Poll: Press X to be a *****!

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
So I finished Fable 3 earlier this week as the Shining Knight, chose all the "good" choices, saved up the $6.5m I needed to save the world and all its people and decided my next play-through would be a female character and choose all the bad choices, just to see how the game ends as a bad guy.
Alas, I found that I made the same choice in the throne room and saved the townspeople, albeit for a different reason than my good character did.
"Damn..." I thought, "Ah well, lets roll with it anyway."
I continued to play and arrived at the Dweller Camp and after buying a rather itchy set of Dweller Clothes, I found myself, without any thought as though by instinct, handing out my spare gold to the nearby beggars.
"Ah crap!" I said out loud after I realized what I was doing and almost begrudgingly continued.
The game progressed further, I killed some hollow men underneath a library, played some Lute, and somehow my young female character grew a mustache... hmm.
I headed off to the Mercenary Camp next, eager to wet my blade with blood and fought my way to the Merc leader, who I battled with and spared his life.
"Oh, for the love of... Screw it, guess I'll play a good girl then."
I then teleported to the sanctuary, dyed my hair blonde, rather than emo black and made some pies.
The point of this thread? Do you also find it impossible to be the bad guy, even when you try your hardest to be so? Do you bask in the Light or bathe in Darkness or are you somewhere in between?

EDIT: I mean gaming in general, I'm just using Fable 3 as an example.

Lambi

Yuki-Onna
Oct 20, 2009
I can find it incredibly easy to be a bad guy so long as I don't have to say bad or evil things. I still hate myself for being mean to Amata, Old Lady Palmer and Dad in Fallout 3 on my character's ten year old birthday. DX

Otherwise, I'm usually always the good guy.

Zebag

May 23, 2010
Generally when given the option I always go for the good side first. However, I have no problem when wanting to be evil, laying waste to all in my path.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
I spy a Dissidia reference in the last part :D

OT: I always have to be the good guy............

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
It depends on the game. On infamous I was an absolute twat, just bringing death and destruction to all around me. But on red dead I found it natural to play as a law bringer.

I just tend to go with what feels natural to the game.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I find it very hard to be a murderer in Fallout 3 or New Vegas.

Because the game world is empty enough of friendly faces, especially in Fallout 3's case, that I'd rather not make it any more empty. I steal everything I want, though. Unless the theft would result in a fight. Say, a guarded safe that an NPC never lets out of sight.

Can't do evil in Fable because of how fucking ugly you end up looking.

While in Mass Effect, I can go Renegade, because you're still heroic, just a dick about it. I don't though. That said, the scar glow of EvilShep in Mass Effect 2 makes it a no-go.

Jade Empire started with a very interesting take on morality, that eventually turned into straight good/evil. Open Palm/Closed Fist was great in theory, shame Bioware fucked it up but making a lot of Closed Fist choices into flat-out evil. Otherwise, I'd go "Closed Fist".

Dragon Age would be the easiest game for me to go "evil" in, because you don't have a silly morality meter. As it turned out, I played a kind of "greedy nice person", where I'll do anything except give away my money. Because I wanted Alistair to like me. Hell, the only one that ended up not having a full "like meter" in the end was Shale. Because I waited to long to pick her up, and then never used her, so the only gains were conversation and the occasional gift. 10-20 more points and I'd have had everyone love me... :(

Larnx

Apr 13, 2009
The first playthough in any such game ( Fable, Mass Effect, KotOR) I always pick what feel natural to me, thus resulting in a Jerk with a heart of gold.

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
VanQQisH said:
Do you bask in the Light or bathe in Darkness or are you somewhere in between?
I suppose you're talking about gaming in general, rather than just Fable 3?
If so, then I usually mix it up as I go along. Sometimes I take the option with the best rewards, sometimes I feel like being a dick, sometimes I get so drawn to character, I take whatever option suits them. The point is, I don't really care about my moral stance.

However I genuinly TRIED being a bad guy in F:NV. I killed and cannabalised my many victims (of which many were innocent blissful idiots) and took all the evil options but by the end of the game, I had positive karma. Well, according to the Pearlman. He must be blind.

Aug 25, 2009
I find it very hard to play a bad guy. Partly because 'the bad guy' in role playing games is always cartoonishly evil, and not how I would really act if I was being a dickhead for some unspecified reason in real life. I tend to prefer the good guy choice because deep down I know that I'm trying to compensate for not being as nice as Paragon Shepard in real life.

Of course, in real life I'm like most people, somewhere down the middle, on the good side but not averse to the odd vice. My only real issue, that I will take people up on Bioware style, is issues of social equality. This is in regards to racism, ageism, classism, and people who hate the homeless. It's my one consistent real-life paragon option.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
It depends. In games like Fable, I don't have a problem, but I like to play persuasive characters, and often times that means being a good guy because there's no option to convince someone to betray their friends before gutting their wife like a fish.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
VanQQisH said:
See, if you have trouble becoming evil you should just use Magia erebea. Problem solved.

OT: No, I don't. I had this period where I felt really bad about killing people in games, but I'm done with that now. It's fun to just save, and kill the entire population of Cyrodiil.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Jonluw said:
VanQQisH said:
It's fun to just save, and kill the entire population of Cyrodiil.
I'm not ashamed to admit that I have done this. Many times. So many times in fact, that I created a fireball spell with a large enough blast radius that it burned anyone with the nerve to stand around town while I'm present.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
I generally play games how I think I would react in any given situation. Most of the time, I'm the sining paragon of morality, but I always have a few bits where people just need their skulls kicked in.

For example: In Mass Effect 1 and 2, I was 100% Paragon with about 10-20% Renegade.

In Fallout 3, I was the savior of the wasteland. I had full Karma, but along the way, I did lose some here and there.

In the Fable 1 and 2, I was, again, the shining paragon of human morality.

I'm not like my friend who plays fallout and reloads his last save when he loses Karma. I play with whatever choice seems like what I would do.

I do have something of a strange set of morals though. I will help people occasionaly if I think that they'll actually benefit from it. I won't usually be a dick unless someone's a dick to me, which made New Vegas interesting right up until I had to choose a side. XD

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
VanQQisH said:
Jonluw said:
VanQQisH said:
It's fun to just save, and kill the entire population of Cyrodiil.
I'm not ashamed to admit that I have done this. Many times. So many times in fact, that I created a fireball spell with a large enough blast radius that it burned anyone with the nerve to stand around town while I'm present.
I find that wizard's fury (I think that was what it was called) is very effective for massacres if you crank down the difficulty.

Xskills

Jan 11, 2010
I think there is an error in these system when there could be two spectrums to play along. Here's some hypothetical examples: you brutally murder a group of individuals who use slave labor or passively talk a population into voting for arbitrary restrictions on a minority's rights (think France banning minarets or the US's 'DADT' or Christian Conservative groups sponsoring draconian laws in African countries). Games don't consider bad means to good ends or good means to bad ends.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
I mostly try to be natural, which results in mostly good outcomes but sometimes I just can't avoid being evil...

But yeah, I have to be more or less good normally or else I feel bad about my way of playing.