Poll: Role reversal legend of zelda

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I don't know about you but this one looks much more appealing to me.

I would really like there to be a game where you can play as zelda instead of link. I would buy a game like that in a heartbeat.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I don't care what this was inspired by or why, I am just genuinely interested in the concepts this person came up with. It's pretty neat all around. The two main issues I have, however, is: Zelda needs to look more like Zelda and less like Link. I'm fine with her donning her own version of his iconic outfit, but at least let her have her signature long hair (even if it is held up by something). My second issue is that Link's bio is pretty weak as it stands right now. You don't need to make Link weak so that Zelda appears strong. Despite what Anita thinks, Zelda is a remarkably strong character despite serving in a support role. As long as Link still embodies the "Triforce of Courage" then I am happy.

This should give us a new perspective on the characters, not reinvent them entirely.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
I would like to see a Zelda game that had either an option to choose Link's gender at the start, or possibly a game that starred Zelda as the protagonist instead of Link. Either way has possibilities, IMO.

Aren't each of the Link's reincarnations anyways? I don't see why Link can't just reincarnate a a female once in a while, and making it a choosable option at the start should placate most of the complainers who can't stand playing as women, since it would make it optional. I never saw the Zelda games (at least the oens I have played) being big on voice acting, so I can't imagine it being a terribly expensive option to explore.

Zelda is already a female, so making her the protagonist could work in a pinch as well.

Tomaius

Jan 25, 2012
To me this just seems like a lazy role reversal, Link and Zelda's gender arbitrarily changed. The overall design wouldn't change if she was a man or a woman.

Here is an idea, what if there were two Zeldas. One filled the usual Princess role, of being the heir to the throne and being manipulated by Ganon, and the other filled the main character role (Her design being based on Sheik). They would be a Zelda, but the main character Zelda (Who is the stronger character) could be used to demonstrate how stale and lifeless the usual princess role is.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
This one just looks like female Link (which I would find interesting in itself) and the concept of the game is cool as well - but I wouldn't really think of it as "Zelda going on an adveeentuurre!"

The big focus on magic seems apt but I'd imagine Zelda much more proficient with a bow than a sword. And also to dress a bit more feminine. I'm really trying to not come across as sexist here but what is the point if she almost looks like and seems to act like a man?

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I approve of this idea. With that said though, I would rather have them use the idea in OP's link (huehuehue) to make a new IP instead of calling it Zelda. Don't get me wrong, I love most Zelda games, but some more original IPs would be nice every now and then.

traineesword

Jan 24, 2010
ItsNotRudy said:
The drawings just look like Link with breasts. I don't see anything of Princess Zelda in her.

I know it's going for the whole feminist her der hear us roar kinda thing, but why does the most feminine character in the series have to change into a boy with a generous A-cup.
That's my problem with it too. I don't think you need to have her dressed up as purple Link to make her a proper female character.

As far as I'm concerned, Zelda's had her game where she is a great Hero and a 'strong bad-ass woman'. It's called Hyrule: Total war

Sure, it's a fan-game and not necessarily Canon but it is a much cooler idea than 'dress her up the same as the boy-hero so that she can be badass too'. Just keep her as Ruler of Hyrule and make her defend Hyrule. (I guess the only hitch here is that the reason she's defending Hyrule is because Link's not there to save the day)

EDIT: have a link to the wiki on it http://zeldawiki.org/Community:Hyrule:_Total_War

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
I think I saw this on the GeekGirls facebook page a couple of weeks ago.
Still, I would play the hell out of that. It'd be a lot of fun and a nice little mix up of the classic Legend of Zelda formula.
Nintendo, get on this! If anyone would make this sort of thing without backlash from investors, it'd be you.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Moonlight Butterfly said:
I loved those ideas linked in the OP and wish they could be a game. I don't see any problem with Zelda being girly but it may put guys off playing it if it's too bedecked in pink and frills.
Thing is in Japan pink is considered a masculine color as it IS the color of their national flower. Still, they seem to have far more variety in their female characters then the West does.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Aiddon said:
Thing is in Japan pink is considered a masculine color as it IS the color of their national flower. Still, they seem to have far more variety in their female characters then the West does.
Well I was just thinking I would still want it to sell well, ya know. If it comes across like Barbie in Adventure Land nobodies going to buy it.

I, personally, would be okay with girly Zelda but many wouldn't. It's hard enough to get some guys to consider a female protagonist.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Aiddon said:
Well I was just thinking I would still want it to sell well, ya know. If it comes across like Barbie in Adventure Land nobodies going to buy it.

I, personally, would be okay with girly Zelda but many wouldn't. It's hard enough to get some guys to consider a female protagonist.
True; if there were truly justice in the world I would make Zelda's outfit just as vibrantly pink as always if she were playable just to annoy the idiots insecure about their beloved testosterone.

Sabitsuki

Apr 20, 2013
Auron225 said:
And also to dress a bit more feminine. I'm really trying to not come across as sexist here but what is the point if she almost looks like and seems to act like a man?
riottrio said:
That's my problem with it too. I don't think you need to have her dressed up as purple Link to make her a proper female character.
To me, this way of thinking is completely missing the point.

If Zelda were in the role of Link, why would she not look and dress similar to him? We have a character that is leading a humble, active, adventurous life style. Fighting monsters, jumping around death traps, wielding a wide variety of weapons and traveling across the world. Doesn't having short hair make sense to that role? Doesn't wearing simple, practical clothing that doesn't accentuate your figure make sense to that role? Wouldn't looking like a dainty princess seem a bit backwards? We only associate these roles with being masculine because it is a role almost entirely occupied by male characters, but for what reason? The point is reducing that gender association to be more neutral so any gender can occupy a role seamlessly, and arbitrarily adding in feminine elements that serve no actual character purpose is just going to contrast them.

