Poll: Should Link be female in the next Lengend Of Zelda

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
JimB said:
Veldt Falsetto said:
Hell why not make Mario black and Princess Peach an overly camp white guy and give Super Mario Bros. some inherently gay and racial diversity? Because it would be stupid and meaningless!
Okay. So please explain to me why it is not stupid and meaningless for Mario to be Caucasian and for Peach to be female.
Why would you change it though? It's fine whatever colour, gender, sexual orientation Mario is... My point is you shouldn't change Link or Mario or any existing character just to "add diversity" to the game. If you want to make a platformer with a black gay guy rescuing his white camp love interest that just so happens to be called Princess then go for it but there's no need to change Mario from short, fat italian guy to short fat black guy and there's no need to change Link into a girl, why not just make an action/adventure similar to Zelda and just make it about a girl instead of a guy. Hell the whole "generations and bloodlines" thing Zelda has going on, why not make it a Link relation who happens to be female, thing is she isn't just Link with boobs...she needs her own personality just like Link does

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
undeadsuitor said:
Veldt Falsetto said:
Yeah but Lindsey isn't "playing" Link, she's just dressed up as Link. Never seen this, but its the same costume she uses for her Zelda Violin Medley video where again, she isn't Link, she's just dressed as Link.
Yes, but considering what a blank slate Link is, what's the difference between dressing as him, and being him? As long as you're heroic, perseverant, and love to break pots, you are enough Link to be Link.
Link isn't a blank slate though is he? No silent protagonist is. The best silent protagonists like Link and Gordon Freeman do have their own personalities that you expand upon. You make out like Link has no actions, he may not speak but it's sure obvious that Link has his own mind and is not just a blank Elder Scrolls character for you to build

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Veldt Falsetto said:
Why would you change it, though?
Fair enough, on the Mario count. I disagree as far as Link goes, but I don't much feel like repeating myself, so if you want to see why, you can scan up through my posts here. If not, don't worry, you're probably not missing anything.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
JimB said:
Veldt Falsetto said:
Why would you change it, though?
Fair enough, on the Mario count. I disagree as far as Link goes, but I don't much feel like repeating myself, so if you want to see why, you can scan up through my posts here. If not, don't worry, you're probably not missing anything.
Honestly there's a ton of posts here and I can't be bothered to go through them all to find you, I'm sure it was logical and meaningful stuff.

To me Link is as iconic as Mario, maybe more so. Link to me has his own personality and sure a female protagonist in the series would be great, I just don't think it would add anything.

I've no problem if they wanna use the Link's bloodline argument and give Link a female relation that inherits the Hero of Time blood or whatever but she would essentially have to have a completely different personality and if that was the case why not go for a completely new franchise, with a new art style that could perhaps surpass the Zelda name and be an icon for female gamers just as Link is for male gamers.

I guess I'd want a new IP with a strong iconic female character than changing the gender of an already established and loved character just because.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
Quite frankly that would be like making a tomb raider game witha guy, or master chief as a chick, etc.

there are some things in gaming you just should not do

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
undeadsuitor said:
Veldt Falsetto said:
I've no problem if they wanna use the Link's bloodline argument and give Link a female relation that inherits the Hero of Time blood or whatever but she would essentially have to have a completely different personality and if that was the case why not go for a completely new franchise, with a new art style that could perhaps surpass the Zelda name and be an icon for female gamers just as Link is for male gamers.

I guess I'd want a new IP with a strong iconic female character than changing the gender of an already established and loved character just because.

"Introduce a new IP"?

You...do live in the 21st century right? The century where the economy and publisher mindsets are so toxic to new IP's that developers have to hide new IPs in old IP's to get publisher money. And games with female protagonists get 40% of the ad budget [http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/games-with-female-heroes-dont-sell-because-publishers-dont-support-them] that ones with male leads do.

