm not even a Bioware fan.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
It's not even a question for me, Bioware all the way! Bethesda's games are so glitchy nowadays... But old school fallout was great!

thebighead01

Sep 9, 2010
bioware, all the way. i like bethesda and what they aim to achieve with their sandbox games; fallout 3 was simply massive. i couldn't do everything in there even if i tried. but bioware do something better than bethesda and that's story. their focus on story is for me what gaming should be all about, and is the potential that this medium has for story telling that bioware unlike any other company has been able to tap into.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
They're both awesome, but I voted on Bioware since I feel that they care more for their games. I've had damn fun with Fallout 3 and Oblivion, but the Mass Effect games and Dragon Age made me feel more drawn into the story. Bethesda offers more freedom of moving around however... Bah, I hate VS threads! :p

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Bethesda is great at making huge detailed wolrds that are fun to get lost in.

Bioware is great at creating wonderful stories and believable charecters (except Kaiden Alenko).

So both are equally great from my stand point.

stiffy

Mar 23, 2010
I gotta vote on what I'm looking forward to in 2011....Bethesda

For Bioware DA2 will be awesome, but with pointy-er armor, and with ME3 you pretty much know what will go down....Shep recruits, goes to earth...visits some future version of a identifiable historical landmark - kills reapers. If you want to see the Me3 engine, buy the PS3 version.

With SKYRIM, all we know is: Dragons, mountains, and it will be in a juicy new engine created by Bethesda/id (why else would BETHSOFT buy Id, than to steal their graffix techs!) Who knows what will go down yet. Will Bethesda finally put the 3 voice actors who voiced ALL of Oblivion out to pasture?? At least the trailer has Max (the merciless)Von Sydow!!!

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Bioware wins for being Canadian, but I've preferred Bethesda's more recent outings(FO3,NV) to BioWare's(with the exception of DA:O.) In other words, I like Fallout more than Mass Effect.

In order of how pumped I am for release: Dragon Age 2 > ESV: Skyrim > ME3.