Poll: Resident Evil: Reboot or no Reboot

Ironbat92

Nov 19, 2009
Recently, Capcom Producer, Masachika Kawata, said that reboot for Resident Evil is a possibility:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/resident-evil-reboot-possible-6403234
I wouldn't mind to see a reboot to the series, especially after Resident Evil 6. Maybe it would turn into a full action series, go back to be a survival horror series, or just Re-make Resident Evil 4 or study to what made that game so amazing.
Thoughts?

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
Well, the only games in the franchise I played were the original 3, Code Veronica X and Deadaim (we shall never discuss that terrible game though!). I remember the storylines and shit getting really fucking stupid by the later points, especially in Code Veronica when Wesker pops back up as a ghost, or some ridiculous shit. That killed my interest in playing any of the others. I think what made the original games so cool was, you had no idea what the fuck was going on. You eventually learned it was Umbrella but that was it, and it was damn fun as it raised the tension a lot.

I would probably play another Resident Evil game if the did a re-boot containing the original games styles. As in the opening three. That could be really fun.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
Eh... I guess it wouldn't hurt. Why though? Why not just make a new series? I played plenty of the RE games and enjoyed them, but it's not like they really have characters or plot threads worth preserving. Just strikes me as unnecessary.

Though if they come out with something that rocks as hard as the REmake, I will rescind my statement.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
the story after 3 started to go tits up. So a reboot would be ok. What it would be rebooted into im not so sure :S

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
I enjoyed RE0 RE1 RE Code Veronica and RE4. I liked S.D. Perry's novels, a better writer than the monkeys at Capcom.

Reboot? Sure why not, the series is about as bad as it can get right now.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
Its at that point where i's gotten too ridiculous. While I don't think DMC needed a reboot (I personally thought another game where Nero starts to become more like Vergil could've been interesting), Resident Evil could use one.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Yes, a thousand times yes. Resident Evil needs to shed the action game skin it has now and go back to it's roots badly. It needs to become a tension filled survival horror franchise again not the gung-ho shooter one it is now.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
I'm actually quite fond of the characters and who they are. While I'm not against a reboot or remake, I'd rather them just flesh out their ideas better and realise that 1 character is better that 4. I really wanna see where they could take Jake Mullers story. The way I see it, Chris's story should have ended at 5, Leons story will never end until he either settles down with Ada or she dies, Jill has been turned into a side character almost but could totally pull off a return, same goes with Claire. Now is the time to capitalise on Jakes story and flesh him out some more, I enjoyed his character and think it would be better to see him with more people like Leon, Claire or Jill. Not that there's anything wrong with Sherry, I just think that the interactions between Jake and Leon in RE6 was interesting and would like to see more reactions from other people whom new his father.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Depends. What're they going to do? Is it going to be horror or action? Are they getting better writers? Are they keeping all the old cast? Will this finally end those POS movies? Will it be fixed camera or third person? Better yet, how about you just sell the franchise to a company that actually does write well like Bioware or Visceral or Obsidian?

If we can get a resident evil like 4 or Revelations, then I guess it's worth it. If not, well just rename the series and keep using the current cast.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Resident Evil 4 was already a reboot which ditched all that Umbrella/Wesker nonsense, and pulled the gameplay into the direction it was always trying to be. And it was glorious. Courtesy of Shinji Mikami.

At this point however Resident Evil is to Capcom what Final Fantasy is to Square Enix; Something they just can't get a grip on and spin gold out of anymore.

I really just stopped caring, since I know they'll never get even close to the quality of RE4.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
I'd argue that they should reboot it, if only to figure out what the series is supposed to be about, since 6 was trying (and failing) at being at last three different games at once...

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
God yes. If there was ever any video game series that needed a reboot it's this one. They messed it up to a point of no return. The only way forward for the series is a reboot.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I don't care at all. "Reboot" implies you're starting out a new alternative timeline to the origical canon (like DmC). That's really all that changes. You don't need a reboot to radically alter gameplay (the franchise speaks for itself on this). So if you want the series to reboot, that's because you're tired of the story and want a fresh take on the zombie outbreak premise. And I don't really care about that.

SnakeCL

Apr 8, 2008
Like I've said in the other threads, I'd rather they split off Resident Evil into two franchises. The more action-related one as one Franchise, and the slower traditional one as another. They happen in the same universe, and might even reference eachother on occasion, but have the more traditional one center around smaller outbreaks or incidents in remote areas, usually with civilian individuals as the protagonists. Then have the current BSAA large-scale action horror outbreaks of RE5, RE6 as the action-RE franchise.

You'd have to develop for two games, but there's two actual audiences here, and they don't exactly see eye to eye. Make a game for each, instead of trying to alienate one group to appease the other continually.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
DmC: Devil May Cry should've been a reboot of Resident Evil.
(although I shudder to think of what Ninja Theory would do to a Resident Evil game)

And Resident Evil 6 should've been Devil May Cry 5.

If there's any franchise I can say NEEDS a reboot, it's this one. The only unanswered question I can think of is, who is Ada working for? But I'm not sure if that's enough justification for another Resident Evil game that will disappoint everyone.

Kirov Reporting

Jan 12, 2013
The problem is, it feels every time there's a new game it's an attempt at a reboot. The way they basically disregard everything from before, build it from the ground up, with an entirely new system (sometimes for the better, often for the worse).. I think they need to figure out the difference between a reboot and a sequel, and make a much clearer distinction.

None of this half-arsed 'ok, let's make it all new and AWESOME' stuff, either refine what worked about 4 (because apparently that's the favourite) and make more of that, or chuck it all in the bin and start over from day one, with lessons learned and the story back to 'an incident seems to be occurring out in Raccoon Forest.. What's up with that?