Poll: Sell me on (or warn me about) Guild Wars

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
linkblade91 said:
I dont know much about Guild Wars, I actually came in here for some opinions on it. But you mentioned Champions of Norrath, and I love that game, so that makes you awesome.

airwolfe591

Dec 11, 2009
I've played maybe 15 to 20 hours of guild wars 2 and I can easily say it is one of the best MMOs I've played, and I've tried a few that have eventually left me unimpressed.

Everything that they've changed that's a standard in MMOs is great. I love the combat as it's a lot more engaging than just standing there, going through a skill rotation and rolling die. You have to move around, you can dodge incoming attacks, the combo system makes keeping an eye on your skills and other players ability key. I haven't gotten too deep into it yet, as my highest level is 12 so far, but from what I can tell from this point is it'll keep me interested for the long run.

The changes they did to questing is amazing. I've gotten caught up in the dynamic quests and a random mob of players, which still made the quest, or dynamic event, still challenging, but I easily found myself, at level 4, in a zone for level 9+, and being able to handle it because of the group and getting rewarded for it! Not having partied with anyone, which is just awesome to me. I hated MMOs which separated players when questing because you didn't want someone to steal your kill, in Guild Wars 2 I'm excited to see other players, even if I play alone.

The lack of a healing class, meaning all classes have some form of heal and anyone can heal a downed or defeated player is fantastic, not having to wait for a specific character class to pick you up and seeing 2-3+ people helping you back up in the middle of a difficult event just makes me feel that this is what a true MMO should be.

All of the classes have clear distinction from each other, so if you wanted to play a different class. The races, lore and world it self are wonderfully crafted.

There's so much more I could go on about, but overall I highly suggest it.

Edit: I also play a Guardian, I originally just went to try the class out but I found it surprisingly fun, though I think of my Ranger as my main, I only play that with my wife whenever we can get on together, making the Guardian my highest level lol.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
I've played GW1 to death, around 11k hours logged over the life time. However, I would strongly caution against getting it simply because the population is for all intents and purposes dead.

There's a catch 22 where it's fully soloable once you unlock your NPC henchmen and enough skills accross your account to terrorize everything with, unfortunately it'll take you at least 2 months to get to that point and you will get no support. The only good active players keep to themselves thanks to the heavy instancing, and it's such a heavily skill/deck based game that the majority of people trying it out will either be too dense to grasp it or give up before they do.

Essentially, it's dead, and GW2 made it even deader.

It might work if you convince your friend to get it and you both stick to it, but keep in mind, it's not traditional, but it's still an MMO, it'll be weeks before you become decent, and months before you become good enough to get worthwhile achievements unlocked that will produce GW2 (cosmetic) benefits.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Xin Baixiang said:
Is it enforced PvP, or is there PvP-free Care Bear PvE servers too?
The PVP world and the PVE world are completely different. As in there is Zone 1 where everyone is friends and Zone 2 where everyone is a cannibal, hungry and angry. And in order to get to Zone 2 you have to go to Zone 1.5 where you then enter Zone 2.

Ganath said:
If you have the money to burn and you don't feel it would hurt your wallet at all, then hell, go for it. I seriously doubt it's a horrible game. Doubt it's an amazing game though, but maybe I'll be proven wrong in 1 month.
You know that once it is bought you can access everything in the game through the free in-game currency and you don't have to pay monthly.

Or you could just check out all the reviews, overviews and past coverages for the past two months that pretty much highlight why everyone is enjoying it.

It did what Fusion Fall failed to do, make a game that everyone can enjoy. Want to run around willy-nilly trying to stop things from happening, well you can. Want to platform? Well you can. Want to kill your fellow man then you also can. Want to become a stock-broker and literally sit around making a monopoly on weapons, well you can.

I recommend it to everyone, since it can be for everyone. Its honestly a lot of fun and is worth every cent spent. Especially since the game doesn't have a monthly fee.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
Xin Baixiang said:
Is it enforced PvP, or is there PvP-free Care Bear PvE servers too?
Every server is PvE until you hit the "take me to PvP zone" button...

