Poll: Should the Fallout setting go European (or anywhere else)?

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
no.
maybe as a spin-off but everything that is not the US would be so different in the fallout universe. for example all the technology that is more advanced than stuff from the 50s runs on fusion-cell technology developed in the US and shared with nobody else.
That makes china one possible setting since the US did send troops there and they may have reverse-engineered the tech but still.
Maybe Africa could be a cool setting since it's more or less not effected by the war, just add technology because a bunch of rich British guys fled there before the destruction of Europe and we are set.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
Well if your gonna set it outside of america, the only place which comes to mind are either china or the UK (since we pretty much follow you into any big war as it is anyway or sometimes the other way round too), most other countries probably wouldn't help the 2 giants out as it is.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Daddy Go Bot said:
ChupathingyX said:
There are still many areas of America that haven't been explored, or even talked about.

So no, especially if Bethesda are the ones making it.
I wouldn't even trust Bethesda with America. Instead of coming up with something new and original they just took a lot of the stuff from the old games (F.E.V., super mutants, the Enclave) and just shoved it into D.C. That just pisses all over the lore.
So... by faithfully following the lore, Bethesda pissed all over the lore? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Bethesa can make only about 2 more games, one in the Southern part of the U.S. and one in the Northern part. After that they'd have pretty much covered every corner of the U.S. and would have spread out to other countries to have any more new material to work from.

There are 2 arguments against having Fallout in another country that I've seen on this thread, and neither are valid:
1. America is central to the style, story, technology, etc. of the Fallout universe.

Wrong, Fallout is a series commenting on and mocking humanity as a whole, a game set in even a drastically different country wouldn't change that. There are several other countries that can easily be commented on and mocked that we can identify with too, a country that is very unimportant to us now would not be a good idea, but ones like Canada, China, and England would be good places because China is the "enemy" country of Fallout, while Canada and England are countries that aren't that different from America, so they're easier to identify with.

2. Changing the country would make Fallout so different that it couldn't be considered "Fallout" anymore, that it might as well be a new series.

Wrong again, while commenting on the human condition is the main theme of Fallout, there are several others that are universal, post apocalyptic devastation, desperation, the stuggle to survive against mutated creatures(including the Super Mutants, and there's plenty of ways mutation can happen) and homicidal maniacs, transhumanism, etc. These themes can fit with any country anywhere, how they'd be implemented would probably be different but in no way would make the game "not Fallout" That, and the gameplay, which unless they come up with something better (and I honestly can't imagine one) I hope it's basics never change, though improvement is fine.

Above all, the feeling one gets running around a post apocalyptic wasteland is the most important thing, Fallout gives a very unique one, and it's not it's country alone but it's themes that make this happen. Fallout will end up set in another country eventually, and as long as the developers put real effort into the game it will do just as good there as it has set in the U.S.

Harlief

Jul 8, 2009
It could work, but I think it might blow the doors too far open to new possibilities which might lead to less depth of story... and let's face it, the back story in the Fallout series is huge and well written, but only really for the US. Perhaps they could have a parallel series set in Europe, and draw some folklore from Russian nuclear apocalypse games.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
immortalfrieza said:
Daddy Go Bot said:
ChupathingyX said:
There are still many areas of America that haven't been explored, or even talked about.

So no, especially if Bethesda are the ones making it.
I wouldn't even trust Bethesda with America. Instead of coming up with something new and original they just took a lot of the stuff from the old games (F.E.V., super mutants, the Enclave) and just shoved it into D.C. That just pisses all over the lore.
So... by faithfully following the lore, Bethesda pissed all over the lore? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
They took things from the previous games, tweaked them and gave stupid or non-existent reasons as to why. They could've made their own new factions, but instead they took factions like the BoS, teleported them tot he east coast and completely changed their aim, overall personality, society and politics. The BoS went from from being conservative, xenophobic, selfish tech hoarders to altruistic, morally white, for-the-people knights in shining armour.

Bethesda did not faithfully follow the lore at all, Mothership Zeta is a standing defilement of the lore.

devotedsniper said:
Well if your gonna set it outside of america, the only place which comes to mind are either china or the UK (since we pretty much follow you into any big war as it is anyway or sometimes the other way round too), most other countries probably wouldn't help the 2 giants out as it is.
The UK had nothing at all to do with the US/China cold war, they were too busy fighting with the Middle East.

