Poll: [Portal 2 SPOILERS] Is "Want you Gone" a triumph?

EdwardOrchard

Jan 12, 2011
When I first heard it I was like, "Heh...its different...but...meh..." Then, for some reason, by the third verse, I was rocking out. I really like it.
I'm impressed. After 'Still Alive' the pressure was on...they had to come up with a worthy follow-up song for the sequel. I didn't think they could...but they did.

Anyways, 'Want You Gone' ..... LOVE IT.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
I loved it, but it's not as instantly memorable as Still Alive. Of course, everything pales in comparison to the opera. No, really. EVERYTHING.

ANIMAL KING FOR PRESIDENT.

Bek359

Feb 23, 2010
Snotnarok said:
It was 1 of 3 endings I saw coming, the other ending I thought would happen would you walk out ...into a Combine Squad.
That wouldn't really make sense, since this game takes place 300 years after Portal 1. I would expect that either the Combine would have been driven out or the Earth would have been stripped of everything of value by then. Also, it would confuse the hell out of anybody who hasn't played the Half-Life series, but has played the Portal series. Believe me, there are significant numbers of those people. Finally, it would probably jack the rating up a bit higher than E10+.

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010

The real "triumph"

This aria is the reason i replayed the ending over and over and over

then luckily i found a drop box link :D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18421251/sp_30_a4_finale5.wav

if you have a downloader addon for your browser like i do, it's just a click away...

cara bel, cara mia bella mia bambina(my pretty dear, my pretty dear child )

Que lastima(not italian. maybe is "che la stima" - "that she admire."
but if is spanish is "what a pity")

Que lastima oh cara mia addio...la mia bambina, cara perche non passi lontana, si lontana da scienza
(oh my dear farewell, my child, dear why dont you stay away, yes away, from science)

cara oh mia bambina (dear, oh my child)
oh mia cara oh mia cara (oh my dear)
oh mia bambina (oh my chlid) cara (dear) cara

Squidden

Nov 7, 2010
The ending was awesome of course, but I think the song was a bit worse than the first song.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Bek359 said:
Snotnarok said:
It was 1 of 3 endings I saw coming, the other ending I thought would happen would you walk out ...into a Combine Squad.
That wouldn't really make sense, since this game takes place 300 years after Portal 1. I would expect that either the Combine would have been driven out or the Earth would have been stripped of everything of value by then. Also, it would confuse the hell out of anybody who hasn't played the Half-Life series, but has played the Portal series. Believe me, there are significant numbers of those people. Finally, it would probably jack the rating up a bit higher than E10+.
I have no idea what time period either game take place in. And they are interconnected they mention Black Mesa enough. And how would the the rating go up higher? No one said you'd be killed I said you see a bunch of Combine, thats all .

iDoom46

Dec 31, 2010
jplayer01 said:
It's great. While "Still Alive" expressed sadness or pain over being killed by her only companion, yet championed all she did for science, "Want You Gone" is a tribute to the only friend she'll ever have. The tragedy? That Chell is a friend she has to let go, lest the conflict between her need to test and Chell's need for freedom continues into eternity. Even as friends, they're destined to kill each other over and over. Sometimes the best thing you can do is let go of a person close to you, so you can no longer hurt that person.

That's how I see it anyway.
I couldn't have said it better myself. That's exactly my point of view, on the nose.

Zechnophobe said:
The only friend GladOS ever had was Cave, not Chell. I think that is what she meant by that line.
But GLaDOS never met Cave. The very fact that she exists means that Cave died long before she was completed.
You could say that it was the "Caroline" inside her that was saying that, but since GLaDOS deleted her I doubt it.

Chell, on the other hand, is the only human GLaDOS ever has contact with, so it makes much more sense that she'd form an attachment to her, so it would probably make more sense for her to consider Chell her only friend. But, since the wording is so vague I'd bet we'd be here debating this until the end of time and still never get a definitive answer.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
iDoom46 said:
Chell, on the other hand, is the only human GLaDOS ever has contact with, so it makes much more sense that she'd form an attachment to her, so it would probably make more sense for her to consider Chell her only friend. But, since the wording is so vague I'd bet we'd be here debating this until the end of time and still never get a definitive answer.
Vague, but she does say:

Goodbye my only friend
Oh, did you think I meant you?
That would be funny
if it weren't so sad

I mean, unless they are purposefully being pedantic, it seems she is referring to someone other than the listener of the song.

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
The best part about Still Alive is that it was unexpected. It came out of absolutely no where, and it was brilliant.

Even if "Want you gone" could match the brilliance (which I don't quite think it does, but close) it wouldn't match the initial reaction of "WTF IS THIS AWESOME THING THAT IS HAPPENING TO ME?"

iDoom46

Dec 31, 2010
Zechnophobe said:
Vague, but she does say:

Goodbye my only friend
That would be funny
if it weren't so sad

I mean, unless they are purposefully being pedantic, it seems she is referring to someone other than the listener of the song.
That's the part that's so vague.
Don't forget, this is still GLaDOS we're talking about, she's a compulsive liar. She'll say anything if she thinks it will be an emotional punch in the gut.

Frankly, she could even be talking about "Caroline", since she just deleted her. The only characters that are definitely not her friend are Wheatley and the Rat Man.

