Poll: Rape is totally okay to joke about, right guys?

Aug 25, 2009
Riki Darnell said:
I've made rape jokes and I'm a girl. As long as it's funny I don't think anything is out of bounds.
What exactly does that change? I've heard jokes about raping men made by men. I still thought they were being cunts.

Gender's got absolutely nothing to do with this issue.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
zehydra said:
I hope I don't get punished, this is my last strike.

Moth_Monk said:
I'm not sure if this is ironic or just coincidence but that did make me smirk a little.

Winthrop said:
Well, go check out the other thread and then compare and contrast. If I put in a 'no' option it'd be balanced even more on the side of the other thread.
I saw the other thread. It interested me in what the majority thought. I came here to try and find out. It was just like the other one. Frankly I'm just annoyed in general by polls on this site. Like I hate how about half of them seem to have a joke option. Sometimes I just want to get a feel for what people think.

irmasterlol

Apr 11, 2012
RanD00M said:
I laughed.

OT: Rape is hilarious, death is hilarious, life is hilarious, everything is hilarious.
This one gets it. Don't take anything too seriously, or you're just giving yourself a weakness. You should be able to laugh at everything. If you can't, you need to seriously consider why it's worth it to rain on everyone's parade.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Raven said:
Have a good read of this http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/9766-The-R-Word

I've never read a more articulate and personal account of why it's inappropriate to use rape as a subject of comedy. Basically the laughs generated in no way make up for the hurt caused and therefore the ends doesn't justify the means.

I'd suggest any budding comedian ought to go through the physical and mental horror of rape before being allowed to make jokes about rape to the general public.

My personal opinion: If you make a rape joke (aimed at a person like in the other thread's example) you are just being a ****, end of story.
Sorry, but even after reading that I think people should be able to joke about whatever they want. Hell, I don't even really have anything against those who use the word "rape" in trash talk, though I don't think I'd ever use it myself. People can potentially be negatively affected by anything anyone says ever, demanding that whatever specific topic affects you (even if you have a very good reason for feeling this way) never be joked about again is not within your rights.

I'm not condoning rape, I consider it to be one of the worst things one human can do to another, but joking about rape is not part of the same issue. At the end of the day if some specific topic or word offends you for whatever reason, it's your responsibility to either avoid that topic or attempt to learn to cope with it. I do of course realize that this is much easier said than done, possibly even impossible for many, which is unfortunate. It's still a more reasonable demand than restricting a certain type of communication or topic for humour from everyone else in the world, though.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
looks at SpoonyOne
>looks at the "R Word" article
>remembers George Carlin's least funny bit

It would significantly easier to just not bother, you know. It results in significantly less people despising you.

Just because I CAN go out and talk about vagina dentata and how many fish you might cram into one to a random person, on the off-chance that he enjoys absurdism, doesn't mean that I should.

The .50 Caliber Cow

Pokemon GO away
Mar 12, 2011
xmbts said:
Depends on the context, an inordinate number of my close friends have been sexually abused so just using rape as a funny occurrence doesn't exactly inspire me to laugh.
As someone who beat off an attempt and have had friends who have been raped, I share this view. I really don't see why there seems to be so much defense of 'rape humor' by gamers.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
There is a huge difference between making jokes about rape in general and making jokes about raping a specific woman, one who is right in front of you.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
MelasZepheos said:
But sitting in front of a rape victim and telling jokes about how she was obviously asking for it and saying thay it would be hilarious if she was gang raped for protesting about the jokes you made? Somewhat less amusing.
Well, obviously, that's just being a ****.
But how about stuff like Lewis C.K's raping Hitler joke? Making a joke about a completly abstract scenario with no hatred directed to anybody in the audience.

Oh, also, saying that you need to experience something to joke about it is kind of silly. I make jokes about 9/11, the holocaust, somebody getting their dick bit off, whatever, but none of these ever directly effected me, so should I not make these jokes?

Winthrop said:
Well, this thread has nearly 900 views, and the other has over 10000. Looking at the ratios of votes in each thread, it seems like this one is winning. Hope that helps.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Of course, it's fine to joke about. You should be allowed to joke about anything. But not everyone is going to be happy with them. Rape victims won't like rape jokes, Holocaust survivors won't be fans of Holocaust jokes, families of 9/11 victims will despise 9/11 jokes and so on.

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
Moth_Monk said:
I'm not sure if this is ironic or just coincidence but that did make me smirk a little.
It is ironic but not for the reasons that you suspect. ;)

There's an easy argument that I can make and it is this:

If you can find me one rape victim that finds any rape jokes funny, I will concede your point that jokes about rape can be funny.

Good luck.

Mar 9, 2010
Totally fine, everything is fair game. Murder, suicide, rape, farts, all of it. Why? Because it's a joke and everything is cool to joke about in my book, regardless of who gets offended or hurt.

Mikeyfell said:
I get touchy on this because I know someone who was raped, and it really pisses me off when people use "rape" as a synonym for "defeat" (I hit someone so hard I broke his cheek bone because he would stop saying "rape")
This is something I'm not cool with. Words shouldn't have emotional baggage like that, I don't think it's normal to associate words with traumatic experiences (then again there's nothing normal about rape). I can see how a joke about rape might make someone upset but the word? No, that's not okay. Don't jump to conclusions though; it's not okay in the same sense that mixing up your and you're isn't okay.

Dr. Dice Lord

Feb 4, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Maybe we should stop putting so much emphasis on whether or not rape is whatever.

This shit is getting more teeth marks then -...

Jonluw said:
o_O......... O____________________O

Dude, what the FUCK?!?!? I never thought I could hate chimps more than I already do.
Totally agree. They're literally the only creatures on the earth I have less respect for than humans.

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
Here's a question: Why should comedy be immune to criticism only by virtue of the fact that it is comedy?

Also,

Why are dark/edgy/risky jokes amusing?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Moth_Monk said:
hazabaza1 said:
Moth_Monk said:
It is ironic but not for the reasons that you suspect. ;)

There's an easy argument that I can make and it is this:

If you can find me one rape victim that finds any rape jokes funny, I will concede your point that jokes about rape can be funny.

Good luck.
That's probably going to be difficult, considering I don't know any rape victims, and I don't go planning to make any for the sake of comedy.

I'm also not really getting how your point works. Seems to me it's like going "find me a racist who likes black people." Of course people who have been raped are going to hate jokes about it, that doesn't mean others can't.

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
Of course people who have been raped are going to hate jokes about it, that doesn't mean others can't.
Exactly. But what is it about the jokes that even makes them funny?

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
anything can be made into a joke, and everything can be offensive to SOMEONE.

thats how comedy works.