Poll: Should I get Rift or WOW?

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
WoW, the two are basically the same anyway so you may as well go with the one that has the most players and the best Developer.

Unless you happen to be a member of the "MAYNSTREEM GAYMS R EVUL!!1!" crowd of course.

Evil Top Hat

May 21, 2011
I've played both.

RIFT is basically just WoW, but with better graphics, a better game engine, more features and a much more interesting world. WoW is 6 years old, and by god it shows.

I actually don't play mmos anymore, but if I had to get back into them, I wouldn't even consider WoW.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
RIFT: Cheap ripoff of Fantasy MMO's (Mostly WoW and the Warhammer MMO) with higher graphics req's but (imo) worse overall graphics and nothing driving as far as storyline (if you're into that) or any interesting quests. I gave RIFT the chance and it disappointed.

WoW: Still overall the best MMO as far as playability goes. Anyone can pick it up and enjoy it. There's a lot of different styles you can choose and leveling 1-60 basically can be a single player campaign if you want it that way, though 61-80 does skew slightly since they didn't update that content with Cataclysm and you can tell its an older style of play. 80-85 picks back up and is pretty fun. Now, depending on the realm you choose (PvE, PvP, or the RP version of both) you will have to contend with some major elitists if you decide to do instances. Not all the time, but a lot of assjacks play WoW and think because they might know their class inside and out it makes them better than everyone else playing and thus talk down to those who don't hit some nebulous damage number (not talking about raiding or heroics, don't get me started there). All in all, you will have to deal with: Trolls in Trade Chat. Possible Chuck Norris jokes or Anal jokes (you'll see) from 12 year old mentalities who think racism is king of comedy. Generalizing there but you get the gist. There are a lot of good people who play WoW though, and /ignore is your friend. Also don't ever EVER buy gold.

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
Tehlanna TPX said:
Oh but I have.Which is why I find it weird.Illidan made an amazing transition from "Oh Tyrande my lurv" to "You are not prepared".And Kael'Thas had a really thin story written to him after the events in War3.Working for the legion obviously corrupted them too much.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I played World of Warcraft since it was released back in 2004 and I can say from experience that is the best MMO I have ever played.

Blizzard took their "inspiration" from the older MMO's which were available then(Everquest etc)and used their best bits and worked 5 years on the game.Of course it was a hit and still is high on top and most played MMO's.Graphics which are very old isn't a big issue for WoW,since people relate to it from Warcraft 3.

Rift on the other hand,I have tried it after playing 3 Beta's and I can literally say that it was WoW under a different cover(story/looks of races/professions).The only extra things that rift has compared to wow is 2011 graphics/the public quests(rifts) implemented from Warhammer 40k and the multitude of speccing talents(souls).You have around 40 possible soul builds that you can switch around.I think this is one of the best things from Rift.

Rift requires a more powerful computer than WoW to run,mainly due to the graphics.If you want an easy start you should go with WoW.

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
With only a month, you will not be able to make a complete dent in Wow in quests or lore. Go with Rift you may have a chance of getting to end game.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
TriggerHappyAngel said:
WoW or Rift...?
- Guild Wars of course.
as far as games you have to pay for; what he said.

though, you said you're only playing something for a month, so in reality, why don't you just pick any old f2p and just go with that so you don't waste your money? RoM's the best f2p, basicly as close to WoW was f2p's get, i'd suggest that one.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I'm happy playing Guild Wars and I'd recommend Guild Wars instead of WoW or Rift, but to answer you original question... hmmm...

I'd go with World of Warcraft. I haven't played WoW since the Burning Crusade days and recently Blizzard gave me a free week to play (hook me) again and I liked what I saw.

The starting zones were drastically changed with the Cataclysm and they are a lot much better now, each zone has it's own story arch with it's own characters. I was just bursting in laughter when I reached Azshara, at the north of Orgrimmar. It was already a low level zone for me, but I just couldn't stop doing the quests that zone had to offer. You'll fall in love with the goblins and their shennanigans. Riding mechs while killing elves, talking to an intelligent raptor, saving goblins on a beach, Private Ryan style, making a tower explode and then escape just seconds before it explodes.

