Poll: Rate your Intelligence! (UPDATED: NOW WITH I.Q. TEST TO PROVE YOUR BRAVDO!)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Ieyke said:
[quote/]It's also a bit....limiting in dealing with other people. Can you imagine how many women I just can't see as having any potential for a relationship? Intentionally simplifying your vocabulary and having to explain things you've known since you were in elementary school is....frustrating.
what?..like your doing now?
[quote/]
Actually, no. The Escapist, as with many places on the internet, tends to attract a lot of similar people. In this case they tend to be above-average intelligence ones.
.[/quote]

this was kind of the point that bothered me

I honestly don't see how you would have any issue with women/people in terms of vocabulary...unless your explaining some complex concept...and I'm pretty sure people don't talk about complex concepts 24/7

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Vault101 said:
Ieyke said:
[quote/]It's also a bit....limiting in dealing with other people. Can you imagine how many women I just can't see as having any potential for a relationship? Intentionally simplifying your vocabulary and having to explain things you've known since you were in elementary school is....frustrating.
[quote/]
Actually, no. The Escapist, as with many places on the internet, tends to attract a lot of similar people. In this case they tend to be above-average intelligence ones.

I honestly don't see how you would have any issue with women/people in terms of vocabulary...unless your explaining some complex concept...and I'm pretty sure people don't talk about complex concepts 24/7[/quote]

I actually kind of agree with him on the vocabulary front. Despite not having a spectacular vocabulary, I use a lot of words that a good number of people don't seem to know when I talk. It can be a tiny bit frustrating when you're having a conversation and then you have to explain the definition of a word. Just today I was talking to someone who didn't know what emulsion, pretentious or juxtaposition meant. Also, I like your new(ish) avatar.

The Consequence

Aug 21, 2010
I am the smartest entity that has EVER LIVED!! AND IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME THEN FUCK YOU!! (hahahahahahaha) see what I did there, thats funnys to mes

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
axlryder said:
I actually kind of agree with him on the vocabulary front. Despite not having a spectacular vocabulary, I use a lot of words that a good number of people don't seem to know when I talk. It can be a tiny bit frustrating when you're having a conversation and then you have to explain the definition of a word. Just today I was talking to someone who didn't know what emulsion, pretentious or juxtaposition meant. Also, I like your new(ish) avatar.
most people arent that bad though

but (DERP) I don't know what emulsion means

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
Vault101 said:
axlryder said:

Emulsion is a type of liquid - something like mayonnaise, it's comprised of two liquids that don't usually mix. It's also the common name for a type of paint.

It's not exactly something most people who aren't scientists, interior decorators or photographers come across on a regular basis.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Vault101 said:
axlryder said:

Nevermind, I've been ninja'd. Common example would be mixed oil and water, however. I'd imagine many cooks would be familiar with the term.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
axlryder said:
Vault101 said:
Ieyke said:
[quote/]

I honestly don't see how you would have any issue with women/people in terms of vocabulary...unless your explaining some complex concept...and I'm pretty sure people don't talk about complex concepts 24/7
I actually kind of agree with him on the vocabulary front. Despite not having a spectacular vocabulary, I use a lot of words that a good number of people don't seem to know when I talk. It can be a tiny bit frustrating when you're having a conversation and then you have to explain the definition of a word. Just today I was talking to someone who didn't know what emulsion, pretentious or juxtaposition meant. Also, I like your new(ish) avatar.[/quote]
EXACTLY. There are so many words that people just inexplicably don't know....hell, inexplicably is a good example. Do you know how often I get a blank stare when I say "inexplicable" instead of "unexplainable"(which is NOT a word!)? Feeling like a pretentious asshole all the time because you constantly have to define words for people gets old really REALLY fast.
I'm not sitting here using "complicated" words on purpose. I just use whatever comes to mind fastest as the most accurate/correct way to say something.

I'm not sure if this is an "unusual strength" for me, or if this is just a widespread problem for loads of other people. All I know is that I don't put any real effort into having a good vocabulary, but I still constantly deal with people giving me confused stares, like I'm speaking Japanese or something.

As far as discussing complex concepts 24/7...have you ever randomly realized you were mall-ratting with your friends, just derping around a department store, and for some reason you've spent the last hour and a half talking about 17th-century philosophy? Or have you ever been hanging out with your friends in the park and ended up on the playground's roundabout (those twirly merry-go-round things) spinning at full speed while discussing physics as if it were the most normal thing in the world?
That type of stuff happens constantly with my friends. We spend more time talking about geeky stuff (D&D, video games, movies, or whatever), to be sure, but those weird moments of "Are we seriously discussing etymology while hanging off the roof?" happen frequently enough.

And yea, I get why people question people claiming to be geniuses on the internet, but they ARE out there. Whether you realize it or not, places like The Escapist, where we can come discuss all our weird fascinations and such with like-minded people, tend to attract people who enjoy and take part in that type of conversation.
You know how many big weird moral/philosophical debates I've taken part in on The Escapist, while simultaneously watching cartoons or playing Minecraft? A lot. It's the computer-based equivalent of my friends and I hanging out at the mall and discussing philosophy.
In case you guys don't realize this, that's NOT REALLY NORMAL for most people.
So, if you're sitting at home taking part in these same discussions on here that I do, while simultaneously watching TV or whatever, there's a good chance you're a a fair bit smarter than average. Maybe a great deal smarter than you're giving yourself credit for.

