Poll: Should people wait until they're married to have sex?

ghostrider9876

Aug 5, 2011
I actually waited until marriage to have sex, for religious reasons AND pregnancy/STD reasons.

I think it should be up to the couple to decide that on a case by case basis. It's nobody's right to force their opinions on anyone else. Personally I think it's a very good idea to at least wait until you know the relationship is serious, if not necessarily until marriage, but that's MY opinion. If you want to bang someone after two dates, or wait until your honeymoon, that's up to you.

Michael Logan

Oct 19, 2008
Shark Wrangler said:
DracoSuave said:
Shark Wrangler said:
It is way harder for a guy to get laid than a girl.
Mathematically impossible.

The mean difficulty of attaining sexual congress = D.
The number of sexual unions between men and women = s.
The mean number of couplings per individual of a given gender is C.
The population of a gender is p.

C[sub]male[/sub] = s[sub]male[/sub]/p[sub]male[/sub]
C[sub]female[/sub] = s[sub]female[/sub]/p[sub]female[/sub]

s[sub]male[/sub] = s[sub]female[/sub] = s, thus:

C[sub]male[/sub] = s/p[sub]male[/sub]
C[sub]female[/sub] = s/p[sub]female[/sub]

Mean difficulty is inversely proportional to number of mean couplings so:

D[sub]male[/sub] = p[sub]male[/sub]/xs
D[sub]female[/sub] = p[sub]female[/sub]/xs

where x is the constant of proportionality.

p[sub]male[/sub]/D[sub]male[/sub] = xs
p[sub]female[/sub]/D[sub]female[/sub] = xs

D[sub]male[/sub]/p[sub]male[/sub] = D[sub]female[/sub]/p[sub]female[/sub]

Let z equal the ration of males to females.

D[sub]male[/sub]/p[sub]male[/sub] = zD[sub]female[/sub]/p[sub]male[/sub]

or

D[sub]male[/sub] = zD[sub]female[/sub]

In western society, z is less than 1, as there are more females than males. Therefore

D[sub]male[/sub] < D[sub]female[/sub]

And therefore, males have an easier time getting laid than women.

QED.
Then explain why so many men don't have girlfriends even though they tried. Why so many men are getting close to forty and still have not been laid. Men having to do all the work puts the power in the females hand. The planet your living on is not earth so and putting up some numbers that you copy and pasted don't mean shit.
Easy, they are ugly and/or have a shit personality.

Daffy F

Apr 17, 2009
I don't really think it's a massive issue to be honest, as long as you treat your virginity with respect and don't throw it away at the first opportunity (as I know some people do) then I don't think it matters whether you actually wait until marriage, as long as the moment feels right, and you think your relationship will last beyond the sex.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
bahumat42 said:
your missing out important factors.
Notably that (most of the time) the female of the coupling has the deciding vote. And that its more often men who have to do the flirting, ergo more effort has to be put in to get the initial situation started regardless of intercourse (and while i will admit this is slowly changing, there is still a large bias in who has to do the flirting or make the moves as it were.

And yes I am aware I sentenced and paragraphed that incorrectly, i just got up, my care for such things is quite low.
Outdated sexist nonsense.

A woman who does not garner male attention isn't getting a deciding vote of anything. There are challenges on both sides of the table, and just because one has challenges does not mean the other does not also have their own challenges.

Shark Wrangler said:
Then explain why so many men don't have girlfriends even though they tried. Why so many men are getting close to forty and still have not been laid. Men having to do all the work puts the power in the females hand. The planet your living on is not earth so and putting up some numbers that you copy and pasted don't mean shit.
There are women like that as well. It's not even uncommon.

I would say that has more to do with the difficulty they have as individuals to get laid, rather than the fact they have a penis.

Darkmantle said:
that's a lot of fake math to say
"there are more girls than guys so it's easier for a guy to get laid"

also, there are more woman because there are more elderly woman, as women have a longer average lifespan. so unless guys are expected to be going after really old woman as well, the more women thing is kinda moot. it's pretty even up until that point.
Old women can score some dick too. Why not?

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
My cousins are into a 'no sex until married' religion. The only result seemed to be that they married early and to partners who were within their church. Now I'm not judgmental, (okay fine I really am,) but that seems wrong to me. Why limit your choices? Why rush into marriage? The youngest of the three cousins is a little younger than me and had her first kid last week. Now by all means she is old enough and clear-headed enough to make up her own mind and I'm 100% confident she'll be a great mum... it's just that she recently finished her tertiary education, she had the world in front of her to explore and now she won't have the chance to experience that until way down the line. I'm not saying that's wrong but I am saying it's not a choice I would make.

