Poll: Should Sonic go back to 2d?

BUG.exe

Mar 11, 2009
joystickjunki3 said:
Thunderhorse said:
joystickjunki3 said:
Thunderhorse said:
Yeah, but he won't. You need to give it up. Everyone does. Sonic is dead. Someone moron has skinned his corpse, and has proceeded to act out a series of humiliations in order to tarnish his name. Stop buying into it. All his good games(The ones for the genesis) are already out. We dont need anymore.
Are you implying that there are no other good Sonic games?
Post Sonic and Knuckles? Absolutely.
Did you ever play Sonic Pocket Adventure, or any of the Sonic Advance series? How about Sonic Rush? In addition, Sonic Adventure and SA2 weren't bad, I thought they were good actually.

Not that I'm completely deriding your taste in games, but it just seems like everybody is so eager to just sideline a game character who really isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be. The hatred seems to be the worst when people haven't even played the game in question; it's all very Fox News-ish.
we are talking about the console games or more specifically the 3d ones. the 2d ones are good because that's how sonic made his glory. after sonic adventure 2 there has not been a great 3d sonic game and its been a long time since that release on the GCN much less the dreamcast. sure you can enjoy them, but that doesn't make them good. i enjoyed sonic heroes but it was a bad game and i can admit that.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
BUG.exe said:
joystickjunki3 said:
Thunderhorse said:
joystickjunki3 said:
Thunderhorse said:
Yeah, but he won't. You need to give it up. Everyone does. Sonic is dead. Someone moron has skinned his corpse, and has proceeded to act out a series of humiliations in order to tarnish his name. Stop buying into it. All his good games(The ones for the genesis) are already out. We dont need anymore.
Did you ever play Sonic Pocket Adventure, or any of the Sonic Advance series? How about Sonic Rush? In addition, Sonic Adventure and SA2 weren't bad, I thought they were good actually.

Not that I'm completely deriding your taste in games, but it just seems like everybody is so eager to just sideline a game character who really isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be. The hatred seems to be the worst when people haven't even played the game in question; it's all very Fox News-ish.
we are talking about the console games or more specifically the 3d ones. the 2d ones are good because that's how sonic made his glory. after sonic adventure 2 there has not been a great 3d sonic game and its been a long time since that release on the GCN much less the dreamcast. sure you can enjoy them, but that doesn't make them good. i enjoyed sonic heroes but it was a bad game and i can admit that.
I never said that we weren't. I was just trying to correct what Thunderhorse said, which was that every Sonic game after Sonic & Knuckles sucked. And I will defend Sonic Unleashed if need be. I truly liked the daytime levels; they were worth the mediocre-to-average nighttime levels.

samsprinkle

Jun 29, 2008
No. Not necessiarily, but it just needs to drop the redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
BUG.exe said:
Game after game Sonic Team has made a 3d sonic game and with utter disaster to the point you question if they try anymore, but some of the sonic team games weren't bad like sonic rush and sonic advanced. 3d sonic games aren't impossible to be made good, but they just...haven't been good. so does this mean it's time for sonic to just go back to 2d games? maybe even on consoles, but with gorgeous environments and graphics.
Make his speed easy to control and vairety

o and get rid if the lives system

BUG.exe

Mar 11, 2009
well i can rip sonic unleashed in many ways. or you can watch the ZP episode about it to sum up most of my argument. besides everything good ol' Yatzee said, if a game has to reward you for turning a corner correctly, that is NOT a good game. where the target audience throughout the game is the same target audience as say....barney, we again have another problem. did you WATCH the first cutscene with that stupid squirrel getting ice cream or whatever? its like they took sonic and the secret rings and made him not be able to move side to side to save his life. speaking of lives, sonic team needs to get rid of lives. or more generally, sega needs to get rid of sonic team.

tsunamibomb

Jul 9, 2008
I'd say make 2D sonic games and release them on XBLA and PSN. make em like the old ones that are already on there, but new and with HD graphics and stuff. none of the gimmicks of the 3D games either. just back to the old style side scrolling platformer.
But unfortunately I doubt any of it will happen; if sonic team were going to listen to the fans, they would of stopped making such rubbish a long time ago. shame, cos I loved the sonic games all the way up to the dreamcast games.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
joystickjunki3 said:
Thunderhorse said:
joystickjunki3 said:
Thunderhorse said:

I see where your coming from, the problem is, I'm done looking for the redeemable traits in Sonic.
I had forgotten about the Sonic Advance games, and while its a great throwback to the old style of gameplay, a handheld game for a system I dont even own is unlikely to change my opinion. Especially when I can almost guarantee the choice to remain 2d was a hardware issue more than a style one.

