Poll: Should we boycot EA? (and AAA publishers in general).

The Jovian

Dec 21, 2012
Just to be clear this isn't a yet another "EA sucks" discussion thread and I really hope it doesn't devolve into one. I'm just asking, if theoretically enough people were boycotting all of EA's titles to the point where most of them were bombing left right and centre, would this force them to change their tunes and actually try to make better (non-homogenised rip-off) products free of the typical DLC and micro-transactions bullcrap, or will it just result in them closing a whole lot of studios, axing hundreds (if not thousands) of hard working game developers and just starting over with the new studios they just bought and will also run into the ground with the exact same practices.

I'm asking because in recent years EA has gained a reputation for thinking that it can do no wrong as evidenced by them having the balls to say that it's the consumers' fault for not enjoying Dungeon Keeper Mobile because apparently in EA's eyes a game that has all the hallmarks of following the leader was somehow "ahead of its time". The way I see it EA is currently being run by a collection of incompetent delusional megalomaniacs who are addicted to their own egos.

And I say incompetent not because they make the occasional bad (and/or price gouging with DLCs and MTs) game, but because they seem to have forgotten the golden rule of running a business "the customer is always (okay not always but most times) right" because they can't stop dismissing criticism and dodging responsibility for their mistakes, and even when they do apologise it's always so half-hearted and insincere (especially when they go and make the same mistake a few months later).

But their ineptitude of running a business doesn't just extend to their bad interactions with their customers but they also seem to have fallen asleep during Economics 101 specifically the part that says that demand for a product is inversely proportional to the price of the product as evidenced by the fact that they refuse to lower the prices of their games on Origin despite them cutting many costs involved with the physical distribution of the game. And if lowering the price is unfeasible then lower the costs, oh wait the do try lowering the costs though uncompensated crunch time except that they seem to have forgotten that worker productivity can't be maintained if the workers have a grand total of 21 hours of free time a week, resulting in an overall worse product. They're just terrible at management, PR and marketing period.

But EA doesn't care about those things and based on how they're behaving it won't matter how many games lose money overall, they will still do the same shit they do already and won't give a fuck about how many people they lay off to remain in business because as we already established everyone but them is at fault for their games not making any money, and they can say that the opposite is true all day long and they'll still come across like they don't really mean it.

All of this leads to my question, should we boycott EA (or any other publisher to which you can apply at least half the things I said in the preceding paragraphs)? Personally I've been boycotting them since they released the video game abomination known as Command & Conquer 4, (you were expecting me to say Mass Effect 3, didn't you?) and personally I'm getting tired of it all, I'm tired of them constantly running franchises and dev teams to the ground, I'm tired of them making the same stupid mistakes time and time again without any attempt whatsoever to remedy them, I'm tired of them lying through their teeth one minute and having someone else (that works for them) contradict them the next. And lastly I'm tired of boycotting them because I just don't see the point of it anymore.

But what do you guys and gals think?

EDIT:
jklinders said:
This is amusing.

First we start off with "Just to be clear this isn't a yet another "EA sucks" discussion thread" then we go into a whole diatribe of things that many publishers are doing but only EA is mentioned. Then we are painting everything under that banner with the same brush while apparently ignoring that indie devs are not exactly pure as the yellow driven snow either.

Buy what you want to, ignore what you want to, but if you really want to make some kind of consumer point, you need to actually get off your ass and tell them why you are doing either. Doing one without the other is just lazy as fuck bullshit and a spouting of hot air besides.
Okay I never said that everything I said was wrong with EA applies only to EA. UbiSoft, Activision and Sqeenix also have their share of mistakes. I'm just using EA as an example because it's doing these mistakes much more frequently and on a much larger scale with considerably less shame (at least Activision ignores criticism instead of publicly dismissing it). And yes I know indie devs aren't perfect we've all seen enough proof that they can fail just as bad as EA, and yes they also churn out bad games just to make some kind of profit out of them. The difference in my opinion is that EA's dev teams could've made great games if EA would allow them to do so, but the indie devs behind Guise of the Wolf, Day One: Garry's Incident, Earth 2066 and The Slaughtering Grounds are just plain old incompetent and would've made bad games regardless of how much money they had either because of lack of ability or integrity. EA is doing bad games out of (a presumably wilful) ignorance of a better way, bad indie devs are making bad games on purpose because they literally can't make anything good.

