Poll: Should I buy Terraria?

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
Should I buy it. I mean I have been on the fence of whether to buy it or not, to clarify I am a big fan of minecraft but that is my main worry is that Terraria will feel TOO familiar. I know about the NPCs but that doesn't really sell it for me. There was a crafting guide and I remember reading this sentence. "Remember to build a workbench... a door which will cost you 6 wood" which immediately made me think of minecraft. So should I buy it?

Tax_Document

Mar 13, 2011
It's nothing like Minecraft, in Minecraft there is no sense of danger, no massive monsters, just you and some over-rated suicide shrubs which don't even HIT me.

Terraria is much better, from bosses to building, exploration to fortification, there is so much more, your cities aren't pointless either, people move in and your city grows.

So get it, and chuck Minecraft out.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
Honestly, find a review or a couple of some sort, if they bring up things that would affect your being-on-fence-ness make your decision based on that. It's a 2D platformer (I think), are you into those? It's more combat oriented, does that interest you? These are the question you should be asking yourself, not other people.

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
Wuggy said:
Honestly, find a review or a couple of some sort, if they bring up things that would affect your being-on-fence-ness make your decision based on that. It's a 2D platformer (I think), are you into those? It's more combat oriented, does that interest you? These are the question you should be asking yourself, not other people.
Well I just want a sort of generally opinion and how people are finding it.

Argonian alchemist

Master-level alchemist
May 5, 2011
Tax_Document said:
It's nothing like Minecraft, in Minecraft there is no sense of danger, no massive monsters, just you and some over-rated suicide shrubs which don't even HIT me.

Terraria is much better, from bosses to building, exploration to fortification, there is so much more, your cities aren't pointless either, people move in and your city grows.

So get it, and chuck Minecraft out.
My thoughts exactly, bravo.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Normally I'm not one of those searchbar assholes but this exact thread is already on the main page. Really?

Really?

To answer your question though, you should. It's pretty great.

Akiada

Apr 7, 2010
To compare the two, Minecraft, due to being 3-D, is a game much more about the mining, the exploration and the crafting. It's more satisfying to wandering around a 3-D (if blocky) world and build these massive mega-structures.

But Minecraft really doesn't have a lot more to it than that. The combat is kind of pants. There are no boss monsters, no real interesting fights, there is no real end-game.

Terraria is the opposite. The 2-D nature makes building less fun because you can't do as much (though making a tree-house like in the latest trailer is pretty cool, as is building sky-forts that can only be reached using a bed (to set spawn) and a "return to spawn" mirror) and the exploration consists of "run left" or "run right."

But holy goddamn is the combat so much more fun. Instead of tiered swords and a bow (ala minecraft) there's a whole bunch of stuff. Armor sets with varied bonuses (including one with high defense that has a set-bonus that makes you even more protected. Another with a set-bonus of magic regen, and so on), swords, flails, bows, muskets, pistols, high-speed rifles, laser guns, magic books/flowers/wands/sceptres. And three boss fights as well as dungeons and so on.

They share some similarities, but in the end they're wholly different in focus. Minecraft is good if you like to make things and occasionally be threatened by horrible monsters.

Terraria is good if you like to take the fight to the horrible monsters with a bit of building or mining here or there to acquire resources or build new avenues of attack/defense.

So, yeah, Terraria is worth a try (and it's only 10 dollars). My only beef with it, really, is that once you've maxed your HP and mana, collected virtually every item and killed everything, there's not of a hell of a lot to do.

But, hey, I got 24 hours of mad fun out of a 10 dollar game. That's more than you get out of most 60-dollar ones.

maximusw00t

Feb 14, 2011
Yes, Buying it will only set you back ten bucks, but you get pretty much the same deal you did with MC alpha. Ive gotten as much or more fun out of Terraria as I have Minecraft and maybe even more. I cant really tell you reasons to buy it other than that as i bought it on a whim, but i havn't been unsatisfied with my purchase at all.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
To compare Minecraft and Terraria is like comparing Doom to Super Metroid.

I bought the game yesterday and subsequently spent pretty much the rest of the day playing it. It's more focused on exploring and fighting enemies/bosses than it is towards building.

I'd say it's definitely worth a buy.

Om Nom Nom

Feb 13, 2010
Yes, get it.

To sum it up quickly: it's what you would get if you fused a 2D action-rpg platformer (such as one of the Castlevania games) with Minecraft. It is MUCH faster paced and arcade-like, and has a fair bit of tailored content, but lacks an infinite world (although you can make them very damn large -- not recommended as you'd take longer to find things, start with a Small).

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
I was on the fence, and then I watched a lets play of the alpha version made by the creators of the game, which got me excited enough to buy it, best use of $10 in a while, I love the game to no end, I mean come on, it has a gun that is half shark, half gun! Whats not to love?!

Jester00

Sep 22, 2010
i play minecraft to build awesome stuff and terraria to bash awesome monsters. it's different. it's fun. buy it.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Where is the "definitive maybe" option?

I got both. Both are fun. Both can be played in COOP.

Minecraft is funnier for the construction/exploration aspect.
Its more polished since its a bit older.
The wiki is very clear and explicit.

Terraria is funnier for the combat and variety of combat options and general eye-candy. But it still has many kinks and it needs to be less opaque about its content (the wiki is "meh");

- exploration is a chore ( i never found a "deep jungle" or "floating island" by my own merit so far.)
- i only found one light spell in nearly 30 hours of play time. going down deep and being forced to die to go back up quickly is getting on my nerves.
- you will often get stuck wondering how-to-progress-past-this-point and trying to figre out how to uppgrade your stuff (will likely require LOTS of several rare ressource to get started)
- a boss can insta-kill you. Wich is a really cheap shot.
- Fire imps are as annoying as creepers are explosive about their personal space isssues.

Arctarus'sCookie

May 9, 2011
I bought it and liked it. The only thing I wish they had changed was that its only 2d. My friends always make gigantic houses so I try to find a good place to build and left or right just isn't working for me. The combat is way batter though. Weapons, items, magics all of that stuff in there.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Twad said:
Where is the "definitive maybe" option?
Because its a 'Yes or No question'. Regardless you already answer whether he should or shouldn't buy it.

Kikyoo

Apr 16, 2008
Even after you've "Beaten" Terraria you still have a good minecraft like game, only with more monsters, and boss monsters in it. Honestly for me running around with friends, and just fighting the hoards of monsters, or exploreing stuff for giggles is still very fun for me. I loved minecraft but the biggest reason it gets proped up more is it can reset you back to the bottom of the barrel at any time.

Terraria doesn't have the freedom of 3D building, or exploring, and can get really easy once you have the better weapons and armor, but it's STILL a lot of fun, IMO it makes a much much better co-op game than Mine craft does. Even playing it alone I've enjoyed Terraria a lot more than Mine craft.

This game is a huge value at 10$ even if you don't play it as much as minecraft i had a lot more fun while playing it than I did with minecraft.

Valdus

Apr 7, 2011
I say buy it. It's pretty cheap so it require that much play time to really get your money's worth out of it.

Samcanuck

Nov 26, 2009
connall said:
Should I buy it.

In my opinion, it is a solid and addicting game. Harder beginning challenge; but thats a good thing. For such a monotinous act of digging down, you get a real sense of joy from finding the rarest of ores, caves and rare chests that make the game much easier and enjoyable. And as you progress the infrequent events that can happen (like a huge army of goblins attacking, and random meteor dropping) become more frequent as you close in on the best gear.

For ten bucks, this game will keep you going until Elder Scrolls or something great on the horizon comes alone.