Poll: Poll: Does Call of Duty deserve all the hate it gets?

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
Shameless said:
It's a good series nobody can deny that, however it's the internet and people love to hate popular things like COD and Halo.
I am out right denying your claim that A) it is a good series, and B) no one can deny it is a good series (see A). Call of Duty started from the glorious position of superb PC shooter, but once it touched consoles, it got infected with the bad; now they re-release CoD4 every year with a few "extras" and call it "the next 'Call of Duty'". Oh, and what's that on the horizon? Call of Duty Elite? Or, in other words, "confirmation that the Activision is using addiction tactics to get people hooked, then continually milking those suckers and the series as a whole."

I'm not saying you can't enjoy the series, I'm not saying you can't buy the next Call of Duty, and I'm not even saying there aren't people who are insanely and genuinely in love with the series for legitimate reasons (such as zombies, zombies kicks ass); this is all fine. What I am saying, however, is that the way Activision handles the series is not fine, and this is something you can't deny. Activision intentionally utilizes methods to get people addicted to the online component, and soon will begin to make money off this.

And that is just one of the many reasons I despise the recent additions to the Call of Duty franchise.

OdyCay

Aug 29, 2010
it should not be hated but instead infinity ward should stop the mw games cod4 was the last one with a real replay goodness and mw2 was just the same game on steroids and mw3 is the the sam
(cod4 the best one tho)

Iklwa

Jan 27, 2010
robert01 said:
The games breeds people that think because they are good at a FPS they know everything their is to know about guns(observation of mine, you start talking about guns they start dropping facts about them and you can bet your ass they make at least one CoD reference in there about them), and they think they actually know how to use guns(this is similar to the Guitar Hero makes a good guitar player disease).
This is so true. I'm a weapons instructor for the Army, and "This isn't call of Duty, dumbass; shut up and listen." comes only second to "Stop calling me sir."

Odysseous2

Jul 19, 2011
Call of Duty was a good game.

Then they re-released it seventy-million times, and at that point, it really makes you wonder why people are still buying it every year.

Call of Duty as a concept is pretty good. But it can't retain its value and appeal after being pumped out for the fourth year straight with no significant changes or improvements. Clearly, someone in development has never heard of the Law of Diminishing Returns.

Gregg Lonsdale

Jan 14, 2011
I don't mind it, I don't own any but I play it online splitscreen at my friends house every so often. It's alright, but it doesnt have the variety and fun of Team Fortress 2, and it definitely doesn't deserve the high review scores or nine-figure profits. The reason it's so hated is that it represents the ability of developers to make games with little or no innovation and earn massive profits, which causes producers to restrict creativity on other projects to ensure the most profit, because a lot of people are morons who get scared by new things. And whether you like cod or you dont, at this point it's definitely not anything new.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Its cool to hate on CoD. Thats why people do it.

There are people who don't like the game legitimately, but I'd say majority of them are just hopping on the bandwagon.

HyperDalek

May 30, 2011
The franchise has fallen into idiocy. Modern Warfare was good. As was World at war. I should clarify I'm talking about campaigns here, Modern Warfare 2...ludicrous and the trend continued with Black Ops. I'll relinquish my hate when the story actualy makes some sense or comes out as a blatant parody.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Not really, most COD games are fairly solid and can be pretty fun if you get lucky and don't have to deal with the screaming retards that populate it.

It is incredibly overrated though. There's very little innovative, original or at all worthwhile in it. Every game since COD4 has simply been a rehash with slightly updated graphics. They're the FPS equivalent of the Madden games. Can be fun, but once you buy one, there's absolutely no reason to buy any others, and there's really no reason it should be making nearly as much money as it does.

flamingjimmy

Jan 11, 2010
No, but nor does it deserve all the love it gets either, it's just that people's views get so polarised.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
TheDarkEricDraven said:
It really depends. I don't really like it, but some do. On the other hand, I'm at a loss for how something can be both overated and hated like hell.
This. I'm of the mind that it's both undeserving of all the hatred, yet simultaneously it's overrated.

It's kind of like Rush Limbaugh.

C_Holmes

Jun 16, 2011
The two main reasons I see for all of the Call of Duty hate, is 1. because people blame it for any bland 1st person shooter that come out, and 2. there are people that will jump on the bandwagon and hate on it without a reason of their own.

May 5, 2010
Nope. Single player and co-op modes have always been great, the multiplayer has been...spotty. At it's best in COD4, hasn't been as good since. Black OPs is at least playable, unlike what MW2 eventually became. *insert rant about dual wielding shotguns*

KingFall

Sep 18, 2010
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Nope. Single player and co-op modes have always been great, the multiplayer has been...spotty. At it's best in COD4, hasn't been as good since. Black OPs is at least playable, unlike what MW2 eventually became. *insert rant about dual wielding shotguns*
On that note, did you know there's a shotgun you can dual-wield on Black Ops? I've seen one person use it. He sucked. Not as in it worked. He sucked and died. I tried it. I also sucked and died.

CoD doesn't suck. It's a good game. Sometimes you just gotta stick with it. Innovation is good to a point. To a point. I can innovate a smaller, rapid fire gun to help me in close fighting (SMG) or I can 'innovate' a gun that shoots larger guns. That shoot knives. That explode on stab. Into funfetti. That catches on fire...

If we could do something like the halberd with Modern weapons, that'd be your ONLY fucking option.

The only things I don't like about COD are two things.
1) Named after a fish that I wish would die.
2) Why you so fucktarded, 75% of CoD players?

Neither of which are The Sucky Fish's fault.

Deadman Walkin

Jul 17, 2008
After what they did to the PC version of MW2, I say yes. No dedicated servers, plenty of hacker issues, plenty of lag, no mods/user maps and ontop of that they expect us to pay for DLC. This is PC we are talking here....

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
I'm not a fan of the rest of it but Zombies will get another thumbs up from me.
That said, you wouldn't have to look far to find an "actual" zombie game thats better.