Poll: RANT: Disgusted with Skyrim

Alorxico

Jan 5, 2011
EDIT: A "rant" is a "a bombastic extravagant speech" as defined by Merriam Webster coming from the Dutch word 'randten' meaning "to rave" which itself means "an extravagantly enthusiastic appraisal or review of something". People "rant" because they are upset about something and need to vent, need to get their frustrations out so they can then calmly resolve the issue.

To those who understood and have had similar problems, I thank you and would like you to know there is a Mod on The Skyrim Nexus that address these issues. I will post the link shortly.

To those who want more details about my computer; it is a Gateway DX4850 with a Core i5-2300 Quad-Core 2.8GHz processor, 6GB of RAM, 1.5TB of hard-drive space and an ATI-Raedon HD 4600 graphics card. The wired control was for the 360. If you need anything else, just let me know.

As to "disgust" being too strong a word, that is your opinion. "Disgust" simply means "to cause loathing or nausea" and ANYTHING can disgust a person. You can get "disgusted" by the site of garbage on the side of the road, you can be "disgusted" with how your neighbor treats his dog, and, yes, you can even be "disgusted" that you cannot play a game you paid $60 plus tax to obtain. "Disgust" is NOT a sacred, hallowed, use-only-in-extreme-circumstances word.

As for this being a "PC Elitist" rant, try again. I've been a console junkie for years, boys and girls. I only started gaming on the PC when Oblivion came out because I liked the idea of GAMERS creating content for their favorite games and sharing it with others. You know, like that RPG Maker game the PlayStation, PlayStation 2 AND PlayStaion 3 had/have.

Again, thank you to those who let me rant and provided valid feed-back. To those who needed more info, it have been provided.

----------------------------------------------

I have tried, unsuccessfully mind you, to start the game five separate times on my computer and have not gotten beyond the Helen Keep section because the controls, quite frankly, are wretched. Actually, they are worse than wretched but as a good portion of the Escapist population is under the age of 18 I resolve NOT to swear, though the controls are quiet worthy of several nasty ones.

I started out with the traditional mouse and keyboard, but the Look Sensitivity was so temperamental that I was either turning my head too slow or too fast, seeing too little too late or too much too soon. Needless to say, when I had to fight off a group of attackers in the Keep I more often than not ended up attacking my own alley because by the time I was able to turn and focus on my attacker he/she was dead and my alley was telling me to move on to the next area.

I then tried a joystick, which for some unknown reason the game would not register. Searching on-line I found that, unless it is a flight simulator, PC games no longer support joysticks. You want to play a PC game but don't / can't use the mouse and keyboard? You need to plug in you XBox 360 control or buy a special PC gaming controller.

Having thus found a reason to justify NOT throwing away my old wired XBox controllers, I plugged one into my PC and started the game for a 5th time. Alas, the problems persisted. I was either looking around too fast or too slow, if I tried to reassign the buttons (example, make B the jump button and Y the character menu button) BOTH stopped working! The left thumb-stick is for movement, but I have the same problem for it as I have with the right stick to look around. I am either hardly moving or running around like a mad woman! And the lower I set the look sensitivity the more finicky the movement sensitivity (which you cannot alter) gets. Finally, when I opened the World Map, it would not let me close it. One would assume hitting B (once the defaults were reapplied) or the button that got me there in the first place would take me OUT, but that was not the case. I had to unplug the controller and hit escape on my keyboard to get out of the map.

I mentioned these problems to a friend of mine who plays the console version (which is having problems of its own, namely it does to your XBox's memory what the Federal Government does with your tax money; wastes it) and he said to bypass the issues and play his console copy. I don't WANT to play the XBox version, I want to play the PC version! Why? Two words; Modding Community. Bethesda has a long tradition of handing fans the tools to improve and advance their games after they have moved on to the next project so that the game is ever changing and still fun to play LONG after it is the latest hot new release. The things Bethesda could not fix or could not include, the modding community provides. My PC version of Oblivion has mods that add classic Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind ingredients, spells and potions into the game, as well as new creatures, new towns, new quests and a restored Kvatch once you complete the main quest line.