And what exactly do you expect me to accomplish when you say I should get off my ass? Like I said they don't listen to us, they dismiss us and they think they are perfect. I can write a letter to them saying that I'm boycotting them because of such and such business practices and attitudes and there's nothing stopping them from just deleting it as soon as they see it in their inbox let alone read it. That's why I'm asking if we should boycott them? Because I don't know if it would make a difference whether or not they know why we're doing it.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
While I agree with the simple principle of "if you don't like it, don't buy it" or "if you don't agree with it, don't support it" the major problem with a simple boycott is that is doesn't always get the right message across. This is even more true when you're talking about a very large company like EA. They may see that Game X sold terribly but they won't always see why. Sometimes it's the result of a dedicated boycott, but sometimes it's just because the game wasn't visible enough to encourage sales. Maybe it's because it used objectionable DRM, or maybe it's because it was a great concept but had flawed execution. All they will see is that it didn't sell well and won't push money in that direction in the future.

If you're going to boycott something, it's important that A.) You don't buy it, B.) you don't actually even play it (pirating or buying used doesn't really help because the company will still see you as a user/player even if you don't pay them for it( and C.) you let them know in as clear a way as possible why you are not buying it. Just not buying it isn't enough.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
EA are one of the largest publishers in the world so I think a boycott is very unrealistic. It's like boycotting McDonald's or Walmart or something. It doesn't matter how legitimate your criticisms are, they have so many customers that any boycott will be ineffective.

But let's say that a large-scale boycott is possible. Another problem is that EA does actually release good games from time to time. Boycotting them would mean missing out on games that are actually good, and if we boycott risky, innovative projects that need the support of gaming enthusiasts, it'll lead to EA making even more homogeneous garbage because it's both what they believe sells, and what actually sells.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Dont care people can do what they want I hardly ever buy EA games last one I bought was Mass Effect 2 and it was ok but I dont like EA havent done since the early 90s their logo on a game actually makes me feel a little sick its that bad. That said I do not hard boycott EA games but I do think very hard about buying the very few they release that even remotely appeal to me.

I wouldnt tell others to boycott them though people can make their own decisions as I have made mine but if everyone did boycott them and they went out of business I would definitely not be upset about it quite the opposite in fact.

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
I already boycott EA, which very occasionally sucks (DA:I actually has my interest), but it's so rare and there are so many other games that it's really not noticeable. However, I have no delusions that a large scale EA boycott would never. ever work. They have way, way too many massive franchises to ever be brought very low (though apparently they went from largest publisher to third largest in a year; that still means on their worst year they were third largest publisher in the world), so I think an EA (or a even more broad AAA) boycott could only be a personal, disorganized level, and has no chance of success on a larger scale.

Thorn14

Jun 29, 2013
Us boycotting would not do shit. EA isn't relying on the informed gamer who goes to forums and partakes in gaming news.

They're after the 90% of gamers who don't give a shit and just buy into hype machines.

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
DizzyChuggernaut said:
[...]Another problem is that EA does actually release good games from time to time. Boycotting them would mean missing out on games that are actually good, and if we boycott risky, innovative projects that need the support of gaming enthusiasts, it'll lead to EA making even more homogeneous garbage because it's both what they believe sells, and what actually sells.
Yeah, that's basically my stance on boycotts of publishers or devs. If you don't buy their bad games or games with bad business practices, you're giving them negative reinforcement to stop making those games. And if you still buy their games that don't have those practices and that you're interested in, you give them positive reinforcement to keep making those games and don't deprive yourself of as many good games.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
"boycott" is a harsh word. Don't buy shit. Do not turn of your brain when it comes to games.

Just vote with your wallet. Buy stuff you think is good, ignore shit and they will follow the money. It's not such a complex thing.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
DizzyChuggernaut said:
But let's say that a large-scale boycott is possible. Another problem is that EA does actually release good games from time to time. Boycotting them would mean missing out on games that are actually good, and if we boycott risky, innovative projects that need the support of gaming enthusiasts, it'll lead to EA making even more homogeneous garbage because it's both what they believe sells, and what actually sells.
Adeptus Aspartem said:
"boycott" is a harsh word. Don't buy shit. Do not turn of your brain when it comes to games.
Just vote with your wallet. Buy stuff you think is good, ignore shit and they will follow the money. It's not such a complex thing.
Yeah, unless the company is involved in serious ethical issues rather than just offering poor value for money, I think its best not to boycott the whole company, just look at each game in turn and ask "How good is it?" and "How much do they want me to pay for it?" and "How much do I want to pay for it?". I don't like microtransactions and have never paid money for them, knowing that Dead Space 3 was full of them (and had other issues), I bought it when the price hit £10 pounds, rather than buying it for £20 which I might have done otherwise. On the other hand Kingdoms of Amalur was a generally well reviewed game with no shady practices surrounding it (at least no obvious ones I can remember), so I got it for (nearly) full price. And obviously I stayed the hell away from Dungeon Keeper and SimCity.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
When will this stop? Its tiring how many "lets boycott X, I'm so smart by the way" threads that are posted now and than.
Don't like it than don't buy it, and don't worry about it.

