Poll: Skyrim- Did you kill Paarthurnax?

thewinner194

Nov 26, 2010
No, I didn't. I mean, he atoned for whatever he might have done in the past by helping to save the world. He doesn't deserve to die anymore.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
The Blades forget that without Paarthunax the first defeat of Alduin would have been impossible. There's a reason that generations of dragonborn emperor's have protected him from the Blades.

On that note, the Blades can go eat a big pile of shit. Dragon shit. I tried to kill them when they asked me to do that.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
MurderousToaster said:
Nomanslander said:
Ummmm? Not that it concerns me since I've beaten the game but....SPOILER! HELLO??

This whole thread even before clicking on it spoils a big moment in the game.
"Did you kill (X)?" in a game where you can kill damn near any X you want is hardly a spoiler.
It is when it's part of the main story, and last I checked you can't kill characters vital to the story unless the plot allows it.

So yes! This is a spoiler.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Yeah, the Blades suck. And it annoyed me how the quest just stays there forever... taunting you...

Matthew Valkanov

Jun 8, 2011
No way could I kill Dragon Yoda. Yes he's a dragon, a race of which the very essence is power, but he chose to steer away from that. What was that phrase he used..."Is it better to be born good, or to be to be born evil and choose to be good?"? Or something along those lines.
Plus, why would I listen to the Blades? Until they give you that quest all you hear is "The Blades serve the Dragonborn", and then they act all uppity because you're not following their orders? Bugger that.

razor343

Sep 29, 2010
Nope. I can not and will not bring myself to do it, even if it means I don't get my 'Prologue'. I lost all respect I may have had for the Blades up until that point.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
he was a friend to me and proved his loyalty by fighting against his own brother, he had honor most humans lacked in that world, it would have been dishonoring to kill him for there were no reasons for it. his past sins are things of the past wich he repayed with help to save that world.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Nope... didn't feel right. He helped me against Alduin, both with preparation and physically, when he attacked. He offered me further guidance (meditating on the Shouts) and he is dedicated to his Way of the Voice, even recruiting other dragons to his cause after Alduin's death.

Unlike the Blades (which are sadly proper little douchebags in Skyrim, an unwelcome change after Morrowind), I don't see the point in eradicating the dragon kind. They are not really any more dangerous than any other race in Tamriel (yes, individually they're powerful, but other races outnumber them by far) and they are as much of a potential ally as they are a threat. I'd rather have my Dragonborn talk to them and negotiate an alliance against the Altmeri Dominion than just butcher them off like mindless animals.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
Of course. I needed more heads for my wall collection.

And his speeches were so incredibly annoying.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Why would you WANT to kill Paarthurnax? If nothing else, he can buff three of your shouts considerably well.
Aside from that, he befriends the protagonist, betrayed Alduin twice and gives the protagonist advice and a course of action on how to defeat his older brother.
Plus, his voice is awesome.

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
I didn't. He's pretty much the one character in the game who I find to be 100% likable, and I'm not about to go kill him. Besides, he had plenty of reasonable excuses for why he did the things he did (If you were a Dragon at that time you HAD to be with Alduin.), and I think he more than made up for it, by, y'know, playing a vital part in SAVING THE WORLD (And forcing himself to sit on a mountain for thousands of years. And keeping back his violent, bloodthirsty nature. And training his fellow Dragons to do the same. And having the best personality in a long time in a mentor character. And not beggining all his sentences with "and", causing himself to sound stupid.). Plus, I find the Blades have strongly fallen morally since Oblivion. In Oblivion they were really good people, and would only kill if forced to. Here they're asking me to kill someone for crimes commited thousands of years ago when they had no choice. I think the Greybeards were right here.

llew

Sep 9, 2009
AntiChri5 said:
I see no reason to kill Paarthunax. He is the only "reformist" dragon we know of, with him dead the only option is to wipe out all dragons everywhere. The Dovahkiin would not be able to track them all down, so many would have to be killed by non dragonborn.

But, since it is hinted that Alduin may eventually return even after you kill him those dragons killed by nondragonborn will simply be revived, and there will be no friendly dragons to consume their souls.

If Parth is left alive, and turns evil, nondragonborn can kill him. It might take some doing but it can be done. There is no chance that Alduin will revive him, since Parth has betrayed Alduin twice now. But, if Parth doesn't turn evil (like he has proven he can do by thousands of years of pacifism) then his peaceful dragons can help mankind if Alduin returns, because only a dragon (or Dragonborn) can permanently killl another dragon. Parth and his students can take out Alduins followers. There is no reason to kill him.

Besides, killing Paarthunax would be killing a massive part of Nord culture. It was he who first taught humans the Thuum.
only part of that i caught by glancing was alduin coming back, if you played the game and listened you would realise he cannot come back as the only reason he came back first time was because the elder scroll sent him forward in time, this time around the dragonborn kicked his ass and ate his soul for breakfast so he isnt making a return trip this time

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
First off, as mentioned by previous posters, at least add "SPOILERS" to the title, because there are some pretty heavy spoilers here.

Now then, on to the topic at hand. I let him live. He seemed cool, so I'd feel guilty if I killed him. That said, I understand full well the argument in favor of killing him. Although he's been a huge help and does seem to be in control of his nature, there's certainly a chance that he'll one day fall to his natural urges and become a threat to the world.

