Poll: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories- Will it be good?

manicfoot

Apr 16, 2008
hiddendragonv5 said:
I think Silent Hill: Shattered Memories will be bad cause it looks like you can't fight and it is just silent hill 1 but with a graphic upgrade personally.
It doesn't follow the original... It takes the concept of it and makes it into its own. Have you heard about the psych profile? Throughout the game, you'll be asked questions and the answers you give will help shape the world around you. Also, the game will take note of where you head first, how careful you are and many other things in an attempt to get inside your head.

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
I'm intrigued enough to check it out, between the elimination of combat (and focus on escape), the profiling system, and the use of the flashlight and cell phone. It's probably going to have the same problem as most other Wii games, though, and that it's going to give me carpal tunnel for having to keep the remote pointed at the screen the entire time. Still, I'm glad Climax is trying to inject some new ideas into the Silent Hill concept, since Homecoming was pretty boring.

Speaking of which: is it just me, or does Shattered Memories actually look better than Homecoming? The environments seem more crisp and detailed, and the flashlight can actually illuminate the surroundings, whereas with Homecoming I couldn't see anything half the time, and not in that scary "Oh my! What's that in the darkness?" way, but more like the confused "That's supposed to be a door!?" way.

Valkyira

Mar 13, 2009
No offence but horror games made by Americans isn't as good as the Japanese stuff.

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
People are confusing 'reimagining' with 'remake'. The game uses the same setting and characters, but other than that the game will be different. The game bases itself on actions you make, and the way you behave. This game is going to kick ass!

Also, for the people complaining about the lack of combat: Silent Hill combat blows. Focusing on running rather than fighting is a good thing, in my book.

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
I dunno, I do think it'll stand amongst itself though. Although the Psyche idea sounds interesting, I think it'll suffer from Molyneux syndrome.

cj_iwakura

Mar 2, 2009
New Troll said:
The original Silent Hill does need to be remade, but for the PS3 and XBox 360, NOT the PSP and Wii. Going to suck. Next they're going to try and remake Parasite Eve for the DSi.
Not quite, but they are working on Parasite Eve 3 for the PSP(The Third Birthday).

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
DrDeath3191 said:
Also, for the people complaining about the lack of combat: Silent Hill combat blows. Focusing on running rather than fighting is a good thing, in my book.
I know. I haven't played a Silent Hill game yet (This one might be my first!) but I heard one of the series' major complaints is its combat system being clunky, so removing it could be a good thing. That, and the fact that I can't fight most of the game's monsters would probably scare me more than fighting them.

hiddendragonv5

Apr 18, 2009
I was talking about the story not like the first one but's it story is the same both were looking a lose child but still it looks bad.

UULibrarian

Sep 12, 2009
I am a hardcore Silent Hill fan. The kind that does SH cosplay (Vincent), plays SH music on guitar, and frequently sees Pyramid Head in dreams. Honestly, I was pretty pissed when I first found out about Shattered Memories. It's definitely not what the fans meant when we said we wanted a remake of SH1. But the more I thought about it, the more I warmed up to the idea.

The first thing you have to get over is that in terms of the story and scope of the SH universe, this will indeed in no way be a suitable substitute for the original. The mere fact that Harry uses an iPhone in the game is proof enough of that. That's why Climax Studios have been stressing the difference between "remake" and their own word, "reimagining". it's just a "What if?" scenario. It shouldn't be scrutinized and have all its inconsistencies with the rest of the series pointed out. It should simply be enjoyed.

That said, it definitely does look different. But you know, I welcome a change. The old "shift to nightmare world" formula is tried and true, but it's been done several times now. I'd like to see what else can be done. This "ice" theme intrigues me. I'd like to see where Climax is going with this. Also, I'd be interested to see how the whole "no combat" thing works out. And there's something about the game adjusting itself depending on how you play it. To me, these all sound like fascinating ideas. I can't wait to try it.

Also, since I preordered mine, I'll get a copy of the OST free with it. :)

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
If their changes to the formula work, I believe it will be better than Silent Hill 2.

Samoftherocks

Oct 4, 2008
Quote button not working, but touche, good sir! Yes, the "remake" of RE1 is an example of good remaking, but I would submit that it's the exception in this case rather than the rule.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
For the longest time, I was convinced that this game would suck no matter what. But as I think about it, Silent Hill really did need a reboot or at least a re imagining.

Homecoming didn't get as good reviews as it should have due to playing it way too safe story wise, with the combat as the only real change. It followed the formula so closely, a lot of it felt no more than just fan-service. It referenced past games in a way too obvious manner.

It really wasn't even it's own game. Not like Silent Hill 2 and 4 were anyway. It didn't even feel like anything was really accomplished at the end. It's not like we stopped the evil Order from resurrecting God for the third time, although that would have sucked even more. All that happened was that Alex came to terms with his mistakes, which Silent Hill 2 did all on it's own without even having to mention the whole cult thing. I'm surprised it even did so well considering how much the fans smother any game if it doesn't fit perfectly within the story and timeline.

Really, the whole history and story from past games is so tight and full, that there is barely any room to expand. Fans cry out for a new Silent Hill game but demand that nothing be changed, resulting in a mediocre, clone of the past games. The whole thing chokes and restricts developers so much that, if they stay by the whole story and history of past games, no progress is made. They can't breathe without getting slapped by the fans.

A new title that rewrites the mythos rather than expanding it, or even adding nothing at all, is what the franchise needs right now.

Zombie Nixon

Sep 3, 2009
The original Silent Hill games are a standard that can't possibly be met.

If you can't meet the standard, change the standard. I'm optimistic about SM, because it looks like a new take on SH and not just fanservice.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Pr0 InSaNiTy said:
No offence but horror games made by Americans isn't as good as the Japanese stuff.
I'd disagree with you since Homecoming was much much better than Silent Hill 4, but "reimagining" video games is indeed generally a bad idea. Silent Hill 1 was not that awesome to grant something like that, there have been way better survival horror games out there. We'll have to wait and see.

laura3lizab3th

Oct 15, 2009
I hope it will be good.
I've always enjoyed SH games but I'm intruged to see how i'll cope with no combat.
But i'm putting all my hope into it restoring my faith in the Wii.