Poll: Rate your Intelligence! (UPDATED: NOW WITH I.Q. TEST TO PROVE YOUR BRAVDO!)

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
How smart do you think you are in relation to the rest of your country; Below average, average or above average, and what proof would you have to back that up?
It'll be interesting to see what results we get from the Escapist.

P.S.
I went for slightly above average, I always got good grades, and I've a degree, but then everyone has a degree nowadays...

Ok, here's a link to a free I.Q. test, I got

129, which isn't bad, last I.Q. test I took gave me 127.

http://www.free-iqtest.net/

Go on, let's see if your ego's been writing checks your body can't cash.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Average,
because I'm not cocky enough to think I'm smarter than everyone else.
Even if I were to claim I was slightly smarter,
I'd inevitably end up doing something stupid and disproving that claim.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
I never really looked at my grades as an indicator of intelligence. Sure sometimes you may think better logically being really good at math but be plain retarded in other subjects.

That aside I picked average because while I did better than most in school I never really don't see myself as anything great. I suppose I know my place in society you could say. I think intelligence comes from looking at things in a totally new and refreshing way, not how well do you memorize or are you good with numbers (even though that's a whole different type of intelligence so not saying math geniuses are nothing special)

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
This could get controversial, and (edit: most) everyone will say they're above average or better.

Myself? As a child I tested in the genius range (whether that's still true today or not, I don't know, but I am incredibly lazy so I would say "technically yes, but really no because I don't challenge myself") and was put into advanced classes until funding ran out and I went back to normal class.

... Anyway, I went to university and college and am a librarian for a legislative library now. Before that (and it was my first job after graduating) I was hired at a prestigious private school, so I must have done something right.

Still not sure what it was, though, because I'm as lazy as they get.

Honestly, I never learned how to study until college. All through middle school, high school and university my grades were only average because I never sat down to study anything. I did my homework, but never spent any time prepping for tests or essays and such. I'm mad at myself for that because I could have done so much better when I was younger, but because I did well without trying, I never actually learned how to try. Until I went to library school and got serious, then I would sit and study for hours on end and got 4.0's. I was more proud of myself for studying than the grades.

So, yeah. I chose 'genius' because I technically was, but I never learned how to try or had to work hard, so I failed myself in many ways and didn't smarten up until my mid 20's. And I still have to really work hard to motivate myself. ... As I reply to this thread instead of tackling the "to-do" list I made myself here at work so I can check things off my list and feel like I've actually done something.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I'm intelligent enough to know that I'm not particularly intelligent.

Also, fun fact: most people believe they are slightly above average. Which of course cannot possibly be true considering the definition of average.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
It varies depending on how well I've been sleeping, what I've been eating, how much exercise I've been getting, how stressed I am, and what my emotional state is. It also varies depending on the topic being discussed or the particular challenge placed before me.

In short, I careen between Super Genius and Catastrophically Stupid on an hour by hour basis.

Tanner The Monotone

I'm Tired. What else is new?
Aug 25, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:
How smart do you think you are in relation to the rest of your country; Below average, average or above average, and what proof would you have to back that up?
It'll be interesting to see what results we get from the Escapist.

P.S.
I went for slightly above average, I always got good grades, and I've a degree, but then everyone has a degree nowadays...
According to my IQ scores, I should be a genius. IQ scores don't necessarily show how intelligent a person is though. I think the fact that my laziness keeps me from expanding my mind and the that my mind can't seem to grasp most types of complicated math keeps me from being seen as an intelligent person. Though if people would look at how easily I can remember things and my puzzle solving skills, they would see how smart I really am.

I don't know, I'm just depressed about how people view me I guess.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Unrateable...

Yes, I'm that stupid... -_-

Yeah, I'm one of those snarky gits who admit to only knowing the extent of my ignorance...

Dec 14, 2009
I consider myself bright, but I don't know if I'd consider myself above average.

I mean, I was a terrible student, my grades were awful, but that's mostly because I struggle to focus on things that simply don't interest me.

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
How does one rate intelligence?
I'm pretty good at physics, but terrible at languages. Someone else might be the exact opposite.
Intelligence just in general isn't really something you can just rate.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
The correct answer is 2+2=Fish.....
Anyway I am smarter than most of the people I know & I'm not ashamed to admit it. I don't know everything & only an ass would say that they did. I'm no genius & I admit when I'm wrong, but when most of the people I went to high school with couldn't read or understand anything other than "The Cat in the Hat"..... Yeah I'm smarter than that. I took an IQ test once & my score was above average, whatever that means....

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
Considering everyone around me is going to uni this year and I'm not?

Not very intelligent at all.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I voted "slightly above average" because stating I was a genius would make me a nerd. We wouldn't want that, now would we?

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Well, what a surprise. The vast majority of people consider themselves to be slightly above average.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
The IQ test I took gave me a range of 125-130 but I don't think that qualifies me as a genius (I'm not sure does it?). I'm also lazy as all fuck though so don't expect any really profound comments from me :)

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
In Britain High schools performance is measured with both grades and 'value added' ie. the difference between your predicted grades and achieved grades. to calculate predicted grades we take CAT tests at age 11. Their pretty much IQ tests, although each one looks at a different area (verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning and something else). I averaged 135. This is not genius intelligence but it is more than 3 sigma above the mean so its more than 'slightly above average'.

So certainly, I'm better at certain types of reasoning than the majority of the population. On the other hand, I often struggle to open packets of sandwiches, and more to the point I have a frankly shocking memory (memory skills being recognised as an indicator of intelligence.)

But because I like boosting my own ego, I'm going with high intelligence.

edit: I think most of you are probably smarter than you think. I would expect a website like this to have a population skewed towards higher intelligence. problem is, if you are comparing yourself to people you know you probably will feel about average, because we tend to get on with and therefore hang out with people who communicate on our level, so the sample you compare yourself to is already biased to be similar to you anyway. Plus people have a tendency to look at the guys who are better than them, this occurs with any attribute (ie. the 'keeping up with the joneses' mentality) so we don't often have a clear picture of where we actually stand.