THAT BEING SAID!!! Just because there are people out there who know how to mod a game DOES NOT give a programming company the right to release a broken product. Because basically, that is what has happened. Other gamers who bought the PC version of the game have complained about the UI (User Interface) system since it was first released and NO up-date or patch has been released to fix it. The result? The Modding Community has had to release several Mods that fix the issue for both the keyboard / mouse and XBox control. But the FUNNY part is that if Bethesda ever does get around to fixing the UI and the patch messes up someone's hard-drive, if that person EVER had the UI-mods on their computer than Bethesda will not claim responsibility for the damaged machine. EA is the same way.

My computer is less than half a year old, it more than meets the requirements, but I will not assume that means my hardware is not causing the problems. I will be hitting Best Buy in the next few days to get some advice, but this is completely disgusting. To those who have not had these problems, congratulations. To those who are having these problems or other problems, I sympathize. To Bethesda, you should be ashamed.

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
Well, if it's any consolation, you're not missing out on much. The whole game just feels like an ambitious, high-budget mod for Oblivion.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
Holy crap that's one heck of a bug.

I have to say I agree with ComradeJim: the game is only good for sight-seeing, and not much else. The land of Skyrim is great; the story/characters, not so much.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
I have no idea why you're having so much trouble with the controls. Hell I've looked at the UI section on SkyrimNexus.com, the largest modding site around, and seen no mods addressing mouse sensitivity issues...so I'm wondering if you're exaggerating there. :p

Anyway what kind of mouse do you use? I use just a plain Logitech trackball mainly, but I also have a regular mouse (though it's on the left, I only use when my right wrist is acting up) and never really had a problem. You have tried to adjust the sensitivity in-game, right?

I can't speak to using a gamepad or other controller, I've never tried and probably never will. As for console issues, it seemed to work fine on my cousin's xbox when I was over there for the holidays, I didn't really see any issues with it. 'course, I own neither an xbox of my own nor an xbox copy of Skyrim so that's pretty much the extent of my experience with it.

ComradeJim270 said:
Well, if it's any consolation, you're not missing out on much. The whole game just feels like an ambitious, high-budget mod for Oblivion.
I'd take that opinion with a grain of salt. Skyrim sucked me in like Oblivion could never hope to. The story and characters are definitely better than Oblivion. I think the only thing I'd change is add a paper doll to the inventory, and add back the armor slots that were removed... The improvements in Skyrim go way beyond what a mod could do. After all, a mod can't replace the shitty Gamebryo engine Oblivion runs on. ;) Skyrim's is like a Ferrari compared to that crap. It runs better than Oblivion on the same hardware.

Morrowind fans say Oblivion's a steaming turd next to Morrowind. I say Oblivion's a steaming turd next to Skyrim.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Out of interest, what's your average FPS while playing?

If it's less than 30 FPS (40 FPS if you're sensitive), then there's your problem.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
The slow mouse-thing can be caused by a lack of a power source if you're using a laptop like me. Turn your settings down, should help. If not, I'm stuck sorry.

silent299

Mar 29, 2011
I seriously doubt that you got a "bad copy" of the game, that just never happens anymore. As for the UI and control problems, I honestly don't know what you find so repulsive about them. As long as you have a decent machine, your framerate should be high enough that looking around should be smooth, and the "look sensitivity" slider goes through a wide range of look speeds, so it shouldn't be hard to find one that suits you. Even if it is slightly too fast or slightly too slow, you will eventually get used to it. Don't let a small problem like that stop you from enjoying a really great and otherwise immersive game.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
The default mouse sensitivity was crap but it only took a few minutes of moving the setting around and now it works fine. Other then that it just takes some getting used to.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
if its being so inconsistant then there is likely something wrong with your hard ware, either your mouse or your machine cant run it on your selected settings, try turning them down or if possible use a new mouse

May 5, 2010
OK, disgusting? Really? This disgusts you?

I mean, I would usually use a word like "disgusted" when talking about something like the Holocaust, but, you know, not being able to play state-of-the-art videogames is pretty bad, too, I suppose.

Seriously, it's fine if you wanna rant about your terrible experience with this game (I have the PS3 version and have encountered none of these difficulties) but please, don't act like this is some serious problem that we should all be very concerned with. Using words like "ashamed" and "disgusted" only serve to insert pointless drama into what is really a very trivial issue, and it makes you come off as narcissistic and childish. So my advice for dealing with this problem? Maybe try growing a little perspective. There are people in the world who have REAL problems. Reserve your outrage for situations that actually warrant it.

