Poll: Poll of the Day #16: Favorite Call of Duty?

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Yep, today's poll is on the juggernaut of the gaming industry itself. Which Call of Duty, if any, is your favorite and why? Keep civil and follow the sites rules as usual. Now I got to get back to dinner, so see ya!

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Having only played 4 and MW2 fresh out of launch its without a doubt 4. Didnt get to play 2 when it came out and while it seemed fun it somehow seemed to miss the freshness.

4 blended the feeling of being just another random soldier (USMC) with being part of a special unit (SAS), it also had a lot of very fresh moments in the single player that other games (and its sequels) would keep imitating for some years.

The multiplayer also had a good amount of depth while keeping it simple and easy (MW2 just went overboard in my opinion, it was the last COD I got and it annoyed me that there was this huge list of things you had to be carefull about to not get killed, predators only gave you like 5 seconds of warning and you could have at least 3 different kind of overpowered enemies at the same time in the air, while having to deal with those fast as fuck knife guys and rocket spammers). 4 had some issues online too like the grenade spam, martyrdom and juggernaut but for the most part it was alright.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Tanis said:
I liked the pre-360 ones.

The older PS2 and PS1 games.
Arent you confusing it with Medal of Honor? Call of Duty was never on the PS1.

And weirdly enough they are probably the lowest rating Call of Duty games, being them Finest Hour, Big Red One and Call of Duty 3.

World at War also got a PS2 release, kind of weird they skipped 4

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
I only ever fully played the first Call of Duty and Call of Duty 4, while partially playing the second one. Only the single player, mind, as my house didn't have internet then. Between those choices, I guess Call of Duty 4. It was pretty fun, for the most part and had some cool scripted moments that transitioned fluidly with real-time gameplay. Pretty innovative game for its time, I think. The first game was fun, but had some not-so-great missions.

Edit: Though I always liked the different perspectives shown in the first game, what with US, British and Russian soldiers. It was the first WWII FPS, I think, that went into any depth with a non-US perspective. It would have been cool if there was a fourth little "campaign" playing as a German soldier as well.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Cawwaduty 2, yeah, sure, it might've had the biggest historical emphasis out of the rest of the series, and the Russian campaign was pretty spectacular, but it's pretty boring otherwise. The gameplay never evolved much past shooting at guys with bolt-action rifles or shooting at guys with SMGs or LMGs, with one or two brief moments you have to destroy tanks with TNT or a Panzerschrek. People complain later Cawwaduty games only use the really cool robots or jetski shootouts or sniper duels once and never use them again, but at least it's something.

I still quite like Call of Duty 2 though. I don't know about the rest, haven't played anything past World at Grenadefest. I quite liked World at Grenadefest even though it gets flak as being another WWII FPS, but I especially loved the Russian campaign. And Nazi Zombies.

Cawwaduty Modern Warfish is fine, just fine. I liked the Pripyat mission (though why did that mission have to happen at all, compared to the targets converging somewhere else that wasn't radioactive and in the middle of nowhere), the opening mission where your viewer is assassinated, the nuke detonation, the two teams converging on the missle silo and teaming up -- but it was just fine, I was pretty disappointed in how piddly and limited the arsenal was.

I still give it to World at Grenadefest, but keep in mind I haven't played a second of multiplayer in any Cawwaduty.

Offworlder_v1legacy

Ya Old Mate
May 3, 2009
Modern Warfare 2. I played that game to death and had so much fun. Sure it had balancing issues, unfair advantages and a horrible community at the best of times, but there was something about it I loved so much. Plus I was going through some personal issues at that stage as well and MW2 was my easiest escape.

A close second would be Black Ops. I may have loved MW2 but BlaOPS was where I started hitting my stride as a player. Not 2mlg4u, but I could oust most regular players. Easy 25 kills a game, good feels. Also, my friend and I spend hours in local multiplayer with bots on the lowest difficulty, seeing how long we could ghost them and finding new and interesting ways to kill them. Duel-diving-out-of-windows-C4-death-from-above works quite well.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
This one is really hard.