Also, there's also the lines right after:

"Well you have been replaced
I don't need anyone now
When I delete you maybe
[REDACTED]"

-Those first two lines would seem to refer to the fact that she now has the testing robots and therefore human testing is no longer necessary. But she can't replace Cave or Caroline.
"Delete" could refer to GLaDOS removing her memories of Chell, or just removing Chell from the facility. Or litterally her deletion of "Caroline" and her memories of Cave with them.
What pisses me off is that "[REDACTED]" because she says "I'll stop feeling so" and then its impossible to tell if she's saying mad, bad, glad, or sad (or rad). Its not much, but it would at least give us a clue about who she's talking about.

I still like the Chell idea, because there seems to be lots of evidence pointing to the fact that GLaDOS considered Chell her friend. That's why she feels so betrayed that Chell killed her.
Also, the song just sounds like a girlfriend telling her ex to get lost.

Bek359

Feb 23, 2010
Snotnarok said:
Bek359 said:
Snotnarok said:
I have no idea what time period either game take place in. And they are interconnected they mention Black Mesa enough. And how would the the rating go up higher? No one said you'd be killed I said you see a bunch of Combine, thats all .
Portal 1 is hinted to be sometime between Half-Life 1 and 2. Valve has told us that Portal 2 is 200-300 years later. Half-Life 2 takes place 20 years after Half-Life 1, making Portal 2 take place at least 180 years after Half-Life 2. Aperture Laboratories was in direct competition with Black Mesa back in Half-Life 1 times, that's the connection between the two companies.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
gritch said:
I thought it was a good song. Not as catchy as Still Alive but that's definitely a tough act to follow. Taken alone it's still a nice little song.
This. I highly doubted that they could surpass Still Alive. It was good, but not amazing.

Turret opera was cute.

jplayer01

Jan 14, 2009
Zechnophobe said:
iDoom46 said:
Vague, but she does say:

Goodbye my only friend
That would be funny
if it weren't so sad

When is GladOS, a compulsive/pathological liar going by the first game, ever open with her feelings? It seems she's trying to distract from the fact that you *are* the friend she's talking about, she just doesn't want to admit she's befriended a human being ... which is, as she infers, pathetic and "would be funny if it weren't so sad".

I would posit that she wouldn't have let Chell go if Chell wasn't a friend. Otherwise, she would have continued her tests. I see "Want You Gone" as a kind of admission that GladOS sees Chell as a friend, yet also sees that they can't stay together. If they were to remain in the same place, the conflict between GladOS's need to test and Chell's need for freedom would clash indefinitely, as would the cycle of killing each other. Thus, the only way GladOS can protect her newly found friend is by letting her go. Going by the first game, GladOS isn't necessarily the kind of AI that keeps her promises ... so it's the only way to explain why she felt compelled to keep her promise to let Chell go. What else would prevent her from simply killing Chell and replacing her with the new testing robots she developed?

All other characters mentioned in the game can't be viewed as a friend. Cave Johnson was her creator. Caroline was the basis of her personality. Rat Man was a nuisance (if she was aware of him at all). Wheatly was that AI with moronic ideas that used to be connected to her.

Edit: I've been listening to the song over and over and I wanted to add the following.

"She was a lot like you.
(Maybe not quite as heavy).
Now little Caroline is in here too.
One day they woke me up -
So I could live forever.
It?s such a shame the same
will never happen to you."

She compares Chell to Caroline, the basis of her personality. I can only interpret that as a very big compliment. Of course, she has to throw in a small insult so as to not overload her "nice-ness circuit". But can anybody doubt what those last four lines mean? Caroline was used as the basis for GladOS so she could live forever. Now GladOS regrets that she can't do the same for Chell.

"You?ve got your
short sad
life left.
That?s what I?m counting on.
I?ll let you get right to it -
Now I only want you gone."

Because of Chell's limited lifespan, GladOS sets Chell free. Chell is supposed to make the best of what time she has left (compared to the eternity that faces GladOS). This feeling builds up into the fifth line, where she says she'll let Chell get right to it and that she wants Chell gone. She's rejecting Chell (however regretfully) so Chell can move on to something new and different, and maybe make the best of life in a mortal body.

"Well you have been replaced.
I don?t need anyone now.
When I delete you maybe
I?ll stop feeling so bad."

After everything I've mentioned above, I think these lines speak for themselves. Once Chell has left, GladOS can delete what memories and information she has about Chell, in order to forget the trepidation and pain she feels about losing and replacing her only friend.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Not as good as still alive was, but I still liked it. I liked the radio with the 'exile' song on it.

EDIT:
mireko said:
I loved it, but it's not as instantly memorable as Still Alive. Of course, everything pales in comparison to the opera. No, really. EVERYTHING.

ANIMAL KING FOR PRESIDENT.
I would have to agree with you, if some utter BASTARD hadn't spoilt the opera for me. / Bitterness.

aLivingPheonix

Feb 26, 2010
Harry Mason said:
Anyone who votes no will be taken down into the labs for testing.
I don't like it. Please, take me to the labs, I need to be tested. Please, test me! TEST ME!

*Ahem* I quite enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it's better than Still Alive, but it's right up there.

I also can't wait to hear JoCo sing it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I honestly can't remember the song at all, and I heard it just last night. This probably indicates that it wasn't really that good.

But I don't mind; The game was awesome and the ending was grand.

nomzy

Jan 29, 2010
I loved the turret opera more than both, but between the other too I think Still Alive is better.
Speaking of turret opera, does anyone if and/or where I could get the song?