Poll: Portal 2 : Wheatley's voice

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Cheveyo said:
PurplePlatypus said:
First guy: really nice voice but bad voice acting.
Second guy: nice voice and good voice acting.

I kind of wish they hadn?t released the trailer with the place holder voice. People seem to have gotten unusually attached to something that isn?t all that great, or all that important.

I liked it because it was bad. It felt more human that way, felt more like a comic relief side-kick type character than the current one.
I think I could have learnt to live with it from that perspective. Kind of like Holly from Red Dwarf.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
It showed that the first voice wasn't that of a professional VA, to be honest it slightly annoyed me to listen to it. I prefer the second. I'd prefer if they altered it to sound more robotic aswell. Not too much though. Somewhere near the turrets' voice effects (with a slight electronic aftersound).

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
Cheveyo said:
PurplePlatypus said:
First guy: really nice voice but bad voice acting.
Second guy: nice voice and good voice acting.

I kind of wish they hadn?t released the trailer with the place holder voice. People seem to have gotten unusually attached to something that isn?t all that great, or all that important.

I liked it because it was bad. It felt more human that way, felt more like a comic relief side-kick type character than the current one.
Oh I see.
Yes they did seem to offer a different portrayal of the character. So then the disappointment isn?t in the changing of the voice but in the crushing of your previous perception of Wheatley?

Nazz3

Sep 11, 2009
The older voice is better than the new voice, but they both sound too 'human'.

Its a robot, it needs a voice more like Glados.

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
tellmeimaninja said:
I don't really care. From what I've seen of the game, the differences between the voices are barely noticable.
Pretty much this, I really barely noticed a difference, both the voices havent really had to do much yet, and to me I was more interested in the mechanics anyway.

Kif

Jun 2, 2009
As much as I love Merchant I was expecting the robotic voice to be overly posh when I first heard it was going to be British as I figure it fits better so it's quite off to me hearing Merchant's voice.

I haven't heard the original voice to compare though.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
i like the voice
bit human, but its pleasant to hear one of our [UK] accents without it being stereotypical cockney/posh/beatles.

XSA37

Aug 5, 2009
I prefer the first voice, something about it just made me want to play the game more. Btw, did you think of including a poll?

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
I thought they were both alright but the old voice was kind of annoying. Merchant is more tolerable.