Poll: Sextus Reviews: Mirror's Edge PC

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
[HEADING=2]Mirror's Edge[/HEADING]

Mirror's Edge was developed by DICE and released on the PS3 and 360 in 2008, in January 2009, it was ported to Windows. Its story revolves around a group of "runners" -- a bunch of people who deliver packages to other runners, and sfor some reason the Government doesn't want these packages delivered, so they send up units of heavily armed policemen to deal with different runners.

One key aspect that really lifts the game up in my opinion, is the level design. Yes, the game is very difficult at times - but never frustrating... The game is simply a lot of trial and errors, so before you play you MUST realise that you ARE going to die, and you'll do it at LEAST 200 times before the game is over. The levels are crafted well, and each new level has incremental difficulty which utilises a perfect advance in difficulty. Levels are fun to work through, and can be really fun if you're playing with mates (no co-op though, I mean taking in turns) as it can often be fun to laugh at each other as you fall to your bloody death, or a train knocks all your teeth out.
[HEADING=2]
Conclusion
[/HEADING]

I guess it's time to wrap this up... Mirror's Edge is a hard game to explain, it's a whole lot different than many of the other games that have been coming out recently, and it's a fresh change from military-gray first person shooters. When you first play it, it's like a cold glass of orange juice on a hot day, after an hour - it starts to feel like someone's force feeding you oranges, after a few hours you feel as if somebody is drowning you in oranges... and you realise... the oranges are poisonous with too much bloom, bad combat and mediocre parkour moves. But it's still worth a look, if only to toy around with the great physics engine used in the game.

[HEADING=1]***[/HEADING]

If sunlight and good physics appeals to you, this game is worth a look. But it can get fairly boring at points, and the flow of the game is broken easily.
Games: [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.187537-Sextus-first-review-Halo-3-A-little-late-on-the-chopping-block"]Halo 3[/a], [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.195850-Sextus-Reviews-Mass-Effect-2-PC"]Mass Effect 2[/a]

OrdinaryGuy

Oct 19, 2009
Pretty good review. I had most of the same thoughts while playing the game. While I didn't have a problem with the controls (once I got used to them), I thought the combat was all but worthless. It was cool at first, at least until you are forced into encounters that break the very definition of "free-running."

It's a shame too, the game had so much potential. Hopefully Mirror's Edge 2 will fix the glaring problems that plagued the original.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Well, that was a very good review. The humour in the conclusion is what really sold the review to me though.The review is succinct and to the point. That does maybe leave a little room for extra information on some areas, but overall very well laid out and written.

Edit- Just read in a different thread that you are 13, which makes the writing style all the more impressive.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
razer17 said:
Well, that was a very good review. The humour in the conclusion is what really sold the review to me though.The review is succinct and to the point. That does maybe leave a little room for extra information on some areas, but overall very well laid out and written.

Edit- Just read in a different thread that you are 13, which makes the writing style all the more impressive.
Appreciated, thank you.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
tghm1801 said:
You kind of contradicted yourself there - you said that
SextusMaximus said:
[the cartoony graphics styles used during cutscenes are] a HUGE flow breaker in the game, and while it doesn't signficantly break flow
which was a bit silly.
Like the formatting though.
Aha! Must re-read through my reviews a few times before posting, thanks for pointing that out.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Well hello there...

I'm a fan of the Domble-esque formatting but do remember that putting things in quote boxes does have problems associated with it. One thing is that the alice blue background the Escapist uses is a lot easier on the eye so people are more likely to read the whole of your review; a feat I did not quite manage.

Writing wise there are a few things such as "The gameplay in this game is interesting... the best way to describe it is experimental" I really don't like this line. You describe the game as interesting but then make the first half of the sentence invalid with the second half. It would work much better if you wrote something along the lines of "The gameplay in Mirror's Edge is definitely interesting, but really the best way to describe it is as experimental"

Also, for a full game like this you need to make more points! One or two for each extended paragraph and I only count 3 normal sized paragraphs in the actual review. Oh and there are rather too many pictures for a review of this length, two would have been a lot better. To add to this you do seem to overuse the caps lock. Now I know this is down to preference but I much prefer putting things I want to emphasise in italics as it is more subtle but still gets the point across.

Anyway, remember this is all in the name of constructive criticism. I really look forward to seeing how you fair in your next one.

-Keep 'em coming.