May 5, 2010
SurfinTaxt said:
ComradeJim270 said:
Which is what oblivion felt like for morrowind
OK, I have to ask.

What exactly do you guys think a sequel is?

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
ComradeJim270 said:
By that logic Metal Gear Solid 4 is just a ambitious high budget mod for Medal Gear solid 3.

RagnarokHybrid

Aug 6, 2011
Alorxico said:
ComradeJim270 said:
Exactly how I was going to respond--except that I never played Oblivion. It's more like a toolset than a full game.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
There is a look sensitivity option in the menus I think at the most basic level the setting might have become become wildly changed? (It will still effect an xbox controller)

This was the only problem/solution I was able to find while googling, worth a try

To fix this, go to Documents>My Games>Skyrim

-Make a backup copy of SkyrimPrefs.ini

-Open SkyrimPrefs.ini

-Look for a value called bMouseHeadingSensitivity (something along those lines)

-Delete it and replace it with these two values fMouseHeadingYScale=0.0100
fMouseHeadingXScale=0.0100

That fixed the laggy mouse problem for me. I should also add if the sensitivity is too low/high for you all you need to do is change the numbers higher or lower to fit your needs. If you want, you can also disable VSync by adding iPresentInterval=0 to the display section in SkyrimPrefs.ini. You can disable mouse smoothing by changing bMouseAcceleration=1 to 0 in SkyrimPrefs.ini.
Hope that maybe helps you out if you are still looking to fix it.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Alorxico said:
My computer is less than half a year old, it more than meets the requirements, but I will not assume that means my hardware is not causing the problems.
Try your software then. I thought it was a little sluggish till I realised that I hadn't actually installed the drivers for the mouse i've been using for a year. Cleared that up right away.

Aside from that, if your computer can "handle" it hardware wise there isn't really any reason for it to be choking. I've not even encountered a crash yet, which is amazing. Oh, the Xbox controller defaults are quite terrible, you'll have to fiddle about with it. I have a friend who couldn't work out why her controls weren't working when she realised that her xbox controller was still plugged in and it actually disabled keyboard controls which is, well, rather odd.

And the UI isn't broken, its just shitty, there is a difference between the two. A shitty product still works, a broken one doesn't. The UI isn't good but its a far cry from being "broken".

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Alorxico said:
I don't understand this post at all.
Instead of whining give us details of your problem, maybe someone already knows the answer.
We know that you tried different controllers with little or no success.
What more ?
Have you tried most obvious things like :
- Patching to newest version.
- Changing fMouseHeadingSensitivity
- Changing gfx details, i mean playing in different resolution, with lower, higher settings, in windowed mode etc ?
- Also, what's your gfx card ? Intel based computers have often problems with VSync and it does really weird sh*t to games.

Details. DETAILS !

silent-treatment

Oct 15, 2009
I have the same issues with the game, but I know that it is my computer that is causing the issue. If you do not have a machine that can run great frame rates you will have this issue. I have to play the game at the lowest settings( seriously resolution all the way down, textures all the way down ect.) and it looks like shit but I go on because it is a truly great game. It takes all of the good things about Morrowind (still a little watered down when compaerd tho) and Oblivion (the combat is even better). As for the UI, the SkyUI is amazing. I just installed it tonight and it is perfect.

Also it has been my experience that Best Buy workers are very hit and miss in their knowledge. You would be better off posting your specs here and asking for help.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
OK, disgusting? Really? This disgusts you?

I mean, I would usually use a word like "disgusted" when talking about something like the Holocaust, but, you know, not being able to play state-of-the-art videogames is pretty bad, too, I suppose.

Seriously, it's fine if you wanna rant about your terrible experience with this game (I have the PS3 version and have encountered none of these difficulties) but please, don't act like this is some serious problem that we should all be very concerned with. Using words like "ashamed" and "disgusted" only serve to insert pointless drama into what is really a very trivial issue, and it makes you come off as narcissistic and childish. So my advice for dealing with this issue? Maybe try growing a little perspective. There are people in the world who have REAL problems. Reserve your outrage for situations that actually warrant it.
I second this statement. It brings about the whole "PC Master Race" to an embarassing level. I've given up on doing mainstream gaming on anything other than consoles, as I don't trust my computer to play anything other than MMOs.