Poll: Poll: Does Call of Duty deserve all the hate it gets?

Ironbat92

Nov 19, 2009
I never was interested in the Call of Duty games till a few weeks ago. I tried my Brothers copy of Modern Warfare 2, and I fell in love with it. It's single player maybe short, but it's much better than Bad Company 2 was, and had a lot of great set pieces. I then tried Black Ops, good not great, and the original, still great. I start looking at some review online from IGN, Gamespot, Gametrailers, est., and I constantly see a lot of hate on this series. I never get a good, logical reason outside of either A "dur, its stopidz", B "Itz overated,", or C "Military Realism can't be a form of escapism because it in real life. Super Mario Brothers and stuff like that is." They're pretty stupid and idiotic reasons if you ask me. What do you all think?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
No, its certain people who play online that should be hated, not the franchise in general.

I will only TRULY defend Zombies. I will defend some things in this franchise but Zombies is a work of true art. (Besides COD4)

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Not really...
It's overrated, but that's about it.

Wait, forgot the online, hate them. Zombies is good. ;)

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
Call of Duty is a fast-paced, fairly fun game that is incredibly easy to start up and play.

However, it can be incredibly frustrating at times, the fanbase is generally pretty shit, they put out a new copy each year, and Activision is a bunch of greedy bastards.

So, no, it doesn't deserve ALL the hate. Mind you, it still deserves some hate. Just not all of it.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
Personally I know a lot of people that rage on and on and on about how Call of Duty is the best FPS franchise there is. I won't argue with them about it either. CoD does have a lot going for it. The graphics are good, the gameplay is good. But it does have a lot of downsides as well. Because it is so popular EA milks the hell out of it. And each new release isn't that different from the last. The games don't really change from one to the next.

The games breeds people that think because they are good at a FPS they know everything their is to know about guns(observation of mine, you start talking about guns they start dropping facts about them and you can bet your ass they make at least one CoD reference in there about them), and they think they actually know how to use guns(this is similar to the Guitar Hero makes a good guitar player disease).

I don't think it deserves all the hate, but the people that jump on the game calling everyone fags or various racial slurs need to have the game taken away until they are the right age to play it mentally, not physically. The games will die out and get boring as time goes on, people will get tired of dropping 60 bucks when all they have to do it play the last game to get the same thrills.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
It's trapped between people vocally hating it because it's attained a measure of popularity among the 'bro' crowd and people vocally proclaiming it the 'best game series evah!', mostly in defence from the previous crowd.

It's perhaps a little over-rated, sure, but it's not a bad series. The map pack DLC prices are too high, though.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
No, and neither does any other game. If people really hated it they would stop playing it and quit their incessant bitching.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
The biggest problems I have with the modern warfare series are that its very overrated and that it sells incredibly well. When you think about it those two things together are very bad for the industry... a mediocre game selling shit-tonnes and making the developer/publisher a mint is just going to set precedents for others to follow making similar mediocre games and incorporating the same mechanics in other games even where they don't really fit.

A successfully blockbuster series is almost like a disease, infecting all the other games around it.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
It's a perfectly good series. Some criticisms about it are valid but it seems to be overwhelmed by the "I hate it because it's popular" group.

Not the best series of games ever, but by no means the worst.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
robert01 said:
Personally I know a lot of people that rage on and on and on about how Call of Duty is the best FPS franchise there is. I won't argue with them about it either. CoD does have a lot going for it. The graphics are good, the gameplay is good. But it does have a lot of downsides as well. Because it is so popular EA milks the hell out of it. And each new release isn't that different from the last. The games don't really change from one to the next.

The games breeds people that think because they are good at a FPS they know everything their is to know about guns(observation of mine, you start talking about guns they start dropping facts about them and you can bet your ass they make at least one CoD reference in there about them), and they think they actually know how to use guns(this is similar to the Guitar Hero makes a good guitar player disease).

I don't think it deserves all the hate, but the people that jump on the game calling everyone fags or various racial slurs need to have the game taken away until they are the right age to play it mentally, not physically. The games will die out and get boring as time goes on, people will get tired of dropping 60 bucks when all they have to do it play the last game to get the same thrills.
EA milks the hell out of it? I think they want quite the opposite to happen actually.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
Richardplex said:
robert01 said:

EA milks the hell out of it? I think they want quite the opposite to happen actually.
Eh EA, Activision all the same evil when you really look at it. But yes that was my mistake.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
It depends on what section of "hate" you are talking about. Is it destroying the FPS genre and possibly gaming as a medium? No. Is it mediocre, overrated, and plagued by bad design decisions? Absolutely.

weker

May 27, 2009
Overrated by the simple minded.
Badly designed gameplay using gimmicks.
Short campaign.
All its issue have become the norm.
Its fanbase have festered and plagued other games.
It introduce the most minor of minor changes each game.
People get too addicted to it.
Too many children play it and it does effect them (other games to but to a much lesser extent)
Modern warfare 2 used unnecessary controversy to sell.
It funds Activision.
It funds the parasite called Treyarch.
People play it so much that they don't play other games.
Uses highly addictive game mechanics to encourage addiction rather then fun.

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
It's a good series nobody can deny that, however it's the internet and people love to hate popular things like COD and Halo.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
Terminate421 said:
No, its certain people who play online that should be hated, not the franchise in general.
yes i agree, however when i ever voice complaints about the play tactics that piss me off the most i get told "it's a legit tactic bro!" or "we'll you just suck for not playing like that then!" and i notice that often times the people using the faggotry tactics are the ones that make the fans in general look like crap, the whiny 12 year old that nobody likes is usually the one running noobtubes and what not is what i'm saying