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
Pretty much echoing what other people have said - the first and second don't have a lot in common except the lore and lack of subscription. Would not recommend starting the first now, but you won't lose anything by not playing it.

In you like Action RPGs, you'll like this. Each class has a varied play style, but they all feel fluid making the combat both exciting and tactical. Meanwhile, the leveling progression quickly gives you a lot of customization while still having plenty for later on.
As for the MMO stuff, one thing that is great about this is how much you can co-operate with other players without saying anything - much of the teamwork comes naturally.

Ganath

Jan 24, 2011
Aprilgold said:
Ganath said:
If you have the money to burn and you don't feel it would hurt your wallet at all, then hell, go for it. I seriously doubt it's a horrible game. Doubt it's an amazing game though, but maybe I'll be proven wrong in 1 month.
You know that once it is bought you can access everything in the game through the free in-game currency and you don't have to pay monthly.

Or you could just check out all the reviews, overviews and past coverages for the past two months that pretty much highlight why everyone is enjoying it.
1) I do know that, but while I might not have financial issues, other people might. Some people have to be selective about their games, even if they "only" cost 50 Euros or whatnot. Others just plain don't want to waste money until they're certain they'll get their worth out of something.

2) I once again state that the game has also seen plenty of hype. What I'm doing now by waiting a month is to see what my friends think of the game once some time has passed since release. I don't know anyone who has played in any beta events as far as I know, though I know a few people who bought the game. No harm is going to come from waiting to see if they get bored quickly or keep playing.

Besides that, I really wish I had more time, but with Mists coming around the corner, I'm pretty sure I'll have to be quite selective about what I want to play. That and I could've been more clear. By people, I didn't mean reviewers or strangers. I meant people whose opinions I actually think matter. Such as friends and family. At least, those matter to me.

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
airwolfe591 said:
Edit: I also play a Guardian, I originally just went to try the class out but I found it surprisingly fun, though I think of my Ranger as my main, I only play that with my wife whenever we can get on together, making the Guardian my highest level lol.
Although the quiz lined me up philosophically with the Guardian, I have concerns about their play-style that I wanted to ask you about. The combat videos on GW2's website were mostly defensive in nature, reflective shields and the like.

As a "the best defense is a good offense"-kind of guy, I don't like to be so heavily defensive. I'm no Leroy Jenkins barbarian; in fact, with that example, I'm more akin to the strategist guy setting the whole thing up, no doubt one of the first (if not the first) to be killed when some dolt (Leroy) ruins the plan. I'm usually either the spellcaster blowing the door down, or the warrior right behind the barbarian, making small-talk with the enemy about how face and mace rhyme and thus are destined to be together.

So I was wondering just how the Guardian played:

Is s/he A: a Stalwart Defender type, one of the last to fall by working to keep the team (and him/herself) intact?
Is s/he B: a Holy Avenger type, a paladin smiting their foes with righteous fury?

Or perhaps both? I greatly prefer the second or third option ;)

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
The only MMO I've ever really been big on was Diablo 2. I do have a couple friends who got really into Guild War (or I think that's what it was) for like two weeks. I think one of them made a character who was spec'd into running, and did pretty well.

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
LetalisK said:
Oh, okay. Well, now it makes sense to me. Seemed a little out of character for them, but now it makes more sense if you can also use in-game currency.
Everything in the cash shop can be bought with gold. You just trade gold for gems, and buy the items you want.
I wasn't aware of this. Kudos to you, bud.

Now, as for the OP.

- Have you played Guild Wars? Yep
- Did you like it? How much so? The first one was pretty good, but not exactly for me.
- Should I get Guild Wars 2? Definitely. No one's lying to you with "it's not your average MMO."
- Is it worth going back and getting the first title? If you really get into it, I suppose, but again, the first one wasn't really my cup of tea.
- Should I convince my RL friend to get it with me? Sure, why not? As with most MMOs, having a buddy makes it more enjoyable. On the flip side, it isn't exactly required, because most of the time you'd want someone at your side (dynamic events and such) there'll be people there.

