Poll: Should PC joypad users be able to use auto-aim in on-line FPS games?

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
A recent FPS on the PC, initially allowed users with joypads to use auto aim in on-line matches. That option was removed from the game after 'overwhelming response'. Now I don't want to talk about the game involved, I am sure some of you know which one it is. But I don't want to be accused of making another thread about said game.

And in fact I don't want to talk about that game. But as far as I am aware, it was the first game to allow joypad users with auto-aim to compete with mouse and KB users. And it may be the start a trend. It is a fact that there are starting to be more and more players who want to use joypads on PC's to play FPS games. The reason for this I am not sure of and am not desperate to discuss here, though I am sure some will.

So the question. Do people think it is right that joypad users competing with mouse and kb users should be allowed to have auto-aim to help them?

I myself do not think it is right, but would support that joypad users were able to have there own servers where they could have auto-aim enabled, that mouse and KB users could enter at their own risk. But I don't think it is fair that mouse and KB users should be forced to compete with them.

I don't have a problem with people wanting to use a joypad on the PC for any games they want. That is the point of PC gaming, that it allows you to game however you want without Sony, Nintendo etc looking over your shoulder. You can use a steering controller for FPS games for all I care. But I don't think this extends on-line, if 'aids' are need to prop up joypads in comparison to other controller types.

This is not a console bashing thread as it is only about auto aim in multilayer in PC games.

Edit: BTW even I am not a fan of the KB, hence why I use Logitech G13 instead, to give thumbstick control for moment. So joypads don't even have this supposed advantage any more as you can have joypad movement, mouse aiming on the PC now.

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
It's definitely not the first to do so.

I have no problems with it.
I've seen quiet a few games with server options along the lines of "joypad only" or "no joypad".

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
binvjoh said:
It's definitely not the first to do so.

I have no problems with it.
I've seen quiet a few games with server options along the lines of "joypad only" or "no joypad".
What other PC multi-player FPS games have had this?

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I dunno. It would definetly have the elitists up in arms since they wouldn't have their online gaming experience tainted by such inferior players getting unfair cheating mechanisms. /sarcasm

IMO console controls work well on consoles and PC controls work well for PC. I for one would prefer a controller over a mouse and keyboard anyday for any FPS which is why I've been needing to get a controller to play TF2. I can't aim worth my life in that thing with a mouse. I think the auto-aim would help a bit for those who wanted to use controllers but get too extreme and you'll upset the base the game was made for in the first place.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Dunno.

First you would have to ask why someone would buy a huge ridiculous thing that works nowhere near as well as a keyboard and mouse and costs way more.

Humanoid333

Apr 1, 2010
Aim assist, depending on how it's implemented, could or could not put the joypad users at an advantage. No aim assist would lead to joypad users being utterly destroyed by mouse users. I'm tempted to say yes, joypad users should get aim assist, but only a mild form of it.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Most modern console FPS games use a variety of hidden aim augmenting tools to compensate for the fact that the thumbstick on a console is not capable of giving precision aim to the player like a mouse. It's not "Cheating" as it doesn't really result in an advantage to the player, in fact, the player is still disadvantaged by having to use the thumbstick. I see no reason why people who use joysticks on PC shouldn't be offered the same tools.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Humanoid333 said:
Aim assist, depending on how it's implemented, could or could not put the joypad users at an advantage. No aim assist would lead to joypad users being utterly destroyed by mouse users. I'm tempted to say yes, joypad users should get aim assist, but only a mild form of it.
What is a "mild form" of aim assist? I think you're confusing aim assisting with aimbotting.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
No, auto aim should not be a feature of any MP FPS. Gamepad or mouse.

I think a problem is that gamepads tend to have shit sensitivity at their "home" point so it's dificult to make very smooth, small movements. It usually ends up being a "flick" of the thumbstick, so very jerky and imprecise. If we could get some better quality gamepads it would be a lot less of an issue.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
No they shouldn't. They have mice and keyboards. They will get their asses handed to them anyway if they use it so they should just stop being retarded and use the mouse and keyboard as the universe demands!

Humanoid333

Apr 1, 2010
Elamdri said:
Humanoid333 said:
What is a "mild form" of aim assist? I think you're confusing aim assisting with aimbotting.
I may be speaking from ignorance here, so my apologies if I am totally wrong about this, but I think that aim-assist works by moving your aim toward the enemy closest to your crosshair (which does sound like an aimbot, now that you mention it...). So a mild form would be moving your shots toward the target only if your crosshair is already a very small distance from it.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Nope. I've seen a number of controller users saying the controller is just as good as kb/m. They should get the chance to prove it by not needing special assistance.

YawningAngel

Dec 22, 2010
If you choose to handicap yourself by using an inferior means of controlling your character, that's your own lookout. I don't see why the developer should waste time supporting it.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
No. Far too easy to abuse. just use some really really foreign mouse drivers and it will think it's a joypad, and you now receive the best of both worlds.

Besides that, mouse and keyboard is better anyways. Man up and use them!

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Elamdri said:
It's not "Cheating" as it doesn't really result in an advantage to the player, in fact, the player is still disadvantaged by having to use the thumbstick.
It's not cheating on consoles as everyone gets the same benefit as everyone is forced to use the same control method. That is not the same on the PC with the freedom to use different control methods. One control method should not be given aids, just because it could not compete otherwise.

Consoles need auto aim as you have no option to use a mouse. PC's you do, so if you still want to use a joypad then you get fully exposed to how it is in comparison.

Levi93

Oct 26, 2009
Yeah it should be allowed, but why would you want to enable it?
I generally find that I am better with auto aim switched off in FPS games.

But each to their own I suppose...