Poll: Poll: Does Call of Duty deserve all the hate it gets?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I dislike the franchise because it's being milked, just like Madden and Guitar Hero. Very little changes between iterations, the single player campaigns tend to make little sense (other than the one from Cod 4), and the multiplayer is very badly balanced in all the games.

The game takes little skill, and there's very little depth to it. No matter how good you are at the call of duty games, you'll still die by stupid bullshit like RC cars and predator missiles, and 20 foot knife lunges, and no matter how bad you are at the game, you can still get kills by complete and utter luck.

This isn't to say that the games aren't fun. If you don't take them too seriously, and play them with friends, they can be a blast, but the series really doesn't deserve the money it rakes in every year.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
TheDarkEricDraven said:
It really depends. I don't really like it, but some do. On the other hand, I'm at a loss for how something can be both overated and hated like hell.
Exactly, but based on the Escapist it's possible. :p

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
No. There are many people out there who simply hate it because it's popular, and that's all the reason they have. They may give you other reasons, but 96% of the time those same reasons can be applied to every other shooter out there, yet they don't get nearly as much flak. I also believe a lot of the hate has to do with the fact that Activision puts it out, and people hate Activision too.

Monsieur E

Jul 1, 2011
robert01 said:
Because it is so popular EA milks the hell out of it.
What? I had no idea EA made Call of Duty. Maybe the Battlefield/MW3 war is just a means for publicity; so both sell well?

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Zombies is definitely overrated. It's fun the first 3-4 times you play each map, but then it's just repetitive and kinda boring.

Multiplayer is still the best in the genre, although Black Ops is a steaming pile of shit compared to CoD4 and MW2.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
The games aren't bad. United Offensive is among my favorite games ever.

It's just the biggest target representing what's wrong with the video game industry.

mikeli4194

Jan 10, 2010
Every game that is THAT popular always runs the risk of being hated. Notice how people only talk about how they hate Halo, COD, Gears of War, and games like that?
Has it been going downhill since the 4th one? Yes, but only at a gentle slope. Hopefully MW3 will get it back on the right track.
The series doesn't deserve the hatred it gets. It's just too popular for its' own good

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
I dislike the game, personally. Yet, I still say no.
The game play is easy to pick up and quick-paced, and the perk/spawn-with-weapon (brainfart kills name) helps solve 'he got sniper first!' issues. Easy kills and headshots also draw some to a game, and thus anyone can really win, no matter what gun.
Though, something I dislike is that there is nothing new with each game: Smg, Sniper, Pisol, Assault Rifle, et cetera, divided up with different stats (that do nothing) to kill in 3 hits each, and BLAM; New Game's out!

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
Of course not. I am not a fan of the series, yet I would describe it as above average at least. The visuals continue to be top-notch, the controls are smooth and simple, and the voice acting is stellar, due to the inclusion of the better B-List Actors (Gary Oldman, Sam Worthington, etc.)

I can see where people can start to dislike it, given its ravenous fanbase, Tom Clancy-style stories, and poor multiplayer environment, but the games are still very good overall.

It comes down to hating it because it is popular, or because of its fans, or because of its story. All three are based on personal views. Something's popularity doesn't really bother me as much as it might other people. And so on.

jaateloauto

Jan 23, 2008
Quake, Unreal Tournament, Counter-Strike, Halo, Call of Duty. Solid, easy games for the masses. Not deserving of critical acclaim but are Avatar and Transformers some of the greatest movies ever made? Are Britney Spears and Usher best artists of all time?

Anyhow, I tend to find most FPS games rather boring (online team deathmatch with strangers, they're still hilarious on LAN) so I've only played one game in the series, and not even that online. I haven't seen a lot of criticism made against it though, most of my Xbox Live friends have the latest game in the series and it seems to me the general attitude towards it is pretty positive.

I also really hate the term "overrated". It doesn't really mean anything.

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
Nah, it doesn't deserve so much hate. It's just starting to get in a rut, cranking out the same game over and over with a different story-line. Unoriginality is CoD's real crime. But with the money it generates, who can really blame them?

And yeah, a lot of assholes play it online, but a lot of assholes play a lot of games online.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
i blame roughly the 65% of the community bunch of selfish arrogant arseholes who ***** to everyone

but the 35% are REALLY awesome to play with and are real smart.

But i think COD as a whole is 'All right' its not Bad its Alright like a 6.5

i enjoy playing it and having a chat but other then that its not up there with my all time fave series

DexterNorgam

Jul 16, 2011
I wouldn't say it deserves all of the hate it gets. It's a bit "samey" across the series, and the single player definitely crested in Modern Warfare, but the truth is that it simultaneously caters to those who want goofy fun and those who are looking for a highly competitive experience.

Its success may not be having the greatest impact on the FPS scene, but I can't hold that against the game itself. Its successful because the formula works.

If anything about it really earns the hate, its the hackers/glitchers/and tryhards that make up some unknowable percentage of its playerbase.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
COD is brilliant. Its simple, easy to pick up yet getting skillful at it takes up a lot of time. It takes advantage of the multiplayer crowd and the single player (for treyarch at least) has been getting better each game.

Reason its hated? Nerds who dislike popular things exist. I will never cease to find it amusing how people can hate "mainstream" games like COD then flock to minecraft, stalker, whatever indie game is in the spotlight at the time.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
ShadowRatchet92 said:
They're pretty stupid and idiotic reasons if you ask me. What do you all think?
Gamings ultimate purpose is entertainment, games aren't meant to educate. Anyone saying that these games are unrealistic are the same people who scoff every time James Bond jumps out of an airplane.

Anyway, if these games don't entertain you, then you find another game that does. These complaints are just people trying to enforce their opinions upon others. They're not worth getting your knickers in a bunch.

But really, it's not like CoD's fanbase represents a minority and their sales are definitely not hurting.

Keep on gamin'. You're in good company.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
yes, bad story, bad characters, eye strain colors and graphics, element that are just in bad taste, copy and pasted multiplayer, and lieing for saying its innovative and or new.

and a shit community.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I don't hate CoD or its playerbase. I simply don't understand the fascination. I guess no one notices that the levels are incredibly linear, dull, feature very little ?gameplay? at all ? just scripted events. I really don't see how anyone can enjoy the single-player more than watching a movie, and the multiplayer is only playable due to the fact that it's still just a rehashed Quake 3 engine... :/

Enjoy your 15 minute level where the game doesn't trust you to do anything so it holds your hand through the entire experience. I guess it's "Cinematic" and "Polished" or whatever people say a non-interactive game is these days, so if you enjoy it, great, if not, great.

I don't think the game deserves to be hated more, but I think putting out the same game 4-5 times in a row (everything since CoD4) shouldn't be rewarded, and I don't think it should make nearly as much money as it does.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Iv'e honestly enjoyed all the campaigns in the recent CoD games. THey're a little silly and over the top but that works in games. It's good stupid fun.

Multiplayer? Can't be arsed.