I grew up with Sonic, and in the time I was learning how to eat chilli dogs and run really fast, Sonic forgot all the things that made him cool on the console. I know people like 3d sonic games, and will always be willing to give Sonic a second chance, but I'm not one of them. I'd just like to see the mascot for my childhood age with dignity.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Thunderhorse said:
joystickjunki3 said:
Thunderhorse said:
joystickjunki3 said:
Thunderhorse said:

I see where your coming from, the problem is, I'm done looking for the redeemable traits in Sonic.
I had forgotten about the Sonic Advance games, and while its a great throwback to the old style of gameplay, a handheld game for a system I dont even own is unlikely to change my opinion. Especially when I can almost guarantee the choice to remain 2d was a hardware issue more than a style one.

I grew up with Sonic, and in the time I was learning how to eat chilli dogs and run really fast, Sonic forgot all the things that made him cool on the console. I know people like 3d sonic games, and will always be willing to give Sonic a second chance, but I'm not one of them. I'd just like to see the mascot for my childhood age with dignity.
I can respect that. I am still very much a handheld gamer in addition to my consoles. As a result, the Sonic Rush games, and the GBA and Neo-Geo Pocket games, are in high standing in my book.

They could've pulled off 3D Sonic on the DS and they semi-proved that w/ Sonic Rush Adventure. It doesn't matter because I'm pretty sure Dimps would've made it 2D even if it were on the PS3. That's just how they roll.

It's just that I get annoyed w/ the bandwagon hatred, or for that matter bandwagon love, of a game or game series. Sorry if it seemed like I was accusing you; it was more of a rant.

Tarmon'gaidin

Jan 15, 2009
They should stop with Sonic entirely, and Mabey start a new series of Sonic in a couple of years. Because at this point Sonic can't be saved.

BUG.exe

Mar 11, 2009
does anybody else think that maybe sega should release the rights to say......somebody else?

Aug 13, 2008
unleashed, on wii at least (zp reviewed the 360 version and pointed out a lot of flaws such as hubs and qte's on every bad guy that aren't actually in the wii version), is actually fairly decent and gives me hope that one day sonic team may make an sa2 killer since sa2 is one of my favourite games ever

Nostalgia

Mar 8, 2009
Sonic doesn't feel right at all in 3D. Mario works. Zelda works. Metroid works.
Sonic was just that franchise that couldn't take the shift, like Megaman.

No hard feelings or anything, but SEGA tries way too hard to give Sonic something new to work with to keep the franchise from being stale, but it's a shining example of what happens when you stray too far from the formula. This is why I hate when people ***** that X or Y doesn't bring anything exceptionally new to the game, when the fact that this practice destroys a lot of games.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
I think that Sonic should be aborted and killed off ASAP seeing how things have evolved.

Glaceis

Mar 4, 2009
It's not that if they should go back to 2d, but more along the lines of, should they improve the 3d's gameplay to something decent. I can say the sonic adventure series kept me going a long time because of the chao garden. But the rest of the game had many glitches in it (not saying the garden didn't) such as, falling through the levels, timer still continues after finishing the level, the camera, anything knuckles or rouge related in the game, and the clone a chao for infinit money glitch. Maybe if they make another sonic adventure, spice up the gameplay by fixing the errors and many more, extending the chao garden (maybe online) or even adding a chao (one of your own) as a playable character in a game instead of creating new characters every few years. Voices and such could be changed from the 4kids ones, but I normally only have the volume on for the awesome music. They have potential for a good 3d game, but they have yet to grasp it, and the way they are going, it's spiraling down the crapper at super sonic speeds.