I still have a lot of love for the original Call of Duty. It's campaign was absolutely incredible and one of my favorite WWII campaigns, second only to Allied Assault. It had an incredible grasp on how to have an intense experience that was never overwhelming and incredibly paced. It also had the most memorable moments from the series. Liberating St. Mere-Eglise, storming a Nazi prison to rescue a British P.O.W., and defending Pegasus Bridge are still some of the fondest memories I have of any game ever. It also had a reasonably solid multiplayer mode. And despite being over ten years old, it still holds up very well today, and I still occasionally go back to play through it.

However, I still have to give my vote to CoD4. Next to the original, it had the best campaign in the series, and it wasn't that far behind the original either. A lot of the levels were also incredibly well-done and did a fantastic job of offering diverse challenges to overcome while some rather impressive set pieces that never felt overboard. However, where it really overcomes the original is in its multiplayer. Its map design was fantastic and offered a good variety of play for various classes. It also did a fantastic job of maximizing the enjoyment you could get out of the solid gunplay while still enjoying the full capabilities of class customization and the occasional challenge or advantage offered by the killstreaks, which actually managed to work in CoD4 unlike the other games.

Overall, though, I just love the CoD games up through CoD4, and I even enjoyed World at War and MW2 to an extent, but CoD1-CoD4 were definitely special. Their sense of atmosphere went a long way to helping that, and CoD4 even managed to make the multiplayer maps a joy to just be in beyond the competition they provided, and few multiplayer games have made me that interested in their maps beyond the simple way they benefit the competition.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Probably Modern Warfare 2. It's by far the one I played the most of. My laptop died at the very beginning of the second semester of my senior year at college, so whenever I needed to scratch my gaming itch I'd play my roommate's copy of MW2 on his X-Box. I ended up putting a ton of hours into it because it was pretty much the only decent game I had available to play until graduation.

I ended up buying my own copy on PC, and put another massive number of hours into it, but I still miss my profile on my roommate's X-Box. I had a goddamn killstreak of 68. Scored a Chopper Gunner in a Domination game on the map Skid Row. We held two of the flags, so the entire enemy team kept spawning around the third flag... and the chopper just hovered right on top of it. Sooooooo much X-Box kiddie rage, I wish I'd been recording it.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Overall, it's going to have to be World at War for the Koniggratzer Marsch victory theme the brutality of both campaigns, something I very rarely see in games in general, let alone WW2 ones. But I've had some great moments with all of the series.

The very first game had the epic Stalingrad opening mission, which for me at the time as a truly revolutionary move, given that I'd grown up on Medal of Honor or as I like to call it: "Jimmy Patterson'll fix it". The fact that I was just one soldier amongst many, crawling through the rubble of an iconic battle that had never been portrayed in gaming before, was simply awesome.

I honestly can't remember much from COD2 beyond throwing potatoes into a bathtub (worthy of the Order of Stalin by any measure) but the third game stands out for its QTE close-combat fights and nightmarish difficult gameplay on Veteran. There was one mission where you had to advance up a hill in the pouring rain and then clear out a series of German entrenchments: took me about 14 times just to get up the bloody thing in the first place!

Modern Warfare had the perfect mix of all out urban warfare and a much more focused, relatively stealthy campaign with the US Marines and SAS. Plus probably the most balanced multiplayer of the entire series: the sequel went too far with kill-streaks but was fun enough in its own right. Not to mention I'm a sucker for "Invaded States of America" settings, where I can sit back, fight my way through suburbia and shamelessly shout "WOLVERINES!" over and over.

Alas, Modern Warfare 3 was definitely the weakest entry for so many reasons ("Where the fuck is the Bundeswehr!?") and BLOPs was....alright but luckily, both were more than compensated for by BLOPs 2. They said they would mix things up and they certainly did, even if the campaign had odd implications about Hispanics. A theme arguably continued by Ghosts but that got a pass because I really do love fighting in a devastated America. Also there was an adorable German Shepard!

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Played all of the main ones (and Big Red One), and it's easily World at War. I love it's look, it's barely-changed-gameplay but-it-has-World War-II-guns and is therefore better, it's character and pretty much everything about the multiplayer.