So, in short: Yea, pick it up. It's great fun, easy to get into, and has some nifty mechanics that make it stand out from the rest.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but one thing I'm going to miss from Guild Wars 1 is collecting skills. That was really fun and rewarding, and got me to mix up my style all the time.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
linkblade91 said:
So I was wondering just how the Guardian played:

Is s/he A: a Stalwart Defender type, one of the last to fall by working to keep the team (and him/herself) intact?
Is s/he B: a Holy Avenger type, a paladin smiting their foes with righteous fury?

Or perhaps both? I greatly prefer the second or third option ;)
Definitely both. pretty much all the classes can play in many different styles, though some better than others.

you can be the mace/shield guy that goes toe-to-toe and slams down protective walls/bubbles, you can be the greatsword guy that leaps into battle, whirlwinds through a mob and flings his sword, or you can be the scepter/torch guy that's all about control, immobilizing enemies and setting them on fire.

or more

there are lots of ways to play each class and even those builds can vary a lot based on how you trait your character.

--

beyond the mechanics though.. if you enjoy exploring a beautifully crafted world: gw2 is worth trying out.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Just to be clear, I'm a fan of GW2 so I could be abit bias :p

Have you played Guild Wars?
Yes

Did you like it? How much so?
ALOT. The reasons why I rarely on here on my free times is those "time" are now spend playing on that game especially when I am playing all 5 characters at once! (That's the amount of character slots you get). Granted I was bored alot before GW2 because of my game shortage drought.

Should I get Guild Wars 2?
Yes but if you're not fully convince then I just suggest that you wait a while for either waiting for the price to drop or when they release a free trail version. The only thing you're risking with that is time (like if you do like it in the end, you only regret it for not buying it sooner).

Is it worth going back and getting the first title?
Unless you want to get an idea of the lore than no. Guild Wars is different than what it used to be since currently the game is rarely about co-op as people used heroes (npc you own) and it's fall of farmers. Trying to play the game to complete the story will be difficult and it will take a while to get those rewards that are carry over to Guild Wars 2.
If you still want to read the stories and its history, than read it online.

Should I convince my RL friend to get it with me?
Up to you.

Goenitz

Jul 22, 2008
linkblade91 said:
So now that I've talked your ear off, let's get to the heart of the matter with my question(s):

- Have you played Guild Wars?
- Did you like it? How much so?
- Should I get Guild Wars 2?
- Is it worth going back and getting the first title?
- Should I convince my RL friend to get it with me?
-Yes, for many years. Fond memories.
-Absolutely, it got right many things that current MMO's were getting wrong. I think this can be said again for GW2.
-Of course, for a skimp $60, you can get in on the ground floor. You dont NEED to buy anything from the cash shop, ever. (With the exceptions of expansions, when they come out.)
-At this point, no....probably not. Not very much carries over, and all the lore can be read up on in 5 minutes. However, it is still a fantastic PvP experience, so do your thing.
-Sure, I have. It adds to the enjoyment when you can call up your buddy and get them to come in game and help you, or vice-versa. Also, its nice to talk to someone that is interested in the same thing you are.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Ganath said:
Aprilgold said:
Ganath said:

1) I do know that, but while I might not have financial issues, other people might. Some people have to be selective about their games, even if they "only" cost 50 Euros or whatnot. Others just plain don't want to waste money until they're certain they'll get their worth out of something.

2) I once again state that the game has also seen plenty of hype. What I'm doing now by waiting a month is to see what my friends think of the game once some time has passed since release. I don't know anyone who has played in any beta events as far as I know, though I know a few people who bought the game. No harm is going to come from waiting to see if they get bored quickly or keep playing.

