Poll: Poll: high school... here I come

Undeadpope

Feb 4, 2009
I never had any of the cliché highschool troubles,especially for the nearest thing to a "nerd" in my entire year,hell,maybe even the school.

But generally,I would say I am quite likeable and I am would be well capable tyo defend myself(though I proably wouldn't,once someone jumped on me from behind and hit me,when I hit them back and made thier nose bleed,I ran away and started crying because I hurt them)
and most importantly I never give anyone a reason to do anything ill agaisnt me,even if I am picked out totally at random or because I have long hair(a rarity in males in my school),if that is the case I wouldn't give them the satisfaction out of getting to me,I would just totally ignore them.

Edit:And the tips,well basically this,ignore assholes and treat everyone like a friend.
And be sure to actually make a few friends,I met four friends by stopping one of them in a hallway because one looked like another of my friends(I would of been in my 2nd year,they were just in the first) and don't be afriad to hang out with people who are older than,in fact I would say it can do wonders for putting you a few years ahead in your mental age,for my first and second year most of my friends(and my closest friends) where in their final years.

SeriousSquirrel

Mar 15, 2010
Academicly, my year sucked. I didn't get any f's on the report card, but just barely. As far as personnel life, it was alright. My biggest suggestion would be to put in the effort to pull off a B, even if you hate the class.

Hypocritical thing for me to say though, as I will continue to be a slacker and half-ass most school work. Oh and I'm going into sophmore year, so it'll be a long three years

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
It was very fun inbetween the boring bits.

Which I thankfully forgot. When I look back through the rosy-tinted glasses of nostalgia, it seems as if all I did was jack shit, except for smoking, drinking and having a blast with my peers.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Im just going to say my secondary school one as I think its slightly diffrent in the U.K.

It was fine.

Had plenty of free time.

Even when revising for GCSE's I had enough spare time to do stuff.

Now Im just waiting for my results, I only need 4 to get in to collage, then maybe Uni:p

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
Could've been worse. Could've been better.

I didn't particularly like it because it was all male. I might even have caused less shit if I was too preoccupied with girls... or more if they egged me on o0. I don't know.

Dxz5roxg

Aug 19, 2009
For me it's exactly the same as middle school. But somehow better. Really it's just a way to kill six hours everyday. Don't worry you'll be fine.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
It was the definition of meh. High schoolers are lame. My advice is to just say fuck that shit, use the time to develop some discipline, study, and life skills -get used to reading ahead and doing more work than the teacher requires. Get out, go to college, and laugh at the morons that still think it's cool to brag about being arrested for drunk driving.

Make friends with teachers. Not the class pet type of friend. Show them you're mature in a sea of unwashed filth, and they'll love you. They've been to college. They've probably been in school longer than you ever will. Their advice is worth it's weight in gold when you get out.

The Arc of Eden

Jun 7, 2010
Tips:
Bust your ass off til junior year. By that I mean take some extra classes and earn your credits faster. So you can either start planning for college, or just slacking and partying all of senior year.

Keep track of your records. Your administrators and counselors are ignorant pricks that will fuck you over and not know it until your future has been severely inconvenienced. Put them in their place.

Show teachers respect and they will love you. Considering all the attitudes and bullshit they have to put up with, keeping your own shit under control and out of the classroom alone will buy you good karma. Instantly redeemable.

Your peers are more than likely a diverse group of people. Most of which will fall under unfortunate stereotypes. Despite this, keep those observations to yourself and wait til you know individuals before judging them. This too will stab drama in its already bleeding heart before you get yourself in an out-of-hand situation.

There's always a weed dealer around. If you want to try it go ahead. I wouldn't recommend doing it during class though. It can be one of the greatest experiences of your life but the risk isn't worth it.

Girls are vindictive. Just don't piss them off. (This is a generalization and should not be applied to all. Though you shouldn't piss 'em off anyway.)

Randamo

May 30, 2010
The first couple of years sucked because all my male friends went to other schools - the smart school, whereas I went to the poorer, dumber public school. The only other people I knew previously started acting like jerks, like they'd outgrown me or something. But I got to know some cool girls who I got along with. I was pretty depressed for a while but I reached a point where I didn't care and just allowed myself to stand out as who I was - occasionally jerky, definantly not a party guy and smart. Don't care about what anyone thinks about you.

After I left school I realised just how hard real life is - doing study you wanted to do and doing it well, supporting yourself with a sucky fast food job where I got yelled at systematically every hour and dealing with flack from your parents. I barely saw anyone I went to school with and I don't really remember them.

In short - school can be damaging, but toughen up, be a man, if you can, because it's gonna get a lot tougher from then on!

