Poll: Rate your Intelligence! (UPDATED: NOW WITH I.Q. TEST TO PROVE YOUR BRAVDO!)

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
Demon ID said:
I went for well below average, I have a posh british accent so most people just assume I have more natural intellect than I actually do. I have more in common with a rock than I do Einstein.
was that pun intentional? [http://translate.google.de/?hl=de&tab=wT#de/en/ein%20stein]

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Rainforce said:
Demon ID said:
I went for well below average, I have a posh british accent so most people just assume I have more natural intellect than I actually do. I have more in common with a rock than I do Einstein.
was that pun intentional? [http://translate.google.de/?hl=de&tab=wT#de/en/ein%20stein]
Yes it was completely intentional maybe...

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Well, I torture "myself" over my intelligence or lack of it. It's hard to answer. In some ways I can be genius, yet to balance it out I follow up any prodigious insight with extreme stupidity or laziness...

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Yeah I'm cocky, I don't care.

I'd rather think I'm above ignorant and be wrong than think I'm average and be right.

Accepting the average never got anyone anywhere.

Ursus Buckler

Apr 15, 2011
After growing up in a comprehensive school I thought I was a fucking genius. Then I went to Grammar school and now I think I'm just above average. I dread to think what I'm going to think after Uni.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I just came here from reading a Youtube comment section; I feel like a fucking genius after that.

But really, I don't know. I'd would consider myself fairly intelligent but I have a very convoluted mind that makes me reach conclusions at a slower pace than others yet often picks up insights many would miss.

So, I can count to potato.

locoartero

Jan 3, 2011
IndomitableSam said:
This could get controversial, and (edit: most) everyone will say they're above average or better.

Myself? As a child I tested in the genius range (whether that's still true today or not, I don't know, but I am incredibly lazy so I would say "technically yes, but really no because I don't challenge myself") and was put into advanced classes until funding ran out and I went back to normal class.

... Anyway, I went to university and college and am a librarian for a legislative library now. Before that (and it was my first job after graduating) I was hired at a prestigious private school, so I must have done something right.

Still not sure what it was, though, because I'm as lazy as they get.

Honestly, I never learned how to study until college. All through middle school, high school and university my grades were only average because I never sat down to study anything. I did my homework, but never spent any time prepping for tests or essays and such. I'm mad at myself for that because I could have done so much better when I was younger, but because I did well without trying, I never actually learned how to try. Until I went to library school and got serious, then I would sit and study for hours on end and got 4.0's. I was more proud of myself for studying than the grades.

So, yeah. I chose 'genius' because I technically was, but I never learned how to try or had to work hard, so I failed myself in many ways and didn't smarten up until my mid 20's. And I still have to really work hard to motivate myself. ... As I reply to this thread instead of tackling the "to-do" list I made myself here at work so I can check things off my list and feel like I've actually done something.
Pretty much this, but I never recieved any kind of special education because I live in Argentina, and they don't give a fuck about this here. That, and I ended up in film school. Still don't know how to "propperly study", I just read shit and it sticks. IQ of 157 as of 2008. You?
I'm kinda interested in your story now.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
I'd consider myself well below average. I have trouble remembering the simplest things, I can barely even do simple maths, and I'm a complete failure at communication.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Angry Juju said:
axlryder said:
calm down, why are you so angry about nothing? okay, i'll try and sum things up in as few words as possible because I can't be bothered to address everything you wrote to explain what's wrong with it and how you completely miss points, make assumptions and repeat things, only to have you reply back with more angry text trying to explain to me why you think i'm wrong.

This thread isn't anonymous. As soon as someone makes a comment saying what they chose on the poll, it ceases to remain anonymous.

There are 8 pages in this thread, read through before telling me i'm blowing things out of proportion.

Try and find the meaning behind a post and what I was saying before repeating something which is already understood.
Angry? You're being a bit foolishly presumptuous about another person's emotional state. (a single word in capitals for emphasis and honest assessments hardly denote anger). It sounds more like you want me to be angry or unsettled. Sorry to disappoint you, bro.

Also, your entire statement basically reads as "I made a bad point, so instead of actually writing a rebuttal, I'll just say you missed the point to cover for just how poorly thought out my statement actually is". Lame cop out. It looks even worse when you're clearly trying to cherry pick and come off as something of a hypocrite as the entire premise of most of your statements are based in assumptions. You've also clearly missed meaning behind certain points yourself. That or you just have no counterargument so you choose to ignore them.

