Poll: Service Rifles

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
I'm a big fan of the Tavor and voted for it (I WILL own one damnit!), but I'm a little iffy on my choice because it simply hasn't been in service long enough to have a service record. Everything I've seen for the AUG is that it's a tough fucking gun (I've heard claims of being able to still use it after it's been run over by a tank, but I somehow doubt that.).

The M4/M16 have a long history of being good rifles (if you keep them clean), and after shooting AR-15s, they're comfortable and easy to handle.

Anyways, TAR-21. Just need to get to where I can afford the $3,000 price tag. On the plus side, it'll have free shipping...

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
The new Tavor TAR-21 is a hell of a gun. My only gripes are that it's chambered for 5.56x45mm, and it uses those awful STANAG magazines. Aside from those two factors, it's easily the best gun up there.

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
Ak-47 for me. On a side note, the M4 is US standard military issue rifle. The M16 is being phased out.

Sgt Doom

Jan 30, 2009
Slaanax said:
Ak-47 for me. On a side note, the M4 is US standard military issue rifle. The M16 is being phased out.
No no no. Please, if you know nothing about the subject at hand, don't pretend you do.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Slaanax said:
Bullshit, no brass has ever proposed replacing the M-16 with the M-4, the M-4 is far closer to replacement than the M-16.

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
Sgt Doom said:
Slaanax said:
No no no. Please, if you know nothing about the subject at hand, don't pretend you do.
Lol, except I dunno I was in the army and the took our M16 and gave us M4s.

Sgt Doom

Jan 30, 2009
Slaanax said:
Sgt Doom said:
Slaanax said:
Rank, occupation and posting?

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
F88 Austeyr...

Light, compact, resilient, multi-role (with interchangeable barrels), and an ambidextrous design.

[http://img18.imageshack.us/i/20081028adf820802238105.jpg/]

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
Sgt Doom said:
Slaanax said:
Sgt Doom said:
Slaanax said:
E-4 52D 128TH BSB out of PA National Guard. I was in Balad, Iraq in 2005. We had m16 when I was sent over seas, but about 2 years ago before I got out we recieved M4's and they took our m16. The unit we trained with was issued the m4.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
I gotta give love to Israel since their is all you want from a long rifle in a compact size for urban encounters.

Desaari

Feb 24, 2009
My vote is either for the TAR-21 or L85A2. The bullpup design allows for a longer barrel and yet a shorter overall weapon, providing more mobility, greater accuracy, and greater penetrative power. The AUG is too ugly for me to consider.
The M16A4 is also a fantastic (and under-rated) rifle but for some reason it isn't in this poll.

I'm casting my vote for the L85A2 though simply because the TAR-21 isn't a standard service rifle, and hasn't been around long enough to evaluate fairly. It also won't become the standard service rifle as the X-95 has been selected as the IDF's "future assault rifle", plus the TAR-21 remains an incredibly expensive weapon.

Sgt Doom

Jan 30, 2009
Slaanax said:
Sgt Doom said:
Slaanax said:
Sgt Doom said:
Slaanax said:
E-4 52D 128TH BSB out of PA National Guard. I was in Balad, Iraq in 2005. We had m16 when I was sent over seas, but about 2 years ago before I got out we recieved M4's and they took our m16. The unit we trained with was issued the m4.
Makes sense they'd issue POGs with M-4s, no need for a full-length rifle in non-frontline roles (although to say there is a frontline in Iraq would be something of a misnomer)

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
Sgt Doom said:
Slaanax said:
Sgt Doom said:
Slaanax said:
Sgt Doom said:
Slaanax said:
Makes sense they'd issue POGs with M-4s, no need for a full-length rifle in non-frontline roles (although to say there is a frontline in Iraq would be something of a misnomer)
Maybe it was in state goal to replace all of our m16 with m4s.

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
the tavor the Israelis spend a huge amount of money on their army and if they use it you know its good shit

SpecklePattern

May 5, 2010
Anoctris said:
SpecklePattern said:
Tyburn Cross said:
As for "Best" service rifle though, I would have to opt-in the AK series. Not because it is particularly accurate, but because its reliability, power, and affordability make it more cost effective to give to the average soldier.
That RK (basicly rip-off from AK) of ours is quite accurate. Well I don't have that much experience of that many rifles but I like accuracy in shooting. How much more accurate is AUG or M4 compared to AK? All I am saying that usually it is about the shooter and how familiar the gun is to the shooter. Usually rifles are made quite accurate. Well that is usually somewhat the point of having/making rifles ;-)
The F-88, with the 1.5x integral scope, I could group 20 rounds under 100mm average at 100m. EDIT: That's at the range though, no pressure. I'm told it's a bit different on a each way range.

Effective to 300m individually, 350m effective section firepower.
Hmmm. I have only done 10 rounders on one clip max (not my choice) but your shooting is not that bad. Well to shoot accurately. I have spammed lots of weapons :). Still I think that is not all about the gun :) 7.62mm can be effective to longer ranges than the 5.56mm but the trajectory for the heavier is more bent. But that doesn't actually matter.

And it is. We practiced in military with many ranges. One test (we always shot that to practice or to take the score) was:

12 shots total. First, 2 rounds on 3 clips, distance 150m, lain down. One clip shot to targets that are shown 5 seconds. One clip on targets that are shown 3 seconds. One clip to one target that is shown 5 seconds. Second, three rounds on one clip and shot on one's knees(, no time limit on this one if I recall right). Last 3 rounds were shot standing from 50m.

On that, after half an year, I could easily make all within that 100mm with only the raw sight of the gun... I miss my service weapon :-(

Sadly I am just a poor graduated guy now, but when my salaries starts to kick in, I will totally buy me some weapons to start practicing my most certainly rusted sharp shooting skills ;-)

Ps. AUG has always been on my shopping list. From the first day I saw that funky weapon :)

Sgt Doom

Jan 30, 2009
Slaanax said:
Sgt Doom said:
Slaanax said:
Sgt Doom said:
Slaanax said:
Sgt Doom said:
Slaanax said:
Maybe it was in state goal to replace all of our m16 with m4s.
Mind providing a source for that?