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
High school...dammit, i always mix all those school years up. Does high school start usually when you're 13 ? If it does, and end when you're 15 or 16, then i can say: worst time of my life. Seriously, i hate those memories, don't even want to think back to that time. Before that life was meh, and after, everything got pretty ok, and now (i'm 18, starting the final year in my school before going to a University) life's getting better and better.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Don't be too loud, or you'll appear obnoxious.
But don't be too quiet, or people will call you "that weird kid."
Strike the right balance, and you'll be fine.

Feb 19, 2010
Mordan Freeman said:
This may seem cliché, but hear me out. I'm entering high school next year. What should I expect? Is it time to crack down on the hard work and leave my social life behind? Or will I be constantly getting wasted by senior year? Got any tips? Thanks in advance!
carck down on everything and become an emotinless machine.and work REALLY hard. thats what im doing now. and trust me, it might work to get you to college. i just keep my self from snacking on a shotgun by gaming and exercise and playing a new MMO called outside. after you've ploughed through all the homework, you can go on with your normal life. im only in second year(even though im only 15, hold on i ll get to the explanation) so heres a few tips.

1- work hard, and in the classroom lock up your social life in a cage

2- after you've done you're work, unlock your social life give it some chicken kievs, play an MMO called Outside, where you can do whatever you want.

rinse and reapeat.

but only take classes you KNOW you can do. and ecpect jerks, fags, and a lot of other things. welcome to the jungle

also, im only in second year, cos when my family came here to ireland, after the CCCP collapsed,i didnt know the english language so i had to learn engrish for a year.

Taddy

Jan 28, 2010
High school was actually pretty good to me, till a doctor told me i was apparently suicidal and sent me home to do homeschooling for a couple of years. So High school at the moment is pretty lonely and quiet...

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Just make sure you don't fall behind in your work and find a good group of friends, find a place for you all to "hang out" and don't let your social life destroy your work life.

Circleseer

Aug 14, 2009
It was all rather pointless and difficult for me. I wanted to actually learn something, and that's not what I got. Teachers want you to pass tests, nothing more. Anything that won't be in the test is something they don't want to answer. I did most of my learning outside of school. I did learn a lot socially though, had friends go through big troubles..

So anyway;
Just don't start anything, and keep to the background. It's the best way to roll. You'll find some mates, and some assholes. Just don't act up too much, and be average. You'll come into contact with some bad stuff no doubt, ranging from drugs to far, far worse. Steer clear from that stuff, and you'll be okay.

TheZapper

Jul 11, 2009
awsome117 said:
The Geek Lord said:
I'm going to be a junior next year, so, here's my advice.

Get some fucking friends. Don't be an anti-social, sarcastic, smug, miserable little pile of secrets with a superiority complex who may or may not be dead on the inside. We don't need two of me in the universe.

On a slightly related note, while I haven't been in a relationship, I can give you one word of advice for when you are: Condom.
You basically described the first two years of my high school years lol
I thought I was the only one!

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
The DSM said:
Im just going to say my secondary school one as I think its slightly diffrent in the U.K.

It was fine.

Had plenty of free time.

Even when revising for GCSE's I had enough spare time to do stuff.

Now Im just waiting for my results, I only need 4 to get in to collage, then maybe Uni:p
You only need 4?!

I had to have 5. Thank God I got 9 As, but I worked my arse off.

Now in college, my grades slipped. All I can say is turn up to classes and listen to everything. You can also sustain a social life at the same time, which is great, but don't put that in the way of your grades because you will suffer.

Nihilism_Is_Bliss

Oct 27, 2009
BrionJames said:
Remember this young friend. Having a girlfriend may be great and a big social icon, but never let her get in the way of your GOOD friends. Mind you I'm not talking about people you drink with but people you've known forever. So pay heed and listen to someone who went through it, always cherish your friends, because women, both young and old, will come and go.
hear hear.

but meh, i thought, as you do, i had it bad when i was in high school.
But then i realized it was actually fun, pretty much as soon as I left.
In comparison to life afterwards that is.
Enjoy your early years of high school where you actually don't have to do anything. cherish them.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
link141 said:
The Austin said:
Don't buy into the whole "SENIORS BEAT UP FRESHMAN OMG" bullshit, because frankly, seeing a pack of Freshman is just as common in High School as seeing a herd of cows as it is in Wisconsin.

And frankly, us upperclassman like to keep you Freshman as pets. I have a pet Freshman, and his name is Karl. He is a wonderful little fellow.

You'll be fine.
Wait what,I didn't know we can do that.
Well we can, and it's awesome. It's like having a tiny entourage.