Poll: Service Rifles

Penguinness

May 25, 2010
I like the M4, but the TAR is a good weapon. It's meant to have the damage ability of the AK with the range of the M4. Add that to it's slightly more compact body and it's an ideal weapon for more close combat and going round corners as well as range.

TaintedDev

Mar 10, 2010
I am going with the Hk-416 it is insanely reliable and can stay accurate in what seemed like full auto. You can't really say that about many rifles espicially the AK which has a large recoil and is more so used in modern operations by insurgents as Spray and Pray. However that does not mean it cannot be accurate in the proper hands.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
I like the Steyr AUG. It looks badass, and I've heard it's pretty effective in it's job.

Sorry, I have minimal knowledge of military machinery.

gh0ti

Apr 10, 2008
TestECull said:
Stopping power of the 7.62x39MM is quite good. I won't need more than one or two hits to put someone down.
I don't think that's right. The high velocity of large (but relatively lightweight) bullets like a 7.62 means that they often don't have the stopping power of a smaller round like the 5.56 NATO, which is part of the reason why NATO adopted a smaller cartridge. Also part of the reason why when the Russians came to redesign the AK to create the '74 they produced their own smaller cartridge to go with it. What won over the Americans in Vietnam was the discovery that their smaller, slower rounds caused horrific injury due to the way they tumbled after entering a body, while AK bullets are more likely to whiz right through and cause much less damage.

Of course, at longer range, the large bullets are more damaging, because the smaller ones haven't the powder to carry them at high velocity. But most modern small arms fighting takes place at relatively close range, where the smaller rounds are more effective.

Add to that that the western rifles carry an accurate burst option, and they're definitely the ones packing the heavier punch. And sure, the AK's got reliability, but so has a stick with a pointy end...

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
Anoctris said:
I also heard that the first L85's were shit, but that the variants since the first lot are alot better.
They had a number of issues including distortion of the scope in high heat and grips that broke off!

Rumour has it that the only reason the British forces went for the the original SA80 was to keep Royal Ordinance in business. It was a fucking disaster. The newer version is much much better. I love the design, apparently it's much easier to use indoors when clearing houses than any of the M16/M4 variants.

swolf

May 3, 2010
Nueemann said:
Well, I was looking at a number of different rifles and I decided to ask you all the question, which one do you think is best?

Personally, I think they are all great weapons, but I would vote for the G36.

Also, the country listed is where the rifle is from, not necessarily the country that uses it.

Here are the rifles in the order they're listed on the poll.

G36

C7

HK-416

M4

Steyr AUG

L85

TAR-21
Hey, I found this video hilarious and thought you might like it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TLhY4irvDM It's kinda smart@$$ but amusing.

Apr 29, 2010
Man, way to give the M-4 an unfair advantage by using a picture of one with a grenade launcher mounted on it.[sub]Just kidding.[/sub]

Although I've never fired any of these guns(I would like to), I'd have to say it's a tie between the G36 and the H&K-416.

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
As I have no experience with weapons, nor any substantial knowledge, I'm just going to say that the TAR-21 looks cool.

Nueemann

Jul 14, 2010
I will admit I should've put the AK on there, since most people would've voted for it.

I also never said that these rifles were Standard Issue, some countries have MORE than one service rifle.

SpecklePattern said:

Wiki [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rk_62][/spoiler]It was my service weapon, here in Finland. So I would take that. I am so familiar with using it.[/QUOTE]
I wonder how the Winter War would've went if these existed back then.... But the Russians would've had AKs too. Ah, well, we'll never know.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
The AR-15 series would be my weapon class of choice:
M-16, M-4, Bushmaster ACR's, and tons of other variants...

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
the Thompson its made in the USA (I dont know how to place pictures)I just like its design
or the Automatov Kalasjnikof model 1947 (AK47) due to it being pretty much indistructable if I had to choose I would personaly go for the tommygun

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Damn you for making me choose between an M4 and an AUG...

I like the AUG more, but I have to give a mention to the French FAMAS

Nueemann

Jul 14, 2010
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Damn you for making me choose between an M4 and an AUG...

I like the AUG more, but I have to give a mention to the French FAMAS

That's another one that should've gone on the poll. Like I said though, there was only 8 spaces.

strongbow1075

May 26, 2010
The M14 in my personal opinion based upon the effectiveness of the 7.62 nato round also the accuracy at longer range of the M14

zerzxes

Apr 14, 2009
Grouchy Imp said:

Heckler & Koch G3 from Germany. It's officially an assault rifle, but uses 7.62mm ammunition for that extra kick...
Not excatly this one, but the Norwegian produced AG3 is definatly my favorite.

AlexGoBoom

Jul 11, 2010
Cody211282 said:
I have a soft spot for the M1 Garand

I have 2 at home.
I knew i wasn't the only one, but in terms of modern rifles i'd go with the AR-15 mostly because i have used it for something beside hunting