Poll: Portal 2 : Wheatley's voice

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Valve originally made Richard Lord voice the talkative Aperture Science Personality Core called Wheatley, but in 2010 Gamescom video, the voice actor changed to Stephen Merchant.

Personally i think that the original voice was superior to the new one, but what's the community's opinion?

Which voice do you like more?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I totally have to agree with you. Lord gave the voice feeling! He was really into it and made it more humorus. While Stevie Boy Wonder over there sounds like he's reading the script off of a overcooked chicken shat out by Oscar Wilde....by which I mean it's dry and uncaring.

WINDOWCLEAN2

Jan 12, 2009
I was Promised a Poll. I am dissappointed.

OT: I much prefer Steven Merchant, His voice is so British and he is a hilarious man.
(Also the real brains behind Ricky Gervais)

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
So, there is no poll? This time my browser didn't broke, so i guess it's escapist's fault. Can moderator fix this? I won't make third thread.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
WINDOWCLEAN2 said:
I was Promised a Poll. I am dissappointed.

OT: I much prefer Steven Merchant, His voice is so British and he is a hilarious man.
(Also the real brains behind Ricky Gervais)
In that case he should be imprisoned. Ricky Gervais is a threat to everyone's enjoyment, even if they don't know it yet.

OT: I preferred them both the same.

Confidingtripod

May 29, 2010
theriddlen said:
So, there is no poll? This time my browser didn't broke, so i guess it's escapist's fault. Can moderator fix this? I won't make third thread.
Third?

I liked richard more, I only saw a trailer and instantley began imagining the different things he might say,now...feh.

atomictoast

Aug 7, 2009
Stephen Merchant has experience in voice acting, and better fits the role seeing as he can actually be a bit more "mellow." More fitting for the personality for what's supposed to be an artificial intelligence. I feel he needs a bit of a pitch-alteration or an auto-tuning to make the voice more robotic, but he carries the role much better.

The old guy had way to thick of an accent, and was just a programmer. He shouldn't be doing voices.

Also, Stephen Merchant is a legend man.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
I made one thread, but my browser broke, and there was no poll. I made second (this) thread, this time with poll and working browser, but there is still no poll, but "Poll:" has been added to topic's name.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I made this thread a couple of days ago. And as I said in there, I prefer Stephen Merchant. The first guy had a nice voice, but he was a terrible voice actor. He sounded patronising, like a childrens tv presentor. Just listen to him.

"I'm never, ever, ever to disingage myself from this rail or I might die!"

Now imagine that voice in a different situation.

"Now kids, you must never, ever, ever run with scissor, or you might die!"

He didn't have enough emotion either. It's especially irrataiting when he reawakens GLaDOS and sits saying "Oh you got to be joking." You just reawakened a psychotic murderous robot with complete control over your world. Let's have a bit more of a reaction.

Stephen has actual emotion and a 3 dimentional character on top of a nice west country voice.

Either way I think the writings good enough to make both of them work, but we have Stephen now so live with it. I think peoples views are being thrown about a little by the fact that most of the vids with Stephens voice arn't good quality so you can't hear some of the jokes. Go onto the Portal 2 website www.thinkwithportals.com and go on the media section, they've changed the meet wheatley vid to a high quality version of what was shown of Stephen.

EDIT:

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
They are both so good so that if they started singing together, they would cause a magical world to come into existence. mind cookie for reference.

OT: I don't really care, they're both great.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Merchant is a lot better, but he still needs some sort of electronic alteration to his voice, it sounds way too human.

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
I like Merchant, I don't get the hate. But I agree they need to autotune or give some sort of an electronic altercation to his voice to make him sound more robotic.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
I way prefer Merchant. He sounds much more likable, and has way more character than the first guy. I'm looking forward to the game more now.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
This aperture science human biological unit does not care about which biological voice acting organic does the voice of a GLaDOS personality core. This unit was just glad to have witnessed what will be a small part of a huge game. Now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to go eat some fish shaped solid waste.

spiritslayr

Smart AI
Oct 25, 2008
I'm not sure if it's necessary to autotune his voice really. To me it seems that Glados is made to sound robotic so that the player knows that they will get no human compassion from their captors. Wheatley is your friend so maybe it is to dissociate him from Glados.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
spiritslayr said:
I'm not sure if it's necessary to autotune his voice really. To me it seems that Glados is made to sound robotic so that the player knows that they will get no human compassion from their captors. Wheatley is your friend so maybe it is to dissociate him from Glados.
I think that's what they're going for, trying to make Wheatley closer to the player by making him sound human, in contrast to GLaDOS who sounds very robotic and menacing. She even talks in phrases rather than taking like she's at one end of a conversation.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
First guy: really nice voice but bad voice acting.
Second guy: nice voice and good voice acting.

I kind of wish they hadn?t released the trailer with the place holder voice. People seem to have gotten unusually attached to something that isn?t all that great, or all that important.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
PurplePlatypus said:
I kind of wish they hadn?t released the trailer with the place holder voice. People seem to have gotten unusually attached to something that isn?t all that great, or all that important.
This. They should have waited, bad move on ValvE's part.