Which isn't to say that a character's design always has to be 100% practical to the role they are in with absolutely no space for stylistic flair or visual appeal, but impractical female design is already something we have a dreadful over abundance of. We want to break away from the norm. here.

In the Hyrule: Total War screenshots. It makes more sense for Zelda to look more feminine, since she was in her role as a princess leading up to the time of battle. However, giving her a bright pink, lightly armored outfit that forms to her body, with dainty gloves and a skirt doesn't really make a whole lot of sense for someone out on a battle field. We have her put into a role, and her outfit is senselessly differs from others doing the same thing as her, just for the sake of femininity, at the expense of any semblance of practicality.
Once again, this is not to say she needs the same static, uniform outfit as everyone else, especially given that she is royalty; but it is a design that has little logic to it aside from trying to force a feminine look where it has no place. Something we already see all over the place.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I kind of don't like their representation of Link. It's not cricket if we demean male characters in return...I mean really puffy sleeves :S

I think a handsome airship captain might be a better move on that one. Then have Zelda be the lost heir to the throne.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
I wouldn't reverse the characters around, but I would LOVE to see a female Link incarnation ^^
Though you must wonder if they'd get in a legal dispute with 'Linkara' xD

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I kind of don't like their representation of Link. It's not cricket if we demean male characters in return...I mean really puffy sleeves :S

I think a handsome airship captain might be a better move on that one. Then have Zelda be the lost heir to the throne.
Yeah, that would probably work better. Plus being Japan and all they'd have a FAR different view of royalty and masculinity. While some may deride Link for his androgynous looks, he's still capable of kicking all kinds of ass.

ItsNotRudy

Mar 11, 2013
Sabitsuki said:

If Zelda were in the role of Link, why would she not look and dress similar to him? We have a character that is leading a humble, active, adventurous life style. Fighting monsters, jumping around death traps, wielding a wide variety of weapons and traveling across the world. Doesn't having short hair make sense to that role? Doesn't wearing simple, practical clothing that doesn't accentuate your figure make sense to that role? Wouldn't looking like a dainty princess seem a bit backwards? We only associate these roles with being masculine because it is a role almost entirely occupied by male characters, but for what reason? The point is reducing that gender association to be more neutral so any gender can occupy a role seamlessly, and arbitrarily adding in feminine elements that serve no actual character purpose is just going to contrast them.
Zelda is first and foremost an archer and a mage. Can also use her Sheikah abilities to do ninja-esque things in an appropriate attire. A game centered around her should focus on these things. As it stands, regardless of outfit- it's just Link with an A-cup.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
ItsNotRudy said:
Zelda is first and foremost an archer and a mage. Can also use her Sheikah abilities to do ninja-esque things in an appropriate attire. A game centered around her should focus on these things. As it stands, regardless of outfit- it's just Link with an A-cup.
Exactly, you should make her a lot different from Link from a gameplay standpoint as well. Link is essentially a Fighter (if we're going by tabletop terminology) who can also use a lot of gadgets while Zelda is essentially an Arcane Archer with a bit of ninja or rogue abilities. From a gameplay standpoint you'd have to justify it otherwise the differences are superficial. Like I said before if you can't do at least THAT then it's pointless for Zelda to be a protagonist.

Sabitsuki

Apr 20, 2013
ItsNotRudy said:
Sabitsuki said:

The concept quite clearly features an emphasis on use of magic, and acrobatic combat specifically from Sheika training. Legend of Zelda games have always heavily featured use of a bow. It uses the themes that Zelda herself is known for and meshes them into the active role that we know Link for.
I'm also not sure I understand the intent of your 'Link with an A-cup' line aside from carrying some unfortunate implications in your attempt to shame the idea. My post made it quite clear that I would support such an idea as I believe characters should be dictated more by their role than their gender.

ItsNotRudy

Mar 11, 2013
Sabitsuki said:
The concept quite clearly features an emphasis on use of magic, and acrobatic combat specifically from Sheika training. Legend of Zelda games have always heavily featured use of a bow. It uses the themes that Zelda herself is known for and meshes them into the active role that we know Link for.
I'm also not sure I understand the intent of your 'Link with an A-cup' line aside from carrying some unfortunate implications in your attempt to shame the idea. My post made it quite clear that I would support such an idea as I believe characters should be dictated more by their role than their gender.
I don't shame the idea of having Zelda star in her own game. Quite the contrary: I'd love it.

But this is simply cloning Link into a girl. You can come up with excuses as to why she has to wield a sword this time around or why she is nimble, or why it is practical. It doesn't matter. It's not the character Princess Zelda as we have known her throughout all the games. From passive royal, to wielder of magic/bows, she has never taken the role of 'Fighter' in the same sense as Link. And she shouldn't.

I mean, is that really what we're waiting for then? Another OoT clone? The last original title in the series (namely MM) was good because it deviated. Yes, Link was still a fighter, but through spells/masks great diversity was brought to the table. Spells that Zelda has potential to wield without masks! Give her a dagger for close range jabs or blocks, but that should be about it.

Reversing the role of Zelda and Link isn't the way to go about this. Zelda does tons of things during OoT which we don't get to see, but should involve adventuring and surviving, unless she just becomes a skilled archer, trained ninja and magic wielding badass for sitting on her bum for 7 years. That she can kick ass without being a Link-clone has already been established.