Poll: Should "Black Friday" price reductions be outlawed?

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Well, another year, another round of Thanksgiving being pushed into our faces (Since apparently every english-speaking website is based in the US...) Ha, no, I kid, enjoy your holiday!

But there's something disturbing that follows: Black Friday, which I'm given to understand is essentially a massive public brawl under the guise of a shopping spree.

Every year we hear horror stories of children being trampled, the elderly being trampled, people being tazed, as well as overzealous police officers and security, and all in the name of a few dollar off a video game or television. As someone observing this from the outside in, it seems like less of a "one day sale" than a "bloody mess".

I ask you this: Should stores be banned from lowering prices/declaring such extravagant sales on Black Friday? This is not an ideal solution, and there are several other ideas that can be implemented, of course. The "Boxing Day" sales of my own country tend to have just as many bottom-dollar bargains and huge crowds as Black Friday, but Stores have long-since learned to try to control crowds, rather than let them scrum and fight for limited-stock items. As a result, we don't have story-after-story of shopping-gone-wrong horror.

Another alternative is to expand the sales period from beyond a mere day, as well as increasing stock within stores to meet demand (or at least alleviate pressure). This would give shoppers much less reason to FIGHT for items, as well as spread huge crowds out over several days, rather than all within hours. It would also most likely increase store profits, as people will be less rushed to get a few particular items, and probably end up buying more.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, yours?

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
If stores want to have massive price reductions, let them, rabid bargain hunting is a sport for idiots and an amusing one at that. Just enjoy the show.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Honestly, the stories are exaggerated and hyped-up to no end because US media have nothing better to report on the second slowest news day of the year to Christmas. I have never seen, much less taken part in, a Black Friday rush anywhere near the level in those reports, and I don't know anyone who has.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
No, companies can do whatever sales they wish, this is one issue that is places squarely on the consumer.

Individuals (or small groups) who can't be civil because of a sale that occurs every year need to be punished accordingly. Why should everyone lose out on big sales because of the actions of less than %1 of the populous?

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
No. It's not Black Friday that's causing people to be dips, its people.

Having more Crowd Control / Security will help solve some of the problems. Granted all the "Person dies due to Black Friday!" shit is very small.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
I'd say no, but if they really want to keep them, they need some element of security in and around those stores. Cops have to be around to make sure no one tries to pepper-spray anyone or tramples over anyone.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
As far as I can tell, Black Friday only really takes place in America. Never even heard of one, let alone seen one, here in the UK.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Two incidents nationwide are not indicative of the behavior of most people, or even the behavior of most Black Friday shoppers. Arrest and prosecute those who hurt others, and let everyone else learn from their example.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Nope. If a store wants to risk it, let them. I'll just sit at home and watch the fireworks on my laptop. It's so entertaining.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
As a Brit who has never experienced Black Friday for myself, I'm going with everything I see, hear and read about it I voted: "No, but there should be much more carefully regulated crowd control"

I would to love to grab a TV and other crap for next to nothing, but I'd want it done properly and safely, I don't fancy being trampled on for one!

Makon

Jul 9, 2008
Coming from a guy who has both worked (2 years at Gamestop) and participated in Black-Friday rushes and midnight launches: That shit just ain't worth it. Instead, I take the more sane and sensible approach and use Amazon Prime to buy my stuff at blowout prices and have it shipped free 2nd day air to my house.

I have a lot of shit showing up tomorrow and Wednesday...

Iggy Rufflebar

Mar 26, 2008
...... should a time when everything is ridiculously cheap be banned? no you silly fool!

People just need to stop being so dumb. it's a time to showcase what humanity is really like.

There's something cheap over there I MUST KILL EVERYONE IN MY PATH TO THIS.

Actually... sounds like a dynasty warriors game.. a very boring video game set in an american shopping complex.. but hey.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
Meh, the price reductions are one thing.

Stores trying to open at 10pm on Thanksgiving night...that's gotta be outlawed (and in some states, including my own, it is.)

Romblen

Oct 10, 2009
The stories are often exaggerated and far and few between. Black Friday, while it is chaotic, is rarely violent. Take that from a guy who worked at the world's busiest Walmart on black friday. Yes, there are nutty people who will go to extremes, but the overwhelming majority are just regular people looking for cheap items.