Besides that, I really wish I had more time, but with Mists coming around the corner, I'm pretty sure I'll have to be quite selective about what I want to play. That and I could've been more clear. By people, I didn't mean reviewers or strangers. I meant people whose opinions I actually think matter. Such as friends and family. At least, those matter to me.
1) Understood, but in the long run your saving money.

2) There is hype for everything ever made in the history of ever. You want to know what hype is? Its advertising and advertising forever has been effecting people's expectations and thoughts on something. However humans are not a fucking hive-mind which is why I said exactly that. You should check all the pre-press coverage, beta-weekend-event coverage and finally everyone's analysis since the early release.

Lack of background checking is not a excuse for you to wait a month on something when it takes five minutes to understand why people like it from a thousand or more perspectives.

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
linkblade91 said:
- Have you played Guild Wars?
- Did you like it? How much so?
- Should I get Guild Wars 2?
- Is it worth going back and getting the first title?
- Should I convince my RL friend to get it with me?
I have played Guild Wars 1, and while I did enjoy it, I discovered it too late and all the good guilds had either left or just kept to themselves. However I have a friend who was heavily involved in guilds like Rebel Rising, Edible Granite Pencil (top guilds) and he enjoyed the game a lot. I would have aswell but unfortunately the PVP scene was kind of dead when I bought it.

Guild Wars 2 I absolutely love. The PvE is some of the best that I have ever partaked in, and the sPvp and WvW is amazingly fun to play. I was also in the first beta tests to be done, and was always anxiously awaiting the next BWE's.

Yes, the game is very good, even if u aren't interested in PvP, the PvE is top notch, and the Wvw will tide you over for any PvP.
If you wanted to, however im almost 100% sure that you would be restricted to PvE as the PvP and GvG scene died a while ago.

It is always good to play a game with someone you know. I am currently playing with the friends I mentioned earlier, and it is very helpful having 2 people to do some of the PvP, aswell as some of the PvE action. It's also helpful to have someone to work with for jumping puzzles and some trickier stuff.

So yes, as someone who played GW1 and was in the GW2 beta, I highly recommend the game.

Edit: forgot to finish one of my sentences lol.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
SFMB said:
Well, it's a MMO, so I would not recommend it to anyone. If you go for it, it will die in matter of months and you return to your World of Warcraft disillusioned.
What a well researched insight, if not for the fact that guild wars still has an active playerbase after it's been around for god knows how long, and the fact that there are no subscription fees, and unless you don't want to exchange ingame currency for gems to buy extra shit off of their "cash" store, you never have to spend another dime on it. Means that it will always have a playerbase of some sort or another, also, I got bored of wow a looooong time ago, and yet, even playing this game rather obsessively since it came out, it's still interesting to me, with wow even with friends of mine prompting me to go back to it the longest it has ever held my attention is like... 4 days, and I always felt it was a waste of money to play... guild wars, has a better combat system, the way skills work, the fact that every weapon does different kinds of things for every class who can wield it, things like the fact that exploration and crafting aren't just tacked on, and reward you with sizeable ammounts of experience, and for another example, when you explore an area of the world, 100%, you get a chest of goodies, this includes towns, and all areas, also, jumping puzzles, and interesting logic puzzles are a part of gameplay in certain areas for getting hidden treasures, and sometimes finding a point of interest on your map.

But yeah buddy, you did good at inciting a degree of agitation, but only in the way of "Why is this guy making such a broad generalization based on an overarching genre, obviously without having any tangeable information or presenting any proof of any statistic that could apply to this specific game, a game excecuted in such a way as to be both accessable AND challenging rather than just spoon feeding you with pablum til you puke, like wow, or 90% of the other MMORPGs on the market.

And now you know, a little research and maybe a comment that showed any level of information behind it, and didn't look like you were being negative just for the sake of negativity, may have given me a reason to think that maybe you did research and thought before spouting such innane drivel.

Even if you were trolling, I do say, I've seen better attemps that weren't even intentional, you may want to get some more practise.

Good day sir.