Poll: PS2 10th anniversary celebration! Top 10 PS2 games to date and more!

GoWithDAFro

Feb 18, 2010
CrazyHaircut94 said:
Tryzon said:
CrazyHaircut94 said:
I love the PS2, it introduced me to modern gaming, and I have most games on it. My favorites are (in no order):
- Jak II
- Jak 3
- Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
- Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
- Shadow of The Colossus
- Resident Evil 4
- Prince of Persia: SoT
- Sly 2: Band of Thieves
- God of War
- Final Fantasy X
You're the first person to mention Ratchet & Clank, I think, which surpises me. I thought all the fans of that series would jump up and complain that it's superior to Jak, but apparently not. Odd.
You can't compare the series. J&D is more mission-based platforming, R&C is wacky gun toting.
Your list is closest to mine. The PS2 is by far my favorite console
Kingdom Hearts
Ratchet and Clank 2
Ratchet and Clank 3
Final Fantasy X
Jak 2
Jak 3
PoP: Sands of Time
Sly 2
Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories
Ratchet and Clank 1

And since apparently someone must say it *ahem* Ratchet and clank is superior to Jak and Daxter!

Tryzon

Jul 19, 2008
secretsantaone said:
WAIT WAIT WAIT.

No Ratchet and Clank?
No Devil May Cry?
No Beyond Good and Evil?

I hope to hear good explanations why these were not included.
Prepare to be at least partially sated:

-Ratchet and Clank is dear to me, but I feel Jak comes out as the better of the two.
-Devil May Cry has always felt too slow and awkward for me, and ever since God of War anything less doesn't do it.
-I've barely played Beyond Good and Evil (though I do own it), and as the mention of my two hundred-plus PS2 games indicates, I have many many many titles that need my attention, not to mention probably another hundred or more non-PS2 games. I have to prioritise and somehow Beyond Good and Evil has fallen out of my gaze. Sad but true. Besides, from what I've played it feels like an intriguing if slighty iffy to control platformer. I hear many things though, and I definitely HAVEN'T given the game a fair chance yet, so I make no claims at being the definitive opinion.

Tryzon

Jul 19, 2008
GoWithDAFro said:
Kingdom Hearts
Ratchet and Clank 2
Ratchet and Clank 3
Final Fantasy X
Jak 2
Jak 3
Sly 2
Ratchet and Clank 1

And since apparently someone must say it *ahem* Ratchet and clank is superior to Jak and Daxter!
I think you should thin your list down: do what I did and have one game per series unless the two games in one franchise are completely different. As for the R&C vs. J&D debate, the war will go on for as long as PS2 fans exist, and just as inevitably there will be a third, smaller group saying "but what about Sly?"

BlueTomfoolery

Dec 3, 2008
in no particular order:

1) Shadow of the Colossus - fighting monsters is fun. fighting giant monsters is extraordinary! I especially liked the soundtrack

2) Kingdom hearts - I liked it because it lets me interact with the Disney universe. I also liked it because the whole 'spiky haired kids saving the world' was a new concept to 12-year-old me.

3).Hack - The idea of playing a game inside a game was very intriguing. The plot was interesting, too. I was envy of the idea that there is a universe where "The World" exists (that was the effect of the anime).

4) Prince of Persia - I liked the concept of controlling time. The prince's acrobatics were very nice.

5) Rachet and Clank - It was the first game I played on the PS2. and It played nicely.

6) God of War - I like Greek mythology. I also like breasts and gore.

7) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - Loved how I could go anywhere (except by going to a restricted area, which gave 5-stars =[ ).

8) Jak and Daxter - The plot is nice.

9) Disgaea - I'm a sucker for sprites, and the game proved to be addictive.

Tryzon

Jul 19, 2008
Hiphophippo said:
This is an upsetting list. You seem to have forgotten all the true classics in favor of dime a dozen games like Burnout (which incidentally is loaded up on my ps3 at the moment but I digress) and hitman. I respect your opinions but as the years have gone by I believe we've come to see what the true classics are, and most of these aren't it.
I class games by their quality, and something impossibly entertaining like TimeSplitters is as worthy in my book as something more artsy like Shadow of the Colossus. HOWEVER, I have spent countless more time enjoying myself thoroughly with one of those games than the other, and the more consistently fun one gets my thumbs up most of the time. Calling Burnout "dime a dozen" is overly harsh, especially since my chosen game might be the most truly innovative of its series. And Hitman is definitely not throwaway entertainment, I tell you that.

I'm really curious to hear a few more examples of your chosen classics, just to better understand what you're trying to communicate. We've already heard about ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, but what else? Just a couple more even would do.

Iskenator67

Dec 12, 2008
My Comfy Chair
Country
United States
A good list but 3 of my favorites are:

Resident Evil 4. The extra content makes it better and i don't need to explain the rest.

Mortal Kombat Deception: Chess and Puzzle Kombat was fun along with the hours long Konquest mode. And they actually focused on good fighting instead of cramming a shit load of characters in.

Scarface the World is Yours. It had a higher focus on drugs and money then Vice City did. plus playing as foul-mouthed Tony Montana was awesome.

I know these are all available on other consoles. But I first played them on the PS2 that's why there special to me.

