Poll: Sexual content in games

Bigfootman

Apr 15, 2009
Altorin said:
Because america was founded by puritans, and those social taboos run really really really deep.
Then you REALLY don't know America's founding fathers, XD. Hell, Benjamin Franklin was womanizing atheist...

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
I love how its considered FAR more appropiate to see a man getting blown to peices then it is to see him naked. Yes, our society is fucked up.

Nov 11, 2008
I just want it in moneration, Slightly used and very controled, It ruines the gameing experiance with sex everywhere. And gets to much hype

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
US prudishness is a big reason why even completely non-sexual nudity is absent from games.

But the other reason is that people, male teens above others, are afraid of feelings. Feelings are not something you can take in casually, zoned out on your couch with a controller. How many times have you seen "I love you", or anything like it, in a game dialogue? Without a base of feelings (even if it's just lust) there is no sex.

Sanaj

Mar 20, 2009
RemSaverem said:
It's the american mentality. Historically, we're more okay with Violence and less ok with sex, Europeans are more okay with sex, less ok with violence.
Frankly, I'm sick of being able to blow the hell out of people with increasingly graphic depictions of the results, but not being able to see mature sexual relationships (or even mature romantic relationships) represented in my games.
Video games can barely get away with what they show in most daytime TV. That's just wrong. We need to break away from the "games are for kids" mentality.
I think another important factor is because the gaming industry isn't as well established
as the movie or music industries it's easier to target.

Sure some games are made for kids but many aren't.
If you go back near the beginning of the history of video games say to the time of the Commodore 64...

There were games that targeted a wide variety of people and age groupings.
It was possible to create more adult oriented games then what can be done today.
These were games that included much more direct and implicit sexual content...
(Most of the sexual content was poorly done but it still sets a precedent.)

This topic reminds me of a recent RetroforceGO! podcast topic, so here's the recap page.
http://www.destructoid.com/retroforce-recap-so-what-about-those-dirty-games-now--138420.phtml

Woem

May 28, 2009
A random person said:
shophius said:
As long as it's consenting ;)
But rape is the new dead parents [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RapeIsTheNewDeadParents]!
Hm that could get really weird really quick. With pen & paper rpgs a lot of gamers tend to go with the "orcs killed my parents and now I'm off to revenge them", preferably with their father's sword. So now it would be "orcs raped my parents which explains why I'm playing a half-orc and, euh, wait...". It does include a nice dual heritage story arc. You know, the whole "my heart is divided, as is my blood" thing.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
If it fits in, yea, sure. Nothing wrong with sex.
Halfbreed13 said:
Dragon Age and Mass Effect pull it off respectively and tastefully. I do however get annoyed with games like ASS BLASTER 25!!!111!11 where the game suffers for sex.
Well, gotta say that Mass Effect's romance was definatly written by someone who never had a girl/boyfriend in his/her life. It was hilariously fail, if you ask me, so fail it became really cute. Can't judge about Dragon Age though.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
If it fits into the story then yea, it's good. If it's been tacked on to sell then that just puts me off the game.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
If it furthers the story, or at least a sub-plot, then it's okay. If it's presented in a "heh heh bewbs" way, then it's just crap.

Cuniculus

May 29, 2009
People aren't being "desensitized" to sexuality or violence because of games... we used to burn witches at the stake in town square...

Could you really make the argument that games now are more violent then that? I think not.

People now just can't make the decision that most of us make... the "I don't do that, but people should be able to make the choice." decision.

I.E. Abortion: No, I wouldn't do it. Although, people should have the choice. Or, Gay Marriage, no, I'm not gay, but people should have the choice to get married to a member of the same sex if they want.

People now make the "I don't play these games, and I don't shoot people in the face... so GAMES where you SHOOT PEOPLE IN THE FACE are bad." assumption.

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
If it fits in, I see no reason why it shouldn't be acceptable. Of course, that won't stop things like the Fox News Mass Effect debacle from happening.

[zonking great]

Aug 20, 2008
More the better! I can already yank people's heads off, eat their hearts or blow them up with anything anybody ever came up with, but the moment I can hand out Cleveland Steamers, Dirty Sanchezes or Donkey Punches in my game, I'm happy.

Edit: I also rememeber the OH MY GOD ALIEN SEX in MAss Effect dealie. And having recently played it, I went "That's it?". Then I remembered the people making a fuss about it were FREAKING AMERICANS. IF you want to be hysterically puritan, fine. But don't push it on others.

Scarecrow38

Apr 17, 2008
I said sure if it fit's in. But I don't think it ever really fits in. Even Mass Effect seemed like it was really pushing it sometimes. Games don't need sex to create emotions between characters.

[zonking great]

Aug 20, 2008
Scarecrow38 said:
I said sure if it fit's in. But I don't think it ever really fits in. Even Mass Effect seemed like it was really pushing it sometimes. Games don't need sex to create emotions between characters.
Pushing it? Two sex scenes? One of which was implied by a Titanic-esque hand sliding down a window, the other naked kissing? The outrage outrages me more than the thing itself. And I am not outraged by that at all. I was fine with it. Giggity.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
If it fits into the story then yea, it's good. If it's been tacked on to sell then that just puts me off the game.
Basically this. The issue depends on the context when it comes to things like sex in games. If it goes well with the game then yeah, I'm all for it, but if it is just there to gather a larger audience or even sometimes just for the hell of it then I don't really like that.

Also, I have never seen (extreme) violence, drug use and prostitution in games unless they've been rated 18, and even then they sometimes gat complained at. Remember the "violent videogames influencing teen violence" craze?

Dr Mango

Diabolic Fruit PhD
Jul 2, 2009
I'm sick of this 'Gaming is a second class art form' shite. People that don't even play games judge them and condemn the people who play them. It's about time the games industry got left alone to do it's own thing without pressure groups bearing down on them whenever games show a bit of flesh.