Poll: Rape is totally okay to joke about, right guys?

lostleader

Oct 11, 2009
Comedy is suppose to be a detachment from ones self and the tragedy of another. In other words, its only funny when it doesn't happen to you, kind of thing. While I personally don't think its exactly right to laugh at rape jokes, i can say I have laughed at them, even made jokes about them. Course it wasn't toward anyone I knew, but anything can be a joke, as long as someone laughs. Comedies only justification is that it produces laughter, if you have a problem with it I suggest walking out or something. There is a reason why jokes like the Aristocrat joke exist,and they aren't so everyone gets it or laughs at it.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I think George Carlin said it best:

So, yes, it CAN be okay...but there's that little thing called CONTEXT, and you know, being around people with a backbone.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Raven said:
Have a good read of this http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/9766-The-R-Word

I've never read a more articulate and personal account of why it's inappropriate to use rape as a subject of comedy. Basically the laughs generated in no way make up for the hurt caused and therefore the ends doesn't justify the means.

I'd suggest any budding comedian ought to go through the physical and mental horror of rape before being allowed to make jokes about rape to the general public.

My personal opinion: If you make a rape joke (aimed at a person like in the other thread's example) you are just being a ****, end of story.
But it's perfectly okay to joke about death, pain, and other "bad" things?

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
I find it odd people always compare making jokes about rape to make jokes about murder; really, rape should be compared to torture, since rape and murder have nothing in common other than "it's bad guise, quit it".

But yeah, rape jokes are funny when they go through the same procedure other black humor jokes have to go through to be funny; jokes about rape aren't instinctively funny, contrary to popular belief.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Thank you for this thread. I already posted in the other one, so I will just say that I agree with you.

Captcha: marry me
I love you, captcha.

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
I want to high five you so hard for this thread, I don't even give a shit about the topic but having the only options being no is fucking stupid.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Raven said:
Have a good read of this http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/9766-The-R-Word

I've never read a more articulate and personal account of why it's inappropriate to use rape as a subject of comedy. Basically the laughs generated in no way make up for the hurt caused and therefore the ends doesn't justify the means.

I'd suggest any budding comedian ought to go through the physical and mental horror of rape before being allowed to make jokes about rape to the general public.

My personal opinion: If you make a rape joke (aimed at a person like in the other thread's example) you are just being a ****, end of story.
I read that story and I made that comment that it seems completely absurd that the subject of rape gets treated with special mittens, but subjects like murder, war, drugs, starvation, and racism are ok to joke about.

NegaWiki

Oct 1, 2011
Just because you could does not mean you should. In theory any topic is open to joke about, in practice very few people actually joke about it.
"So I told him to get raped!" is not a joke.
"Get raped." Not a joke.
<spoiler=A good attempt at a rape joke><youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loOTAw5GyI8>
It's a good sign that people are slowly getting used to the idea of Rape as Comedy, but using it as a threat disguised as comedy? No sell. All that needs to be done is comedians refining the genre and jokes used.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
This thread won't last long. Not that I don't admire what you're doing here OP.

wubbadawubba.

Problem of course is that the shitstorm will hit here too before you get flagged and this thread dies

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
Do you know what's worse than rape?
A starving African baby.

And if you think that's even remotely funny you must be extremely detached because I don't think any emotive person would find that funny at all.

Yeah I reported the OP. Problem?

It's actually depressing when you think about it. Probably has something to do with this. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amusing_Ourselves_to_Death]

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Depends on the context, an inordinate number of my close friends have been sexually abused so just using rape as a funny occurrence doesn't exactly inspire me to laugh.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I get touchy on this because I know someone who was raped, and it really pisses me off when people use "rape" as a synonym for "defeat" (I hit someone so hard I broke his cheek bone because he would stop saying "rape")

But you can tell a joke about anything, well you can tell a good joke about anything if you're doing it to be funny. Like the Gorge Carlin Joke that's come up in this thread already. Hell the second half of The Book of Mormon is just a rape joke and that won 9 Tony's
Telling a joke about something is not the same as making fun of it.

I'm familiar with Tosh's humor, I haven't heard the joke in question but he plays with risque subject matter all the time I doubt this joke was too far outside his normal jokes about "taboo" stuff.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
I'm really getting annoyed by all these fake polls. You know, sometimes I actually want to know how the community feels about a topic rather than see some poll with only one answer. Its why we have them. Somebody else misuses it, that doesn't mean you need to! Its just making the problem worse and frankly I don't really care about just your opinion with a poll, I like to get the feel of the group.

OT: It depends on context. I mean you don't make rape jokes to rape victims and you never make one that sounds like a threat (his kind of did). In certain contexts they can be kind of funny.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
zehydra said:
I hope I don't get punished, this is my last strike.

Moth_Monk said:
I'm not sure if this is ironic or just coincidence but that did make me smirk a little.

Winthrop said:
Well, go check out the other thread and then compare and contrast. If I put in a 'no' option it'd be balanced even more on the side of the other thread.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Moth_Monk said:
Do you know what's worse than rape?
A starving African baby.

And if you think that's even remotely funny you must be extremely detached because I don't think any emotive person would find that funny at all.

Yeah I reported the OP. Problem?
I laughed.

OT: Rape is hilarious, death is hilarious, life is hilarious, everything is hilarious.

Aug 25, 2009
Sure, you tell me where you live, I'll break into your house and drug you, tie you to a radiator and rape you repeately. I think at least raping you until you bleed and have internal bruising. Then once I'm done I'll make jokes about how you cried like a little girl and I was obviously the winner of this argument because I had raped you and it was hilarious how your tears mixed with the blood coming out of your body.

Let's see just how much you laugh.

Alright, on a more serious note. Sometimes rape can be funny. Jokes about the perpetrators going to prison and making new friends are worth a few black comedy chuckles. Offhand jokes about dropping the soap in a boy's boarding school shower will elicit a few laughs.

But sitting in front of a rape victim and telling jokes about how she was obviously asking for it and saying thay it would be hilarious if she was gang raped for protesting about the jokes you made? Somewhat less amusing.

How about, and I'm deadly serious, before you make a rape joke and say it's fine because no subject should be taboo, you either get raped or meet someone who has been raped. I know someone who was raped in the girl's toilets of a club. Someone followed her in, shoved her into a cubicle, stuffed a belt into her mouth and raped her.

Want to make a joke?