Poll: Should sniper rifles be able to kill people in one bodyshot.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
The funny thing is, 50 cal bullets are capable of tearing people in half. You get hit in the foot and you no longer have that foot.

Theron Julius

Nov 30, 2009
Yes in some cases. It should only be possible, however, with a high caliber rifle. Let's face it, if you get hit pretty much anywhere with a .50 cal bullet, you're down. You could balance it with extremely high recoil and very high weight. Sure you could be one-shotting guys, but you'll be a lot less mobile and you'll only really be able to get a single shot out before they go for cover. Make into a high-risk, high reward sort of thing.

TheTurtleMan

Mar 2, 2010
No because it encourages quickscopers and campers. It also doesn't make sense for video game realism. By that I mean that if it takes half a clip of a machine gun to kill someone in a game, then it should at least take two body shots to kill someone. If games were actually realistic, then everyone would be shot once and die of infection eventually.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
Body shot? A sniper rifle would take someone out if it hit their leg.

A large 50.cal would actually take a persons arm off as the bullet flew past them.

The way you counter the power of these weapons isn't to underpower them, you need to make them cumbersome and you aint even going to try shooting it if you haven't propped it up on a wall or on the ground with the bipod.

That's how sniper rifles should work. Atleast the larger ones.

Smaller semi-auto rifles, just treat them as a heavy assault rifle, 2 body shots is adequate.
This, scopes on larger rifles like 50-cals should have to be set up in a window or while prone, presto, balance.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Furioso said:
Perhaps if they made a hit box for the heart, otherwise I can see how people would have issues with it, though the starting sniper rifle in BF3 is total bull, 3+ body shots to kill someone, no no no no no
A heartshot would be worth much more than a headshot, in my opinion.

But no. From someone who does a lot of sniping, it's easy enough without getting a guaranteed kill from a bodyshot.

Sure it's realistic - my Barret .50 would blow your chest to mincemeat at 1,000 metres - but in a game, it's not fair.

EqualNOpposite

Mar 21, 2010
From a game play perspective, the sniper rifle is supposed to be more effective the further away the target is, to the point where at extreme distances, even the most incompetent marksman can get a few kills.

So, high damage+EXTREMELY unwieldy. Black Ops did this decently by having the most powerful rifles kill in anything but a shot to the lower torso or limbs, but having a very large ADS, horrible hipfire accuracy, and huge draw time. This virtually ensured that using the weapon at close range was next to worthless, but attacking a sniper head on at a distance was tantamount to suicide.

Which it should be; the correct method of dealing with a sniper is never to assault him head on. You either counter-snipe, blow him out of his roost with explosives/artillery, or flank him.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
It doesn't apply for everything, but I have a simple rule. If it requires some kind of action between shots (pulling a bolt back, nocking another arrow, pumping it, etc) then it should be OHK in normal circumstances. Semi auto snipers should take 2-3 body shots, though.

NBSRDan

Aug 15, 2009
Snipers should not kill in one shot even at a weak point. It is extremely annoying to walk across a battlefield thinking you are alone and then suddenly die with no chance to retaliate.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
A body shot with a .50 cal bullet made for armor piercing doesn't kill your target in one hit = theres something wrong with your bullets.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
No. One "bodyshot" should not kill in one hit. I think TF2 has this system perfected. If you are scoped for a certain amount of time, the power of the shot increases. While this may not be the best solution for some, it works most of the time. This way it can prevent quick-scoping at the very least. The range of the target influencing the shot damage might also be another way of doing this.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
NBSRDan said:
Snipers should not kill in one shot even at a weak point. It is extremely annoying to walk across a battlefield thinking you are alone and then suddenly die with no chance to retaliate.
The key phrase there being 'walk across' - don't be out standing in an open battlefield. Evade, use cover or sneak but if you get dropped for poking around like a turkey that's your own fault, and not necessarily a sniper target.

Sep 14, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Nope.
Just makes people start quickscoping/camping quicker.
roughly this.

plus it's disgusting infuriating to get shot in the lower leg and killed in one shot (especially by the annoying ass piss rifle in tf2)

but then again, it depends game to game..but more then likely no.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Not in games.

Snipers are meant to be precision, skill based weapons. If you can just pick it up and shoot people wherever and have it kill them, it gets rid of them as a specialized thing. Which I think is lame.

Headshots all the way, man.

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
I think games would need to include more realistic waver (going by Killer7 terms because I forgot other terms for it). As in, moving faster than 0 makes you extremely inaccurate except for very close range. When running it's pretty much impossible.

superstringz

Jul 6, 2010
In a realistic game, with a .50 cal rifle, yes, 1HK BS. In a game more focused on fun and balance, no.
There are server side mods for most games, so really its up to the host.

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
NBSRDan said:
What do you mean by weak point?

Ithera

Apr 4, 2010
Very few people can take a shot from a sniper rifle and remain standing, see no reason why it should be different in games. Contemporary sniper doctrine recommends wounding the enemy, so that he puts a strain on his comrades.