Poll: PS3 now or PC later?

Orwellian37

Dec 22, 2009
Before posting make sure you read.

I recently received some money, part of which I have devoted to gaming. So naturally I'm going to blow part of it on a console. I have my brother's Wii, a 360, and I'm getting Xbox Live. My PC is a ridiculous crap factory made in 2003, and it can run some games on Steam, but anything with more graphical intensity than L4D makes it crash. My friend and I looked at all components of a laptop I would reasonably need and use, but I don't have enough money for it. I finally got a job last week with reasonable pay, so I'm saving most of that income.

Question is, should I save all cash for building the PC in about three months or get a PS3 now along with a small pool of games and wait the extra time?

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
PC, you already have a 360. Most games that you'll be missing with your current setup are weird PC exclusives (like Minecraft on Fancy, RTSs, stuff like that).

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
How behind is your PC? If it's a couple of years, probably a PC.
If you've got a Mac, get a PC now.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Depends really.

A PS3 will meet (most) all your gaming needs, and it is an excellent media center.
And blu-ray is a nice bonus, if you're into that sort of thing.

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
Um, depends. Base you purchases upon your games for a dry cut answer, if you like action games like Bayonetta, GoW or DMC, take the PS3. Oh, and simple controls.

If you prefer RTS, FPS and a few other games which aren't Fighting/Action games (save for SF and/or DMC). Then a PC, although you could attach a controller.

Please note while a PC game can be modded, it's extremely small percentage. Batman AA can be modded with Textures at best, and while Fallout have a large pool. So yeah, just take care what you pick.

Or you could buy a pack of condoms...

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
PC would be the better choice, you already have a console so i don`t see a reason to get a second one, unless you really want those few ps3 exclusives.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
This happens to be the most difficult choice of all time. It all really boils down to:

Little Big Planet or Minecraft

ThatDaveDude1

Feb 7, 2011
Since you've already got a 360 you should be good in terms of average console games. The question then becomes "Which exclusives would you rather play? PS3's or PC's?"

Personally, I'd go with PC, though you really should consider getting a PS3 at some point down the line.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Orwellian37 said:
My friend and I looked at all components of a laptop I would reasonably need and use, but I don't have enough money for it. I finally got a job last week with reasonable pay, so I'm saving most of that income.

Question is, should I save all cash for building the PC in about three months or get a PS3 now along with a small pool of games and wait the extra time?
If I was in your situation and I wanted a device mainly for gaming, then I would choose a Desktop PC over a PS3, but choose a PS3 over a Laptop.

In my opinion, a PS3 could would be a better gaming device than a Laptop, but a Desktop PC would blow that out of the water...

Do you even need a Laptop? If portability was a consideration then wouldn't your choices be between a Laptop PC and a NGP or DSI or similar hand-held console?

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
I asked myself the same question and PS3'd.

Now I have to wait until around this winter to get the desktop I want and my PS3 sits collecting dust.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
OMG, not the PS3. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love my PS3 but a PC is so much more of an important tool, wouldn't even be a question for me.

Orwellian37

Dec 22, 2009
Jamash said:
In my opinion, a PS3 could would be a better gaming device than a Laptop, but a Desktop PC would blow that out of the water...

Do you even need a Laptop? If portability was a consideration then wouldn't your choices be between a Laptop PC and a NGP or DSI or similar hand-held console?
I'm going off to college after summer, so I'll need a computer anyways, and I already have a game library for PC through Steam, so I'm not looking into a portable console.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Orwellian37 said:
Jamash said:

I'm going off to college after summer, so I'll need a computer anyways, and I already have a game library for PC through Steam, so I'm not looking into a portable console.
In that case, I would get a PS3 as for gaming/media, and a cheap "dispensable" Laptop for college work.

You should also check to see whether your College's firewall allows Steam and on-line gaming. It would be a shame for you to buy a gaming rig for college only to find you can't access your Steam account or any online aspects of your games.