As for your "question" hidden in all that text. Its quite simple there is no grand movement for you to be loyal to. Most of the people who talk of boycotts and the like do not have conviction anyway, and the small number who do are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. So don't not buy a game because you want to do your "part", just don't buy it if you don't want it...simple.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Sure EA has done a some things I disagree with, but mostly it just resulted in me not buying said product or DLC. For the most part I actually have enjoyed the games they put out, just because dead space had some horrible DLC, but I didn't have to buy it to still enjoy the game, and I never did pick up dungeon keeper since I knew hot horrible it was.
I would never go so far as to boycott the company, they didn't copyright the word edge or candy, they just sometimes do things that piss me off while making fun and enjoyable games.
I have to say this whole AAA hate is starting to get real old, judge a game for its marits and not some stupid label.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I wouldn't say I'm boycotting EA per se, but I'm not going to buy games I don't want and I don't really want what they're selling.

However....

StriderShinryu said:
If you're going to boycott something, it's important that A.) You don't buy it, B.) you don't actually even play it (pirating or buying used doesn't really help because the company will still see you as a user/player even if you don't pay them for it( and C.) you let them know in as clear a way as possible why you are not buying it. Just not buying it isn't enough.
So much of this. If you're serious, you need to do all three. I hate when people boycott something and then buy it anyway, or pirate it. "we're really really angry and don't want your game unless we think we can get away with it!"

Adeptus Aspartem said:
Voting with your wallet is dumb and pointless because there is no particular way for a company to count a negative vote. See also: they must have pirated it. It's not purchasing something, but with a name that tries to give it a false sense of impact.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
In a word, "no." It's assinine to paint all publishers, AAA or otherwise, with the same brush. If I want to buy a game, I'll make that choice based on its own merits, not "this game came from X, so I automatically won't buy it." For example, 'Child of Light' is on my "to get" list. I don't care that it comes from Ubisoft, I will get that game because I have chosen to get it based on everything I've read and seen, and have conversely chosen not to get (insert Ubisoft game here) because of whatever reason (cost, interest, etc.)

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
I'm not boycotting EA, I'm just boycotting one of their programs. Origin. Hmm. Wait. I guess I am boycotting EA.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
I already don't buy from most AAA publisher/devs. Not Business practice reasons, but because none of them are making games I have deemed worthy of my dollar.

I mean I'm pretty sure the last EA game I bought was Amalur, everything else I've no interest in, though I do have an aversion to Origin, so there's that I guess. As for Activision, Prototype two, a couple weeks ago, on sale, and Ubisoft has never made a game I've ever deemed worthy of my time so they already don't exist far as I'm concerned.

so put me down for 'I'm not boycotting anything, but chances are incredibly small I'll be buying anything from them anyway.' I guess

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
No.

If I don't like a look of a game, I won't buy it.

But I am not going to condemn an entire publisher.

For example I don't care for any of Ubisoft's major games, but if I boycotted them I would have never been able to play Child of Light or Valiant Hearts: The Great War.

EA still makes games which I like.
I liked the Sims 4, sure if didn't have pools at launch (it does now), but I still like the game.
I liked Sim City.
I liked Battlefield 4.

I like Star Wars: The Old Republic.

I won't boycott an entire corporation, that is a promise I can't keep.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
i stopped buying EA, Ubisoft, and Activision games, as well as most of S-E's. i still buy some of their smaller experimental titles when they are made to set a good example. also, BandaiNamco has been really good about these kinds of things.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
I wouldn't say I'm boycotting EA per se, but I'm not going to buy games I don't want and I don't really want what they're selling.

However....

StriderShinryu said:
So much of this. If you're serious, you need to do all three. I hate when people boycott something and then buy it anyway, or pirate it. "we're really really angry and don't want your game unless we think we can get away with it!"
Yep, this is huge. If a company sees you buying something used or pirating it just so you can still play it anyway all they see is a potential customer. All they see is someone who they'll just have to try even harder to get money from next time. In fact, especially if you pirate, you're not only seen as a missed sale but also seen as someone who wanted to play Game X so badly that, despite any supposed moral/ethical objections you said you had, you were literally willing to do something possibly/probably illegal to acquire it. Is that the message you are really intending to send with your "boycott?" I hate you guys and your games so much that I'm willing to risk legal action in order to play them?

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Nope.

For better or worse, EA continues to deliver some good games. I could care less about the drama that leads in to the release of a game. At most..if I'm on the fence about a purchase then I might let that drama be my deciding point.

For example, I was on the fence with Shadow of Mordor until it came to my attention about how they handled the reviews of the game. Jim Sterling goes into this in his squirty plays and I think jimquisition as well. So I let this bit of drama make up my mind. I wouldn't boycott a company who did this stuff with every game they released regardless of quality though.

Gailim

Oct 13, 2009
If you buy EA games then you are part of the problem

There are hundreds of studios putting out great games these days. so why would you buy from the one that constantly screws its consumers

avoiding EA is an easy decision