Poll: Saint's Row vs Grand Theft Auto

Xeraxis

Aug 7, 2011
I never really got into GTA4. From playing San Andreas and III, it just wasn't that appealing.
SR2 was crazy and fun as hell. So many shenanigans you could do.
Hopefully with GTA5, they can restore some of the fun freedom like in the previous ones.

Uncle_Brainhorn

Dec 18, 2009
If I'm by myself, Grand Theft Auto.

If I have someone to play with, Saint's Row.

This may or may not change with Saints Row 3 I don't care if they call it "the third" because it looks a lot better than Saints Row 2.

That said, I'm getting this AND GTA 5, but they're coming out months and months apart, so it really doesn't matter.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
It's a race...SR3 slipped on the customisation and advertising, but have a more solid product.

GTA is re-treading old ground, but looks nicer. Rockstar and Volition have a habit of screwing the PC for the consoles though...
I'm hoping they'll release more customization options (including a male Hispanic accent) as DLC. Are you a PC only gamer root?
I'm actually hoping for this too, seriously why doesn't it have the same customization from the 2nd game? To me that is the boss, not the character I created in 3. I want my purple trench coat, sombrero wearing, hispanic badass back.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Nico, cousin, have you heard about this game called Saints Row? It's really good!

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I really had my eyes on Saints Row.

Don't get me wrong, I think it will be absolutely superb, and excellent, but I just have this niggling little itch in the back of my head saying that GTAV will just be that little bit better.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I think we should stop comparing them. SR1 was a ripoff of GTA. By the time SR2 and GTA IV game out, they'd gone in entirely different directions.

I preferred SR2 over GTA IV, and would say SR2 is the better game, but that's just my opinion and I still think both were good though neither has aged very well.

Very, very excited for SR3 in 2 weeks.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Rednog said:
I'm actually hoping for this too, seriously why doesn't it have the same customization from the 2nd game? To me that is the boss, not the character I created in 3. I want my purple trench coat, sombrero wearing, hispanic badass back.
You know those features you really liked? Well, Volition listened...And removed them!

...Seriously, though, it confuses me after all the talk about listening to the fans, they nixed customisation to such an extent.

Still take it over SimLibertyCity, but....

InfectedStar

Jul 7, 2011
I'm going with SR3, It generally has been more fun over the years then the GTA series had been. They DID nerf the customization for SR3 but if THAT was part of the fight between the two, SR3 would take gold anyways. It's most likely because Rockstar's last good GTA was San Andreas (probably spelt wrong) and they over work their employees SO goddamn much; besides, Red Dead Redemption was ok (but not great, just original... Well, sorta. *cough* *cough* Gun! *cough* *cough*), and L.A. NOIRE was a freakin' bust. Above all else you got way more humor from SR3 and alot more freedom (plus the easter eggs).

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Both, I dont have to choose :D although in all honesty I did enjoy GTA4 a little more than both Saints Row's

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Honestly the first official pre-release reviews, and unofficial leaks are kind of convincing me that THQ has lost it's way with "Saint's Row 3", because at the last minute I'm hearing a LOT more that I don't like than I like. I'm not to the point of cancelling my pre-order, but when I'm hearing it takes 16 hours tops to finish, and roughly 20 hours to get 100% if your so inclined... well that's bad, and when you consider the lower level of customization and things like that it's beginning to seem like a disappointment waiting to happen.

As far as Grand Theft Auto goes, I tend to agree, I wasn't a huge fan of "Grand Theft Auto IV" to be honest, and to be honest the trailer for the new game doesn't impress me all that much, as the protaganist just seems like another macho crime guy. The hook here of him being a guy who wanted to retire just doesn't suck me in, that's about as stereotypical as you can get even if it's new to the series. Having a female protaganist could have been cool, because you don't see that too often in crime games, but it would have needed a decent storyline. All the GTAV shows is that "our graphics are good! the city will have rich and poor sections! the protaganist will be a crime drama stereotype!"... to me it seems like they were just creating a game based on their successful formula so far.

I think both Rockstar and THQ are totally missing what people felt made their games good to begin with. Either that or they don't care because the aspects that appealed to people were very expensive to do, and they want to cut them out to maximize profit. Customizable avatars, especially good ones, with a lot of options, are not the easiest thing to do apparently, especially when you need to test all those combinations to make sure they work with all the avatar dimensions. Likewise Grand Theft Auto V looks so generic that I can't help but wonder who they hired to write this one.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
While I've barely played Saint's Row (working on the first one atm) but I know that the last GTA I liked was Vice City. It was colorful, fun, over the top. San Andreas to me was the start of GTA's more serious bent. Not that there' anything wrong with that but I was really underwhelmed by the GTA 5 trailer.

So atm I have to say saint's row as it stands now.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Therumancer said:
Honestly the first official pre-release reviews, and unofficial leaks are kind of convincing me that THQ has lost it's way with "Saint's Row 3", because at the last minute I'm hearing a LOT more that I don't like than I like. I'm not to the point of cancelling my pre-order, but when I'm hearing it takes 16 hours tops to finish, and roughly 20 hours to get 100% if your so inclined... well that's bad, and when you consider the lower level of customization and things like that it's beginning to seem like a disappointment waiting to happen.
I disagree with your assessment. This is 16 hours of them playing primarily the story and estimating 20 hours for 100% completion. The reviewer was only guessing when they said 20 hours to 100% it, and that seems like a really off estimate. You could make the same assessment for SR2 and remember what else the review said - none of the missions were filler or fetch-quests.

