Poll: Scandinavians of the Escapist

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
OK so I just read and wrote in a Topic were we were supposed to answer where we came from and something about our country.
Well drunk as I am I scrolled through all six pages and only found about 8 Swedes, 2 Finns (me and one other guy) and 1 Danish dude
So this made me think, how many Scandinavians are we at this site and how spread out are we?
And as this is the Escapist I presume people not from Scandinavia are going to pop by to check the situation so there's a non-Scandinavian option in the poll :D
For those not aware, Scandinavia concists of (starting from the east) Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway (well Denmark is below Norway but Norway goes more westwards than Denmark only counting the mainland and not any islands) and last but not least Iceland and we are in the northern parts if Europe
So fellow friends, where are you from?
If you're Scadinavian I'd like to know what you think about the fact that our five countries are being put into one lump of land...
and
If you're not from Scandinavia, WHY DID YOU COMER HERE!!??! ;)

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
I'm Half-Norwegian, but don't/haven't ever lived in Scandinavia.

As for why, prolly to boost my post count while contributing to something.

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
I've slept with a girl from Finland once. She was really nice actually.
The other Scandinavian I've met was Swedish and...he was a drunkard, but again, a pleasant guy.

So hey, from what I gather, they're nice people. Woo!

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Swede here. Also, Finland isn't actually a part of Scandinavia. It's part of the Nordic countries, but not Scandinavia. Scandinavia is Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
IamQ said:
Swede here. Also, Finland isn't actually a part of Scandinavia. It's part of the Nordic countries, but not Scandinavia. Scandinavia is Norway, Sweden and Denmark.
Since I've been like 7 years old they've said in our schools that we are a part of Scandinavia :p
So in this thread us Finns are a part of Scandinavia ; )

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Guffe said:
IamQ said:
Since I've been like 7 years old they've said in our schools that we are a part of Scandinavia :p
Well, you Finns have always been part swedish, so... ;)

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
IamQ said:
Guffe said:
IamQ said:
Dessutom jag som är Finladsvensk å min mammas modersmål är svenska borde veta det bättre än någon annan, precis som majoritetn av mina vänner ; )

I just told him what he said is true in Swedish for anyone who cares : )

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Finnish here.
(As any other Finnish people can probably guess by my user-name)

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
About half of my ancestors come from Finland and Norway [footnote]the rest is a quarter Irish and a bit of French and German[/footnote], though they left a long time ago. My dad's adopted family[footnote]Who are mostly Scottish and English[/footnote] are part of The Old Apostolic church (I guess they are called the Firstborn in Finland where it originated) so thanks a lot Finland, now I have issues.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
'Nother Swede, Geat at heart, though.

Guffe said:
IamQ said:
Finland is part of Scandinavia as far as I'm concerned. Finlands sak är vår, et cetera. :3

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
Oh, I see the fact that at least Finland isn't a part of Scandinavia's been mentioned already. So yeah, the correct term would be Fenno-Scandinavia or Nordic Countries.
Well anyway, Finland here, in this small town called Hollola where I've met like 1 person that I get along with.
And also Pohjoismaat > Skandinavia

TheCrapMaster

Aug 31, 2009
Sweden here, to be the first one to actualy comment on one of the topics questions about " If you're Scadinavian I'd like to know what you think about the fact that our five countries are being put into one lump of land".

To be honest i have no trouble with that, Sure we don´t share what´s supposed to be eaten at certain occasion´s or tradition´s like that. And we all have our silly jokes or sterotypes of how our neighbours are. But we are all pretty small countries population wise and for most parts i dont think our society´s are that much different or our ideal´s. This may tho be something i have imagined in my head.

Sep 15, 2012
IamQ said:
Guffe said:
IamQ said:
Don't you mean "you Finns have been subjects of Sweden or considered as second-rate citizens for long enough?"
On the one hand I'm kind of sad that they are being taught to be part of their historic "oppressors," on the other the alternative would be relating them to russians or estonians.

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
100 per cent Norwegian, baby!
I'm from the most western part of the Norwegian coast, but since I'm in the army now, I'm stationed in the far north, in Kirkenes, as a Norwegian border soldier.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
i wouldn't regard Finland as Scandinavian, ever since their independence from Sweden they have don everything they possibly can to de-swedify their country, especially in regards to their weird made up gurgle language they "speak". silly cultural rebellion

if you couldn't tell from the arrogance and snide xenophobic comment i am a danish citizen.

in all seriousness i wouldn't know what was being said to me if someone spoke finish to me, let alone know what kind of food i was being served. that is how culturally and linguistically different they are. Finns are Nordic not Scandinavian.

OT: i think a renewed "Kalmar" union would be very beneficial both socially, economically and culturally. Our countries international profiles would certainly get a great boost. Just recently(December-January 2012-13) i was traveling through South America with a short stop in Miami, Florida. The sheer amount of ignorant guesses to where Denmark was located, along with the various attempts at guessing our capital was astounding. from Chevrolet to Vienna to IKEA(seriously) ect. Guesses at the location were equally inaccurate, from middle of and coast(wtf!?) of Germany to the middle of the north pole, or Russian province(i guess that was directed at the Finns mostly :p)

A "united kingdom of Scandinavia" or federal union would be beneficial for all of our countries, the cultural profile that Sweden has overseas, along with the Norwegian oilfields and the danish(Copenhagen) connection hub to the mainland of Europe, would indeed create a much stronger state. A state with considerable muscle to actually influence the EUs decisions and possible monetary independence(i am thinking in regards to the danish crown piggy backing on the German economy for almost 40 years since the first oil crisis in the 70's)

we are 3 very small countries as it is , 9.5 5.5 and 5 million united we would be around 20million citizens... you know the size of actual countries, and if the Finns want to join in the number would be even greater, however both linguistically, politically they are very far from the rest of us. United we would be the wealthiest country in the EU and on of the wealthiest in the world in regards to GDP per capita and one of the highest in regards to purchasing power. Besides Japan we would be the most successful homogeneous country in the world. It would finally justify the danish arrogance and obsessiveness over self accomplishments, its a textbook case of napoleon complex.

Hell Malmø and Copenhagen are practically inseparable as it is, and we get more of our share of weekend visitors from both Norway and Sweden. Finally union might actually give us a chance at winning a football championship fairly... you know without filling in for a country that left the tournament because of civil war

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Paradoxrifts said:
Guffe said:
If you're not from Scandinavia, WHY DID YOU COMER HERE!!??! ;)
We're looking for longboats of mass-destruction.
you are too late!!

The damned english took our long boats and most of our other boats regardless of shape, back in the mid 1800's