Marriage is simply a legal contract but it is also a commitment and not one that should be rushed into. Why use a stick-and-carrot to force people to rush into it? There is really no need and considering marriage is an artificial construct and sexual compatibility isn't it's pretty clear to me what should come before the other one.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Shark Wrangler said:
Shit answer that is wrong. That is wrong because ugly females get laid and there is supposed to be someone for everybody right. Ugly to some, might not be ugly to others. A personality can be faked and they might only be an asshole after the deed is done. An answer like yours doesn't really answer any queastion, its just the first thing that popped in your head and you typed it out.
Ugly guys get laid too. Perhaps you're missing the actual point; they're not alone because they're men, they're alone because they're unattractive.

Being a man does not make one unattractive.

Kl4pp5tuhl

Apr 15, 2009
I'm more suprised people would still believe any religion, let alone follow its ancient rules.

Daffy F

Apr 17, 2009
Shark Wrangler said:
To the average male, I believe you should take it when it comes your way. It is way harder for a guy to get laid than a girl. Way to common for a guy to go years without getting any. A girl can do that to, but its usually by her own choosing.
Nah, that's not true. There are tons of girls who don't get laid because they never get hit on, usually because they're quirky and/or unattractive, whereas the same is true of the guys about which you speak. Personally I have had a couple of opportunities to have sex but never have, as I didn't really feel right about it at my young age of 17... Ah well. Maybe next time, who knows.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
DracoSuave said:
Shark Wrangler said:
It is way harder for a guy to get laid than a girl.
Mathematically impossible.

The mean difficulty of attaining sexual congress = D.
The number of sexual unions between men and women = s.
The mean number of couplings per individual of a given gender is C.
The population of a gender is p.

C[sub]male[/sub] = s[sub]male[/sub]/p[sub]male[/sub]
C[sub]female[/sub] = s[sub]female[/sub]/p[sub]female[/sub]

s[sub]male[/sub] = s[sub]female[/sub] = s, thus:

C[sub]male[/sub] = s/p[sub]male[/sub]
C[sub]female[/sub] = s/p[sub]female[/sub]

Mean difficulty is inversely proportional to number of mean couplings so:

D[sub]male[/sub] = p[sub]male[/sub]/xs
D[sub]female[/sub] = p[sub]female[/sub]/xs

where x is the constant of proportionality.

p[sub]male[/sub]/D[sub]male[/sub] = xs
p[sub]female[/sub]/D[sub]female[/sub] = xs

D[sub]male[/sub]/p[sub]male[/sub] = D[sub]female[/sub]/p[sub]female[/sub]

Let z equal the ration of males to females.

D[sub]male[/sub]/p[sub]male[/sub] = zD[sub]female[/sub]/p[sub]male[/sub]

or

D[sub]male[/sub] = zD[sub]female[/sub]

In western society, z is less than 1, as there are more females than males. Therefore

D[sub]male[/sub] < D[sub]female[/sub]

And therefore, males have an easier time getting laid than women.

QED.
I have to ask, because let's face it someone has to but, have you conducted any sort of experiment to prove this theory? if so i think your a bloody genius.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
Personal preference.

If anyone is telling anyone else what to do (if what they're doing isn't hurting others) then they can piss off.

Personally I don't want to be married, I am not a virgin, I'd like to be sexually compatible with someone if I married them and sex is fun and interesting.
If you see differently: good for you.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
It's people's own business, I'm not going to tell people what to do. As long as they don't spread diseases on purpose or something.

Personally, I don't hold any special religious meaning to marriage, but I'm not going to have sex with someone unless I'm seriously considering spending the rest of my life with her.

Which would include marriage (or failing that, civil partnership) down the line.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
I'm going to forgoe the usual Perry Cox clip and simply state that I oppose the concept of marriage in and of itself. Should you at least wait until you have developed meaningful relationship before copulating with that person? I suppose that depends on what kind of importance you personally place on sex, I have no idea what it means to any given individual. As for me personally; no it's just fucking, there's nothing particularly special about that in itself, it can become something special if practiced with someone who deeply care for, but the act itself is merely an exorcise of pleasure.

StarsintheBlood

Oct 12, 2010
Saying that one should wait until marriage for sex is basically saying that for one's life to be complete, they must marry. I strongly disagree. I do not find marriage to be an expected or vital part of a happy life (nor relationships in general but that's beside the point), and I'm not really planning on marrying.

People never marrying is not a big deal. People never having sex in their lives is itself silly to expect- and this is coming from an aesexual. Abstinance is no big deal to me, but to judge people on their sex lives is ridiculous. To call intercourse before marriage unethical/shameful has the unfortunate implications of saying that marriage is necessary to live a full life. It's not. Especially in America, where (judging by divorce rates) marriage doesn't really mean jack.

But as for me personally, I will wait for a serious relationship. But mainly because I have no desire for sex at all (we're talking ZERO appeal), and for me to give it up, he's going to have to be something damn special. But that's just me. Everyone else can do as they please, but I'll be holding out for now.

Daddy Go Bot

Aug 14, 2008
No, because in this day & age you'd have to be quite the idiot to marry. No really, only an idiot would want to marry.