That's what I'm excited about. 15 hours of main story? No big deal. Beats 30 hours of fetch quests and wandering.

i'm a little surprised people are saying the customisation options have been nerfed - you guys all seem to forget how limited the starting options were at the start of SR2. You didn't get really good stuff until you found other stores to shop at. I think the Initiation Station has a really good starting selection, not to mention the fact there's more hairstyles and hair/skin colours available.

And we haven't even SEEN the car customisation yet.

l33tabix

Mar 16, 2008
Anyone excited by the GTA V teaser is an invalid. Never get excited by a one and a half minute teaser children, get excited in like 6 months or whatever when the 2 minute TRAILER comes out.

I mean, look at the recent Max Payne trailer, it's jaw dropping, as is the recent Hitman: Absolution footage. But at the end of the day, I saw tonnes of people getting hype over the Hitman CGI teaser, and I'm sitting there thinking ,"you are all retarded, Square-Enix bought Eidos so expect to see sick CGI, don't go thinking they haven't ruined the game" now I've SEEN the game, I know they haven't.

Saint's Row 3 wins hands down. Every person I know who loves GTA all say they loved to slap the cheats on a mess about. (after doing the whole game of course)
At the end of the day I got SR2 3 weeks ago and now have all but 3 online achievements, I didn't bother to do pretty much all of Read Dead Redemption and about 40% of GTA-IV because they are both shit, boring games.
Yes you can disagree, but really...who wants to go try to get a gf in a GAME, or watch TV in a GAME, I play GAAAAMMEEEESSSS to HAAVEE FUUUNNN, not to re-enact real life whilst shouting stuff in an ambiguous eastern european accent. At least in Saints you can be whatever you want to be and do whatever you want to do, pretty much.
Not to mention after using the character creator I am A LOT happier with the English Accent in this game, the one in 2 was only good because it was laughable.

l33tabix

Mar 16, 2008
InfectedStar said:
I'm going with SR3, It generally has been more fun over the years then the GTA series had been. They DID nerf the customization for SR3 but if THAT was part of the fight between the two, SR3 would take gold anyways. It's most likely because Rockstar's last good GTA was San Andreas (probably spelt wrong) and they over work their employees SO goddamn much; besides, Red Dead Redemption was ok (but not great, just original... Well, sorta. *cough* *cough* Gun! *cough* *cough*), and L.A. NOIRE was a freakin' bust. Above all else you got way more humor from SR3 and alot more freedom (plus the easter eggs).
THANK YOU, I just played through Gun for the lols right after finishing RDR and I was like "Yep, it is 100% right, Gun was a better game than RDR and that came out in 2005 for Christ's sake." RDR is the most blatant rip off Gun in history, all they need to do is touch up the graphics a bit and add one more Hub town and you've got a completely better game right there. Oh and turn down the BS on Insane, lol. and if they could somehow blend Call of Juarez 2's aim system for when you chrouch behind stuff when aiming that'd be amazing.

l33tabix

Mar 16, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
Sure, GTA IV wasn't as fun, but damn I have so many fond memories of GTA 3, VC, SA, LCS and VCS. I could never find a single bad thing about any of those games. I love them to death
and what alludes you to the idea that V won't be like IV and will be like the old games? Cos I hope its worse than IV, everyone buys it, says it sucks, then they wait till the next console gen comes out and make Vice City 2.0 and make it more like the old games.

delvin313

Feb 17, 2011
Remember, past success =/= future success.

I loved the GTA series up to and including SA. I tried to enjoy GTA IV, but it wasn't fun. I mean, come on, your friends are always calling you to do boring things. The game should be entertaining me, not making me entertain sprites.

SR2 was buggy and not particularly optimized, but I had so much fun playing it. I am hoping the next instalment is also a ton of fun, and cleaned up a bit.

ryankarl

Jun 30, 2009
Saint's Row. because you can beat people to death with a three foot long purple dildo.

TITAN59650

Feb 22, 2011
I took a break from both games for awhile then my brother bought GTA IV when it came out. I played it and the entire time I was playing I went to do something then realized that what I wanted to do was in Saints Row, then I would do something else and again in Saints Row, and finally I wanted to do something else then again realized it was in Saints Row. I switched the games and I have never even finished GTA IV, it was a big empty visually stimulating world and I hated the camera angle while driving. Saints Row is just plain fun, from the game play to the side jobs like insurance fraud. I liked GTA: San Andreas but it had a lot of game crashing bugs I found, but I liked the game play concept and customization options.

joshperry94

Oct 23, 2011
Saints Row... It looks like its going to be a game that you can just sit back and have fun on, by messing around doing all kinds of crazy stuff...

ogrebushi

Jun 7, 2010
Chalk up another saints row nod here. I didnt get to play the first Saints Row too much since I never had an Xbox but got to steal plays here and there. The thing that hit me was the better drive by aiming and customizing cars... but the -biggest- thing the car garage storage is soooo much better maybe less realistic but just less of a pain in the ass. Then saints row 2 which i actually got to own waaay better. Ive been replaying San Andreas again recently and realizing uggh how could i "drive by shoot" like that and the cars handle like ass (at least on the pc) So Saints row all the way, though im sure ill still buy gta5