So basically, what you're saying is that a female main character "isn't good enough" to even be related to Link (in a series of games that has a protagonist so bland that we've been playing different people through the entire series and didn't even notice)
In reply to the first point a list of NEW INTELLECTUAL PROPERTIES from the 7th generation of consoles (so Wii, 360 and Ps3) that have sold well despite being new and not linked to any previous properties

Boom Blox, Conduit, de Blob, Dead Rising, Dead Space, Endless Ocean, Just Dance, The Last Story, Little King's Story, No More Heroes, Pandora's Tower, Red Steel, Trauma Centre, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Xenoblade Chronicles, Alpha Protocol, Angry Birds, Army of Two, Assassin's Creed, Asura's Wrath, Bayonetta, Binary Domain, Bioshock, Borderlands, Brutal Legend, Bulletstorm, Catherine, Condemned, Crackdown, Crysis, Dark Souls, Darksiders, Dead Island, Dishonored, Dragon Age, Dragon's Dogma, Enslaved, Eternal Sonata, F.E.A.R, Gears of War, Just Cause,Kameo: Elements of Power, Left 4 Dead, Lollipop Chainsaw, Lost Odyssey, Lost Planet, Mass Effect, Metro, Mirror's Edge, Ninety Nine Nights, Overlord, Portal, Prey, Prototype, Rocksmith, Saint's Row, Shadows of the Damned, Skate, Sleeping Dogs, Spec Ops: The Line, The Darkness, Vanquish, Viva Pinata, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Heavenly Sword, Heavy rain, Infamous, ModNation Racers, MotorStorm, Resistance, Siren, Sniper: Ghost Warrior, Uncharted, Valkyria Chronicles, WET, White Knight Chronicles.

Do you recognise some of the names here? You should, most of these are NEW IPs for THIS GEN and have gone on to be the biggest selling games of the generation even shadowing the sales of some classic titles..point proven there I think.

Second female characters don't sell games. So a list of every game with a female lead on the box art or a female lead that sold well, I admit that this list will be smaller than the last one but still it SHOULD be sufficient enough.

Alice: Madness Returns, Another Code R, Assassin's Creed III: Liberation, however many Atelier games there are, Bayonetta, Catherine, Cooking Mama, Deathsmiles, Eternal Sonata, Fatal Frame, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Gravity Rush, Harvest Moons, Heavenly Sword, Heavy Rain, Kameo: Elements of Power, Tomb Raider games, Lollipop Chainsaw, Magna Carta 2, gonna say Mass Effect 3, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Metroid Other M, Mirror's Edge, Perfect Dark 0, Portal, The 3rd Birthday, Valkyria Chronicles, WET.

That's still a lot for something that apparently makes people not want to play the games. Some of these got great ad budget, especially Final Fantasy and Heavy Rain

As for the last thing that's not what I said at all, I said I wouldn't mind the female being related to Link, what I don't want them to do is just give him boobs or something because that's what they would do. They would have to change the character design drastically because as much as people joke...Link doesn't look like a girl, not really. On top of that, he really isn't bland, he's pretty much the same character in each game...just they're different settings, ages, times whatever, doesn't mean his character isn't the same. Silent protagonists that WORK still need strong identities, which is what makes Link and Gordon Freeman so iconic, if they didn't have characters of their own no one would care about them.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Biodeamon said:
Quite frankly that would be like making a tomb raider game witha guy, or master chief as a chick, etc.

there are some things in gaming you just should not do
Tomb Raider with a guy = Uncharted

Halo with a chick = Halo Reach (you could pick to play as a Female Spartan).

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
Regardless of the gender of Link in the next Zelda game, it won't bother me. I will accept whatever choice they make, I do not think it is very likely however, interesting as it would be.

Tingle

Apr 5, 2013
I say no because it would be odd to old time gamers. The Zelda concept is good in fact there could be a game that is co-op and second could be zelda and it could have a 3-d.s. sync to add tingle as a helper like in wind waker. Also a non-canon or canon side story with zelda as main would definitely get good reviews.

Sep 14, 2009
i wouldn't mind a game based around zelda (that is good and true to how the series generally plays)

but i'd like having links daughter (granddaughter preferably, so it would make link old enough that he couldn't be considered any action roles) be the main hero, where she hears about all these tales of her (grand)father but never got to see him in action, because the world was in piece for *set number of years* it'd give her curiosity to what was so special about her family, .......until *plot confliction! the hero of time's bloodline is needed!*

not saying i'd be against gender bending link, just would prefer link to "move on" and have the female protagonist be her own thing, so she can shine in her own way.

Moonlight Butterfly said:
mew4ever23 said:
Ignoring the fact that it's tradition, I really don't think a genderswapped link would make a lot of difference.
I know right? :/

I always thought the reason the Zelda series was popular with women is that it's not really hard to think of the main character as female. His features are androgynous and he doesn't speak. There isn't really any direct romance. Ocarina of Time would still make sense if you changed Link to female. All you would have to do to make him look 'more' female is change the hips and chest of an older Link.

