Poll: "Show a little sympathy; all death is tragic !"

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
My grandad just recently died. He was ready to go. His death wasn't a tragedy. His life was celebrated, we reminisced, we went home. This isn't heartless; I know for a fact that he was waiting for the end for a very long time, so the final release was probably welcomed with open arms.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
You don't have to get sad about every death you hear about, but you at least have to show some respect for those who might be sad.

Sean Steele

Mar 30, 2010
I'm guessing people are talking about the Winehouse death. My personal opinion is that her death is almost absolutely self caused. By accidental drug use, or the health effects from choices she herself made. I cannot honestly say that such a death is tragic. I respect people's right to make terrible decisions, but when the results of those decisions turn out to be negative I cannot bring myself to feel an overwhelming amount of pity for them. Especially those with more then the rest of us, it seems more like someone squandering a head start. Her death was not tragic any more then someone surviving in the desert alone is tragic. It is the expression of their free will above the standard status quo. Maybe I am just waxing philisophic to hide a genuine lack of empathy but I do not personally believe that is the case. If someone dies of cancer that they did not cause or knowingly cause, tragic, if a baby is hit by a car, tragic, if a random passerby is shot in a shooting very very tragic. However, if someone dies of the cancer they got from smoking ten packs a day, if someone jumps infront of a bus, or someone gets shot in a shootout they initiated... I don't find it close to tragic. Its the consequence to the actions they themselves performed knowingly and willingl.

FuktLogik

Jan 6, 2010
TheScientificIssole said:
I've read this many times on forums. What do you think of it? Do you agree? Disagree?
I have to say, no.
If someone who I don't know dies, why does it have to be tragic to ME? If some celebrities death occurs, why should I have to have be personally affected? The fact is I don't know 99% of the Earth population, and death happens every day. Hundreds of thousands of people die every day. I don't enter into a day by day depression over it. Something being horrible is one person's opinion.
This is almost word for word my opinion on the matter. Glad to see not everyone on the internet is a bleeding heart.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
SirBryghtside said:
I've read this many times on forums. What do you think of it? Do you agree? Disagree?
I have to say, no.
If someone who I don't know dies, why does it have to be tragic to ME? If some celebrities death occurs, why should I have to have be personally affected? The fact is I don't know 99% of the Earth population, and death happens every day. Hundreds of thousands of people die every day. I don't enter into a day by day depression over it. Something being horrible is one person's opinion.
I don't think that tragic necessarily leads to you being personally affected.

I found Amy Winehouse's death tragic, but I didn't feel that bad, sad, whatever. The same goes for the Norway situation - no one there was personally linked to me, so I don't feel much, but I have the decency to respect those who died, and the tragedy of the event.
I'm with this guy. It's true that if you aren't personally connected to a tragedy, then you can't be reasonably expected to feel the same as you would if a loved one had died. That does not, however, give you license to disrespect a loss of human life. Feeling a modicum of sadness about a person's death (and sympathy for those affected) is the only decent, human response.

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
Death is one of those topics where its hard for me to give a black and white answer like "yes or no". But if I had to give an answer:

I voted no. I personally don't perceive all deaths to be tragic or been personally affected by, nor do I feel like every death ever is tragic. Obvious example like Hitler have already been named.

The very question is subjective, no need to be offended if someone see's something like death differently than you do.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
Life is precious in the sense that it is relatively rare, but as far as death goes, It doesn't bother me.

A Free Man

May 9, 2010
I have to say, no.
Hmm I think the misunderstanding comes in when there can be a difference between what you say and what you feel. For example if some random that I had never met before died I probably wouldn't feel anything personally, however I would not then go on a forum and post the fact that I don't care about such a persons death when many people who would read my post might be deeply affected by it. Do you see what I mean? Not everything in the world is about you. Perhaps just show a little respect.

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
Princess Rose said:
I have to say, no.
Yes.

Death is always tragic.

Sometimes it is necessary. Sometimes it is a good thing. Executing a murderer is right and just - but it is still tragic.

Too many people seem to think it has to be one or the other.
Right and just? Says who? And why?

If you put a murderer to death, you are murdering them. Does this mean it would be "right and just" to then kill you? How are you any better than them if you are doing what you condemn them for?

Edit: I guess my stance on whether or not death is tragic comes from my accepting that everyone's death is inevitable. I just can't really see a death as "tragic" objectively. Of course I'd weep if someone close to me died, but if I'm disconnected from it it doesn't bother me.

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
Valkaris said:
"Tragedy is when i cut my finger, comedy is when you fall down an open manhole cover and die."

no
I see that you brilliantly managed to completely miss the point of that quote.

Fugitive Panda

Jan 21, 2011
Yes. Even if I'm not about to shed a tear for some poor schmuck who thought it was a great idea to wander off the path at the wildlife sanctuary, I know someone will, and that's tragic.

Unless the deadee happens to be a murderer themself.

Tanto-chan

Nov 9, 2009
I agree. Every life is meaningful and while any one person in a crowd may not have touched you, they touched someone else, and you know what that feels like, and then it's gone. And no matter what, when somebody dies, someone will mourn. It doesn't have to be everyone all the time, it's just nice to accept that, when a person dies, they take with them a peice of someone else's world.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
I have to say, no.
I think its more the concept of another human being dying that should be considered tragic. I find an unknown human dying isn't an earth shattering experiance to be mourned by me, however, I can understand the tragedy of death.

The concept of death, and the toll is a very heavy one whether every death should hang heavy on you, I don't believe so. The concept that we should feel sadness when someone dies and the knowledge of the death that transpires, that's something I can grasp

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
Ordinaryundone said:
.....where is the gaming in this gaming discussion? Color me confused.
Its in Off-topic. Color you Corrected. ^.^

OT: I agree with most. it doesnt have to effect me, but most death is tragic. it may have a reason for it, but still, tragic.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Was Hitler's death tragic? No...
Actually, it was for his family and/or friends, so yeah. Always, then. Oops on the poll.

Kais86

May 21, 2008
Most people who die don't want their survivors crying over them, they would want them to get on with their lives. Show respect to the dead, but don't mourn their death, celebrate their lives, preferably with cake and booze. Once your postmortem celebration is over, go about your business as usual, that's what they would want.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
Death is tragic if I liked them - If not I honestly don't care too much. I mean people complain when a bomb goes off and kills 10, 50 or maybe even a 100 people - but in the statistics - it's nothing. I didn't know them. Doesn't harm me. There's 6 billion and something people on earth, the death rate and birthrate balance each other out and the figures are simply sickening. 10,000 people don't even make a dent these days. It's a tragic moment that so much life was cut short. But in the end - they'd only have lived for what - another 30-50 years. And that's if they were the average age. They'd have been mourned then too, when they died in the future - in the long term view of things 50 years isn't much of a difference.
So no - every death is NOT tragic, if it's someone you know, sure I understand (not including celebrities) but if it's anyone else. It simply doesn't matter.

matt87_50

Apr 3, 2009
tragic:
"Causing or characterized by extreme distress or sorrow"

now, Americans, partying in the street to the first bit of genuinely GOOD news to hit your country in over a decade, perhaps you would like to explain to me how the death of OBL was tragic?

the shooting and bombing in oslo, that was the definition of tragic.

and yes, tragic is OBVIOUSLY subjective... also communicable, (if someone you don't know dies, you might not see that as tragic. if that someone turns out to be the son of a friend, then it will be more so.)

but it is entirely possible that someone could die without that news being tragic to anyone... which, ironically, could be seen as tragic by some...