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
It wold be nice to play from the Russian perspective. Now, I'm not sure what happened to Russia, I guess that China was the villain in Fallout, but Metro and Stalker have woozed atmosphere by the bucket and it would be cool to see Moscow and how stalinist ideals and propaganda would fare after a nuclear war.

Dumori

Dumori(masoddaa)
May 28, 2010
Daddy Go Bot said:
Fallout taking place in another country would COMPLETELY rob it from its character and charm. If you'd do that you'd just have a generic post-apocalyptic game ala Metro 2033 or STALKER. Really, it's not even debatable.

The only way it could work is if the game took place during the resource war.
I mean SICENCE! would still work the same. We've had hints that the USA got off nicely compared to some places in the recovery factor if not the "war". To me the the US setting isn't a big a player in Fallouts awesome than the games taking 1950's American Sci-Fi and making a world with it, in a way. The rest of the world would have to fit in with that.

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
dyre said:
nah, like you said, Fallout is Fallout because it's a lulzy look at American Cold War fears, culture, and propaganda. Someone can make a different series about Europe or Asia.
I agree to dyre.

We like Fallout series because it is a mockery to 50's Cold War Paranoia with retrofuturistic postapocalyptic genre (and if you count Fallout 2, a bit cyberpunk).

It will not be that much deep in Europe.

If you want a "Europeanized Fallout", go play Stalker (yes I know it is based on Chernobyl disaster)

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
Like everyone has said, Fallout riffs off old Cold war paranoia that isn't really a part of other nations psyche.

Besides, the US is huge, there's plenty of areas that haven't been considered yet in games or expansions that could work.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I think setting a game in China would be very interesting, though they've barely even touched on America at this point. They've been focused on around 3 states for the entire series; maybe a change of country is not necessary, but at least pick a different state.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Wabblefish said:
Now I will await people to rage at me then I will tell them that the main reason that half of people want a Fallout in Europe is because they are FROM Europe therefore they think it would be cool...but at least a Fallout in Australia makes sense since Fallout is heavily inspired by Mad Max and the idea of a post apocalyptic Australia.
I'm Irish and I would like an Irish Fallout given how Irish politics could change with the IRA and Loyalists in the Fallout timeline. It could make an interesting concept.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Fallout doesnt actually have much of the cold war stuff, thats mostly in Fallout 3, If you play the original ones they have much more of a western frontier expansion feel to them a feeling that was completely lacking in Fallout 3 yet is considered the best in the series by most
so why cant we change the feeling a bit more and have it in europe
for example british 1940s would be interesting with all the war propogander

jordan312

Jan 23, 2010
Fallout set in 1940/50s London would be the best thing ever... if they do it right.
They could have the keep calm and carry on posters plastered everywhere.

The Arctic Nun

Jun 2, 2010
Everyone would love Fallout to be set where they reside and I do say as much as I would love a Fallout Scotland that winning setting is the quintessential American stepford dream. Well, except slightly radiated.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I would like the next Fallout to based in the following places.

- Australia, now that would be diffirent, but...HOW can you do that?
- Canada, same with Australia, exept Canada got annexed.
- Japan, mabey an american undercover soldier/agent that got captured and frozen or mutated?
- England/Scottland (Could be same game, mabey Scottland a DLC), I think they could do that, mabey make you and MI6 agent or an undercover american agent.

If not any of these I dont see how they can do a Fallout outside of America and call it Fallout. (China is an exeption since they cancelled Fallout: Extreame)

Fleischer

Jan 8, 2011
WaywardHaymaker said:
I get why it's supposed to be set in America, and that most of the established lore and world wouldn't be able to translate overseas...

But fuck if I wouldn't want to see Fallout: London, or Fallout: Paris, or something like that.
I agree shifting Fallout away from the United States would probably fail, but it would be interesting to see how the Brits would deal in such a hostile world environment. Also, it is awesome to walk around in a history city and fight muties and other baddies in front of historic landmark. I call dibs on Big Ben as my snipers nest!

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
spartandude said:
Fallout doesnt actually have much of the cold war stuff, thats mostly in Fallout 3
errr, it is not COMPLETELY made of cold war stuff, like the new Fallout 3 and New Vegas,
however cold war stuff is still have important factor in Fallout 1 and 2. Because events that lead to the nuclear fallout and the technologies, are based on 50s of America.

compare these two videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqXu-5jw60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3PXiV95kwA

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Im from the UK and I still think fallout should remain in America, changing themes would mean it's not fallout.