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
Average. To quote Rob Gordon, "I mean, I may not be the smartest person in the world, but I sure as hell ain't the dumbest either. I mean, I've read books like The Unbearable Lightness of Being or Love in the Time of Cholera, and I think I've understood them.

"They're about chicks, right? Just kidding."

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Meh, it never really mattered to me, but I'll just say average. However, my husband is above average. He's a smarty-pants.

ddon

Jun 29, 2009
I consider myself above average. Don't get me wrong, I do not believe I am intelligent. I just believe the majority of human beings are morons.

Judgment90

Sep 4, 2012
I'm definitely above average, as I was a constant A-B honorroll student from 7th grade to when I graduated. I have an AA degree, and currently am going for an AS as well, giving me 2 degrees.

However, to make myself feel more arrogant, I definitely say I have a magnificent brain and try to flaunt my intellect.

Joez19

Nov 5, 2012
Sadly, this forum does not allow me to input my correct age, which would probably suprise you. I know that I.Q. is not a perfect judgment of intellect, but I do belive that it would be fitting to add that my I.Q, as tested yesterday, was 183, so quite sufficient to be considered genius. However, the arguments on this forum on the validity of these so-called genius ratings are quite reasonable, but I might add that there can, and should be, a higher concentration of geniuses here, for the obvious reasons. Further, to back up my self-assessment as a genius,I have attended several international math competitions where i was the youngest by at least 2 years, and I achieved a professional level in guitar in 1.5 years time, as compared to the usual 30+ years it should take, is quite an achievement. In addition, I am bilingual, and can be mistaken as a native in America and Spain. But, of course, given my age, I'm probably the stupidest here, but relative to my respective age group, I'm definitely a genius.. But, hey, age isn't something I can really help.

As a final thought, most people here place themselves at slightly above average, knowing the psychology behind it. In reality, there is a very small likelihood that they are not significantly above average, seeing as they took the time to post on this thread, which they would not be attracted to, otherwise. And according to the Kruger-Dunning effect, smarter people rate themselves lower, because they think that since a test was easy to them means that that test was easy to everyone else, which is not exactly a contributing factor toward a good personality.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
75% of people think they are above average intelligence. That means one person in four is a dumbass and doesn't even know it. I think that explains most of society's problems.

I test in the 140 range, however I am not formally educated beyond high school. There are people with far less intelligence who know lots more than I do.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Joez19 said:
Sadly, this forum does not allow me to input my correct age, which would probably suprise you. I know that I.Q. is not a perfect judgment of intellect, but I do belive that it would be fitting to add that my I.Q, as tested yesterday, was 183, so quite sufficient to be considered genius. However, the arguments on this forum on the validity of these so-called genius ratings are quite reasonable, but I might add that there can, and should be, a higher concentration of geniuses here, for the obvious reasons. Further, to back up my self-assessment as a genius,I have attended several international math competitions where i was the youngest by at least 2 years, and I achieved a professional level in guitar in 1.5 years time, as compared to the usual 30+ years it should take, is quite an achievement. In addition, I am bilingual, and can be mistaken as a native in America and Spain. But, of course, given my age, I'm probably the stupidest here, but relative to my respective age group, I'm definitely a genius.. But, hey, age isn't something I can really help.

As a final thought, most people here place themselves at slightly above average, knowing the psychology behind it. In reality, there is a very small likelihood that they are not significantly above average, seeing as they took the time to post on this thread, which they would not be attracted to, otherwise. And according to the Kruger-Dunning effect, smarter people rate themselves lower, because they think that since a test was easy to them means that that test was easy to everyone else, which is not exactly a contributing factor toward a good personality.
Isn't it ironic you just said you're a genius but people above average wouldn't care about this thread? I highly doubt you can say what interest people by intellect. My brother is a genius but he gets his kicks by pretending to be retarded.

As for me it depends on what kind of scale you're measuring intelligence. If you're going by the mean I'm smarter since there's a lot of stupid people who lower the average. If you're going by the median I'm average.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
I like to think I'm smart but I make a lot of stupid decisions, ones that are usually informed by laziness and/or apathy. Smart enough to recognize my problems but not intelligent enough to take control of them. I'm probably just your average idiot when it's all said and done.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
I was always told I had great potential, smartest kid in the room &e. Always scored in the top 2% on all the standardized tests. IQ of 144 all sorts of bull.

None of that meant jack and I still dropped out of high school.

I'm smart, but most people are. Really, I'm not pulling your leg. Descartes was right about that; everyone, yes everyone, has reason and if they use it they seem smart, if they don't they seem stupid.

That's why I put average on the poll. I will never be a physicist but I'll debate the shit out of anyone who is. (At least when it comes to philosophy and theology)

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
How smart do you think you are in relation to the rest of your country; Below average, average or above average, and what proof would you have to back that up?
It'll be interesting to see what results we get from the Escapist.

P.S.
I went for slightly above average, I always got good grades, and I've a degree, but then everyone has a degree nowadays...
62 people are a meme. I think your question is biased.

Reginald

May 9, 2012
I scored genius levels on IQ tests when I was a kid, but now I can only really trick people into thinking I'm smart by saying a lot of made up words real quick. Where did I go so wrong?