There's also a chance that he's been a manipulative mastermind this entire time and has only helped defeat Alduin because he wants the World Eater out of the way of his dominance. Seems a little silly, I know, but that much planning and manipulation isn't exactly intimidating for a being older than time itself. However, if it did come to that, there would be warriors to kill him. Sure, he'd come back, but it'd be like Dracula and the Belmonts (and Morrises).

BigbadaBEEF

Jan 5, 2009
why would anyone want to do a thing like that, after 30 hours of dragons breathing fire in my face i thought it was rather nice that all paarthurnax wanted was a chat, and he was nicer to me than all the other NPCs so when delphine demanded i kill him i just used unrelenting force to throw her around the room for a while

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
llew said:
AntiChri5 said:
I see no reason to kill Paarthunax. He is the only "reformist" dragon we know of, with him dead the only option is to wipe out all dragons everywhere. The Dovahkiin would not be able to track them all down, so many would have to be killed by non dragonborn.

But, since it is hinted that Alduin may eventually return even after you kill him those dragons killed by nondragonborn will simply be revived, and there will be no friendly dragons to consume their souls.

If Parth is left alive, and turns evil, nondragonborn can kill him. It might take some doing but it can be done. There is no chance that Alduin will revive him, since Parth has betrayed Alduin twice now. But, if Parth doesn't turn evil (like he has proven he can do by thousands of years of pacifism) then his peaceful dragons can help mankind if Alduin returns, because only a dragon (or Dragonborn) can permanently killl another dragon. Parth and his students can take out Alduins followers. There is no reason to kill him.

Besides, killing Paarthunax would be killing a massive part of Nord culture. It was he who first taught humans the Thuum.
only part of that i caught by glancing was alduin coming back, if you played the game and listened you would realise he cannot come back as the only reason he came back first time was because the elder scroll sent him forward in time, this time around the dragonborn kicked his ass and ate his soul for breakfast so he isnt making a return trip this time
Nope. Alduin is the only dragon whose soul you cannot devour, and it is said that it might not even be possible to actually destroy him. He might come back.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Alduin's soul is NOT absorbed at the end of the game.

In fact Arngeir says that he might just return at the end of the world to fulfill his destiny.

I did not kill him since he really is the only dragon who did not try and kill me, and if you read on the plaques on the way up he actually felt bad for humanity an turned on Alduin.

Sure he did terrible things, but those things were THOUSANDS of years ago, and he helped save the human race. He also helps you without making you jump through loops again and again and again.

Lets see:
Greybeards know you are dragon born because you can shout, and actually learn things fast. Not very hard to prove yourself to them.

Blades: Delphine makes you hunt down and kill a dragon, then break into an embassy, then hunt down Esbern, then you have to secure their old temple. You are a glorified errand boy for them who gets treated like they can boss you around.

Hell yeah I joined the Grey Beards and spared Paarthurnax. To go from people who saved Tamriel in Morrowind and Oblivion...to Delphine? Pathetic.

The only thing they really give you is the name of Odahviig, and the Dragonrend shout.
Which if not for PLOT making the temple and Alduin TOTALLY unique would be useless.

I am sorry but I wont wage a genocidal war when there is a chance for peace. Especially when I would have to kill someone who aided me so much because some ***** like Delphine told me to.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
tmande2nd said:
Alduin's soul is NOT absorbed at the end of the game.

In fact Arngeir says that he might just return at the end of the world to fulfill his destiny.

I did not kill him since he really is the only dragon who did not try and kill me, and if you read on the plaques on the way up he actually felt bad for humanity an turned on Alduin.

Sure he did terrible things, but those things were THOUSANDS of years ago, and he helped save the human race. He also helps you without making you jump through loops again and again and again.

Lets see:
Greybeards know you are dragon born because you can shout, and actually learn things fast. Not very hard to prove yourself to them.

Blades: Delphine makes you hunt down and kill a dragon, then break into an embassy, then hunt down Esbern, then you have to secure their old temple. You are a glorified errand boy for them who gets treated like they can boss you around.

Hell yeah I joined the Grey Beards and spared Paarthurnax. To go from people who saved Tamriel in Morrowind and Oblivion...to Delphine? Pathetic.

The only thing they really give you is the name of Odahviig, and the Dragonrend shout.
Which if not for PLOT making the temple and Alduin TOTALLY unique would be useless.

I am sorry but I wont wage a genocidal war when there is a chance for peace. Especially when I would have to kill someone who aided me so much because some ***** like Delphine told me to.
I am pretty sure Parthy or the Greybeards can tell you about Ohdahviig.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
I tried once, just to see if, storywise, you actually could kill him(stupid Bethesda giving all the unimportant NPCs plot armor >>). But instead of dying he just went back to his wall.

I wouldn't consider killing him for real. Also, Delphine is a *****, so I like to take her up to cliffs and shout her off. Along with every single follower I get. I take them up to High Hrothgar Courtyard and shout them off the cliff to their death.

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
Seeing as how he was the one that helped the men rebel, I say his actions are justified.

And no, I'm not going to spoilerize that, because you read about it on the Tablets on the path up to the Greybeards.