Tryzon

Jul 19, 2008
BlueTomfoolery said:
in no particular order:

1) Shadow of the Colossus - fighting monsters is fun. fighting giant monsters is extraordinary! I especially liked the soundtrack

2) Kingdom hearts - I liked it because it lets me interact with the Disney universe. I also liked it because the whole 'spiky haired kids saving the world' was a new concept to 12-year-old me.

3).Hack - The idea of playing a game inside a game was very intriguing. The plot was interesting, too. I was envy of the idea that there is a universe where "The World" exists (that was the effect of the anime).

4) Prince of Persia - I liked the concept of controlling time. The prince's acrobatics were very nice.

5) Rachet and Clank - It was the first game I played on the PS2. and It played nicely.

6) God of War - I like Greek mythology. I also like breasts and gore.

7) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - Loved how I could go anywhere (except by going to a restricted area, which gave 5-stars =[ ).

8) Jak and Daxter - The plot is nice.

9) Disgaea - I'm a sucker for sprites, and the game proved to be addictive.
A quality list, along with explanations! Beat that, people.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Tryzon said:
Hiphophippo said:
I seem to have missed Shadow of the Colossus on that list. Is that my fault or yours? Could be I missed it, it was a long read.
I didn't forget Shadow of the Colossus, but I didn't add it either. Though an outstanding title, the brevity and lack of replayability (since it's basically a puzzle game and once you know the solution, what's the point?) marked it down in my eyes. It was very close, but it didn't quite get in.

Something else I expect folks to mention alot is Psychonauts. Again, a stellar game but not of the same calibre as Jak or God of War; its creativity is undeniable, but the gameplay was simply quite good.

Thanks for the constructive suggestion, and I hope it stops EVERYONE ELSE from talking about SOTC.
WHO CARES!?

He has Dragon quest on it!

Bless thee fellow gamer!

Tryzon

Jul 19, 2008
thebrainiac1 said:
Tryzon said:
Thats 10,000 freaking words dude!
you spent FAAARRRR too long off your ps2 :D
The irony in that occured to me at about 5000 words, but I persuaded myself that writing the monsterous thing (which took less time than you might think) would convince others to give the PS2 more time, rather than drifting away to their newer systems forever. If just one person does something positive relating to PS2 as a direct result of my special feature, it will have been worth the work.

Besides, it was fun expressing my eternal love of games (especially PS2) in the largest single piece I've ever done.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
GoWithDAFro said:
CrazyHaircut94 said:
Tryzon said:
CrazyHaircut94 said:
I love the PS2, it introduced me to modern gaming, and I have most games on it. My favorites are (in no order):
- Jak II
- Jak 3
- Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
- Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
- Shadow of The Colossus
- Resident Evil 4
- Prince of Persia: SoT
- Sly 2: Band of Thieves
- God of War
- Final Fantasy X
You're the first person to mention Ratchet & Clank, I think, which surpises me. I thought all the fans of that series would jump up and complain that it's superior to Jak, but apparently not. Odd.
You can't compare the series. J&D is more mission-based platforming, R&C is wacky gun toting.
Kingdom Hearts
Ratchet and Clank 2
Ratchet and Clank 3
Final Fantasy X
Jak 2
Jak 3
Sly 2
Ratchet and Clank 1

Oh crap, how could I forget Kingdom Hearts? D:

Tryzon

Jul 19, 2008
Axolotl said:
Why is Snake Eater on the list instead of Subsistance?
Good question. My rather feeble defense is that since I haven't actually played Subsistence, I can hardly vouch for its changes being good. They almost certainly are, but I can't afford £45 or so for an upgraded version of a game I already love. I just hope the price will come down as people start selling their PS2s and games. Then I make my move...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
The only game I was interested in was Persona 3. And when I finally finish it in some distant future, I'll get Persona 4.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
I liked the PS2 but the PS1 had "Driver" and "Crash Bandicoot" before he turned to hookers and blow, therefore: PS1>PS2

Tryzon

Jul 19, 2008
JWAN said:
I liked the PS2 but the PS1 had "Driver" and "Crash Bandicoot" before he turned to hookers and blow, therefore: PS1>PS2
Thanks for throwing that one out there and going against the flow. I agree on the Crash front, but never cared much for Driver anyway. I'm not convinced, but by all means have your views. Crazy though they may be (semi-joke).

Tryzon

Jul 19, 2008
Stranger of Sorts said:
Shadow of the Colossus?
Final Fantasy?
Star Wars Battlefront 2?
Serious Sam?...Wait what?
Battlefront 2 nearly got in, but not so nearly as things like Shadow of the Colossus. I can't help but feel that it wouldn't be half as enjoyable if not for the license, which lessened my eagerness to add it in the end.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Tryzon said:
mikecoulter said:
Excellent thread, I've been a lover of the PS2 since it came out. Has everything a console needs. Sadly though, I don't play it more than once a year now...
Any reason for that? I say you need a marathon to get you interested again.
I think I just ran out of reasons to play it. When I had a PS2 I didn't have the internet, so I never really knew when good games were coming out. But I had a few GTA's. I may go back on it to play through GTA San Andreas again though...