Watching this I don't find it jarring (lol) that Link is played by a woman.

Also check out all the extra accessories that she doesn't have.
rule #89

never post a lindsey sterling video in a sexism thread, she is fucking too damn gorgeous to be used for logic.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
No... that'd be retarded. Adding boobs to a strong male character in order to make a strong female character... that's the quickest way to get people NOT to take you seriously. Here's a much better idea: Introduce a new female character who is every bit as capable as Link. She can be Gerudo, and she can be out there trying to beat up Ganondorf for being so evil and ruining her once noble tribe. And not the stupid "silly girl trying to get revenge on the clearly stronger male" type of quest... more the "best in the secret sect of Gerudo women that wish to rid their clans of his filth... and also chosen by destiny" type of quest. She could be bad-ass enough to be given the Master Sword and then not use it because she's trained with dual daggers.

Oh, better yet! She could get some dwarven smiths to smash that damn sword apart and use the metal to reforge her daggers. All the sages can't believe she would, or even could, do such a thing, but she's just that practical: "What? I don't use SWORDS... c'mon, I bet destiny doesn't care about the fine details, anyway."

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Maybe they can let the player pick whether they prefer to play as female or male Link. Like with Persona 3 Portable.
So much fighting over nothing. Women and some men like to play as women, nothing's wrong with that.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
Well if guys are okay with female Link looking like her then that's cool with me. :) She looks very heroic to me.

And excellent gif of Puddin' :p

I feel like I posted in this thread ages ago?

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
Pebkio said:
No... that'd be retarded. Adding boobs to a strong male character in order to make a strong female character... that's the quickest way to get people NOT to take you seriously. Here's a much better idea: Introduce a new female character who is every bit as capable as Link. She can be Gerudo, and she can be out there trying to beat up Ganondorf for being so evil and ruining her once noble tribe. And not the stupid "silly girl trying to get revenge on the clearly stronger male" type of quest... more the "best in the secret sect of Gerudo women that wish to rid their clans of his filth... and also chosen by destiny" type of quest. She could be bad-ass enough to be given the Master Sword and then not use it because she's trained with dual daggers.

Oh, better yet! She could get some dwarven smiths to smash that damn sword apart and use the metal to reforge her daggers. All the sages can't believe she would, or even could, do such a thing, but she's just that practical: "What? I don't use SWORDS... c'mon, I bet destiny doesn't care about the fine details, anyway."
Yes. This sounds lovely.

I think for me, after mulling it over, it's not so much interest in seeing Link be made female: it's playing a female within the Zelda universe (who is not zelda, because they'd have to do some serious restructuring to make her interesting to me). This idea above would fit perfectly. Or hell, go with Malon. Something. I don't know. I think the main worry is that it would just turn into Link-with-boobs, which isn't compelling to me. Yeah, sure, it doesn't make a big difference -- but doesn't it?

One part of me says 'sounds nifty' but then the other side, the one who adores character driven narratives, asks: aren't we better than that? Shouldn't we be?

. . .or I'm just past my bedtime and need to go to sleep now. :/

edit - oh man, I got tricked into posting in a necro. Now I *know* I need to go to sleep. :|

Sep 14, 2009
Moonlight Butterfly said:
gmaverick019 said:
Well if guys are okay with female Link looking like her then that's cool with me. :) She looks very heroic to me.

And excellent gif of Puddin' :p

I feel like I posted in this thread ages ago?
1) i'd drool if female link looked like her in game (that is depending on art style and whatnot, the zelda series has maintained a somewhat cartoonish look, not that i have a problem with it.), but yes she does look just as heroic as any other hero might be.

2) you did, but then again when you are a normal forum goer on this website, pages you posted on 5 hours ago have already been deleted from your memory cache and been replaced with the latest elitism thread and me3 ending thread XD

Auron

Mar 28, 2009
This would be atrocious, A game with Zelda would make sense, a game with a suddenly female Link? Messing with established characters will just outrage gamers, if you want interesting female leads, ask for new ones or really already female characters that can perfectly play the part.

Furthermore, like Terminate421 said, if someone even suggested Samus needed to be a man sarkessian's army would nuke the internet, are we perhaps applying double standards?