I was seriously considering into returning to WoW, but there was only 1 gripe that reminded me why I stopped playing in the first place, the money. Right now, I just can't afford to pay $15 a month, but if I had the money, I'd gladly return to WoW. At least until Guild Wars 2 comes out.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
WoW has a 10 day trial that gives you enough time to try leveling areas, early dungeons and 14 or 19 Bgs. No reason not to try it.

Also, there is a very good reason WoW dominates the market.

Tehlanna TPX

Mar 23, 2010
SecretNegative said:
Tehlanna TPX said:
I'm going to guess you didn't play Warcraft 3 to be wondering how/why Kael and Illidan are baddies.
Wut?

NOTHING in Warcraft 3 implied that Illidan would be a megalomaniac, whore-fucking, idiotic, generic Evil Guy. Neither did it imply anything simpilar for Kael. And yes, I've played through the whole comapin about four times.

And no, "fel magic makes you evil" is a retconn.
If you say so. And you just did, so obviously you do. But I don't agree /shrug. No biggie. Was just curious.

Tehlanna TPX

Mar 23, 2010
Hristo Tzonkov said:
Tehlanna TPX said:
Oh but I have.Which is why I find it weird.Illidan made an amazing transition from "Oh Tyrande my lurv" to "You are not prepared".And Kael'Thas had a really thin story written to him after the events in War3.Working for the legion obviously corrupted them too much.
I didn't find it a leap at all. Odd how one person can nod their head to something and another can completely not get it. Nothing wrong with either.. I think it's interpretation and preference. Thanks for answering :)

LionHartXIII

Jun 26, 2011
Well, personally I don't like either of them I am more of a FPS kind of guy. But if I had to choose one or the other, than I would have to say go fro WOW its a critically acclaimed game and has won so many game of the year awards. And its actually fun to play there alot of things to do you will have more missions than you know what to do with. But I hope you are prepared to become a pale hermit because this game will suck you in for hours. I never could get suck in to this game though, but most of my friends have lost a lot of time in there live that they will never get back (and frankly sometimes could use a bath or sunlight). at least these are the people I know not all WOW players are pale freaky hermits.

Greatjusticeman

May 29, 2011
I'd play WoW over Rift.

But I'd only play WoW until The Old Republic comes out, which should be out already by the end of this year.

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
Tehlanna TPX said:
Hristo Tzonkov said:
Tehlanna TPX said:
I didn't find it a leap at all. Odd how one person can nod their head to something and another can completely not get it. Nothing wrong with either.. I think it's interpretation and preference. Thanks for answering :)
I still think it's bad story writing but you aren't going out of your way to enforce your opinion so I'll respect you.Damn these forums are great these days.

kingdomheartsguy44

Oct 15, 2010
Id recommend WoW. Its been there longer and Rift just seems bland and uninspired. Wow has more places to go, dungeons to do and better,more in depth PvP.
Tho you'll have to buy 3 exp. to get full content. If you don't want to go through that wait for GW2.(also WoW has more racial variety and cooler looking environments)
alot of people who leave wow for rift end up leaving rift.
Rifts in rift get boring really quick as well.:/

thirion1850

Aug 13, 2008
You should get none and just wait for one of the releases in November. For now, why don't you try the free TF2, Global Agenda, Vindictus, one of the many mods that you can get with TF2, Spiral Knights, LoL and the 273219847912 WoW clones that usually have most of the game free anyways.

Seriously, WoW just isn't worth it at this point. Lots of better, just as fun gaming options out there. The reason WoW gets a pass on this is because it's an old vet, nostalgia and an overblown consumer base/marketing.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Rift is more graphically impressive and offers much deeper character customization for how you want to play. The actual "Rifts" make for an enjoyable side-thing to do and can break up the tedium of quest grinding. There's also a ton of little side quests like collecting items and other achievements to farm up for titles and bonuses. The game is still growing and I for one have hopes for it.

WoW can be played on an Apple II and has very restricted character development; In most cases there is 1 "right" way to build your character and doing any variation from that will make you a noob and no one will group with you. There are very few "side" activities to engage in except PVPing or raiding at the high end. The game is completely level-capcentric and the other 95% of the game exists purely to get you there. However, the game is much larger and more immersive since the world is actually developed. But, a lot of the world is wasted space that you will never see due to it being out dated. Also, WoW has an utterly miserable and obnoxious fan-base which is why most people resent it so.