The poll itself IS anonymous. People don't write their names next to the poll results. Yes, some of what's written in the thread may well reflect on or influence the poll's overall results (giving away a percentage of which votes can be attributed to who), but no one is ticking "above average" in hopes of impressing people (the key point of your initial post). They'd leave a comment to impress people. What's more, people are likely to weigh in immediately without reading. Misdiagnosis/assessment (which I agree people tend to do) or otherwise, you're likely going to get more candid (or at least kneejerk) responses from a poll than what you'll likely see in thread responses. Trying to use the comments as a gauge of the reasoning behind poll results is certainly an idea, but you're not going to see a direct correlation, which is what I took issue with. What's more, the comments themselves are all over the map in terms of content and justification for self-ratings. It doesn't really matter though as you've already shown how poorly formed your points are. First you said "people lie and want to make themselves feel/look good" and then you said "you know they just misdiagnosed themselves when they saw a couple of symptoms". Either you're moving the goalposts or your forgetting to add key details.

As to the thread itself, I've skimmed through, and you're blowing things way out of proportion. Very few are claiming genius status based purely on grades. A significant number of people (the majority of whom I don't believe claimed genius) are factoring grades in to some extent. Of course, again, that's not an entirely unreasonable thing to do (your own personal example being easily ignored based on it being a single course with a single teacher and me not knowing the level of your aptitude). You also haven't addressed my main points of demographic and 2 or so years of observation, so you've done basically no leg work here to prove me wrong on that front. Your attempt at an intelligence gauge is still terrible. Unless you're just extremely terrible at conveying ideas, it falls apart when put under the slightest practical scrutiny. My previous point stands.

You're probably a really nice guy and everything, but condescending dismissal does practically nothing to make you sound convincing. You really just come off as arrogant on top of being wrong.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
ITT: A psychologist's wet dream. Seriously, those results are damn near perfect.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
kickassfrog said:
ThrobbingEgo said:
kickassfrog said:
Top of my year for all my A-levels, so academic wise I'm probably pretty good.
The only problem I have is working in retail, the average person can sometimes come across as lacking in any though processes whatsoever.

So I'm torn between genius and slightly above average.
If I had to guess, I'd say about IQ of perhaps 130-ish.

As an amusing little aside, I once got a 239 on an IQ test just to mess with one of my friends.
130 is not 'slightly above average.' That's two standard deviations from the average, which would put you at a single IQ point below Mensa. 115 would be significantly above average.
between Genius and Slightly Above Average
130 is in no way slightly above average. There's nothing slightly about being that far above 115.

Edit: Eh, but you don't have any other other options in the poll. I get it. I was just thrown off by 'slightly above average' paired with an IQ of 130, which in any other situation would make me spit tea all over my laptop.

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
I don't know.

However, I do know that I'm smart enough to know that it's a dickish move to overestimate ones own intelligence.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Above average. I can name nearly every significant event in the four hundred years(I'm working my way down). As well as Roman history, I can recite Shakespeare, and many other playwrights. But why I'm not a genius is because I suck at sports, math, and physics. I'm good at chemistry though!

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
Grades in school and A levels aren't based off intelligence, they are based off how well you can memorise the textbook in front of you and write it down onto paper.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Lumber Barber said:
I've always noticed that the more a person thinks he is smart, the more ignorant he is.
Sure, he might know lots of stuff and be good at math, but that doesn't make him smart, it just means he has good memory.
A smart one once said, "I know one thing, that I know nothing".
That was either Socrates or someone paraphrasing him.

A large part of his philosophy was based off that idea. "It's not what you know, it's what you realize you don't know."

Wise words, imo.

Captcha: NASA describe this brand with any words. Wait, what? I wasn't aware NASA was a brand... o_O

Kuhkren

Apr 22, 2009
I said average. I have fields of knowledge where I'm well read and competent, and others where I have absolutely no idea. Then there is the theory of multiple intelligences where you can be brilliant in one intelligence and very slow in another.

So I don't really have a good metric to judge my own by except for admitting there are many situations where I have very little knowledge or understanding. In my head this balances as average. Cool survey, I like the responses.