Now to totally not rip off the Zero Punctuation of Silent Hill 2:

Black Ops had some great moments but it dabbled in the cold war fantasy doofus brigade, Black Ops II was more interesting but the increased linearity and scripted events made both it's femurs burst out of it's legs and rocket off into the sky. And MW2 and 3 were the crushingly bland butter sandwiches to World at War's glorious meatball foot long.

----

The series has gotten more and more ridiculous as time as gone on, but I do accept that sticking to being all serious could harm how seriously one could take it very fast.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Well I really enjoyed the first Call of Duty. That mission during the Russian campaign where you have to hold that lone building while surrounded by the Nazis was something special.

But overall my favourite would be Call of Duty 4. That game had a truly excellent campaign, and I have alot of good memories playing the multiplayer with my mates.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I've only ever played Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3 and I honestly couldn't tell you which one was which.

That's not me having a go at the franchise as a whole, I was just given both games as gifts so I played through the campaigns quickly and never gave them a second thought. Apart from getting temporarily obsessed with survival mode in MW3, I've never given them much time.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
It's a hard choice for me between CoD4 and World at War. Black ops gets an honourable mention for being the last CoD I fully enjoyed, and the last one with community run servers. Losing the ability to run your own server killed my clan.

Kricketz

Apr 25, 2014
I went with Call of Duty 2. Probably because it was the first game I had for my 360. I remember it was also my first online multiplayer experience. I remember staring at my screen, wide-eyed at the fact that I was actually playing with other people from around the world. I had always heard of it, but never actually experienced it. Ha, I was so intimidated. This was before parties. I would just sit with my headset on all nervous. Until I made my first friend, 007 M16. I remember laughing at his name, but man did we get into some wacky high jinks in CTF and Headquarters. He would always say "It's all about that Thompson, man. Dat Thompson!" but I was all about the Springfield. Good times...

Uh, but yeah COD 2. Great Online, decent map design, no perks or kill streaks, and a fun, immersive campaign. Well, fun till it got boring.

fezgod

Dec 7, 2012
Easily the original Call of Duty. Why? Because having to find health kits actually makes shootouts challenging, as opposed to 'pop up, shoot, hide until health regenerates'. Plus, you also got to fight alongside Jason Motherfuckin Statham - setting a bar that has not been reached by any other Call of Duty game.

COD 4 is a close second. It's multiplayer was phenomenal and the campaign was free of the jingoism that is so prevalent in the rest of the Modern Warfare series/Black ops.

Modern Warfare 2/3 also deserves some props because of the Spec Ops missions.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Black Ops because they were really pushing that M rating. Freakin Shotguns with with Fire that blow off people's knees

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Oh dear....I really can't decide. I love World and War, Black Ops, and Modern Warfare 2. Call of Duty 2 was also amazing. "Here. Defend this hill for five minutes."
"Pssh. No problem."
"Four minutes to go. You good?"
"Oh God, they're still coming! Crap! Crap crap crap! Reload faster!"

I notice Ghosts is not on the list. Good. That game should not be allowed to be on the list.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
First Call of Duty (and it's expansion pack United Offensive) as well as Call of Duty 2 rank up there as my favorites. Had tons of fun playing through a lot of the missions with several being very memorable to me even close to a decade later. Like the Point du Hoc missions in the American campaign in CoD 2. The first mission has you scaling the cliffs, clearing out the coastal fortifications, fighting through the nearby town, and driving the Germans out of it. The very next missions has you attempting to hold of the German counter-offensive the next day and pretty much going through all that but in reverse. Having to go back through the area I just fought through but this time retreating and then holding out the last few seconds in the German fortification will always stick with me.

CoD 4 is up there too. It was certainly a new and unique experience in single player, while the local multiplayer game my friends and I countless hours of fun killing each other in our own playstyles (sniping, run-and-gunning, sneaking around). MW2 wasn't too bad and I did enjoy the return to WWII in WaW, but neither one leaves me with too much fondess. Haven't even played any of the others since my taste in games has moved away from FPS's.
Glaice said:
Why is CoD 4 not named CoD: Modern Warfare?
Because it was Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. The modern part was unique for the game and it was possibly meant to just be a foray into a more recent era. The Price in CoD 4 and onward is probably the descendant of the Captain Price you fight under/alongside in a number of the British Campaign missions in older games.