Poll: So... did Skyrim meet your personal expectations?

jyork89

Jun 29, 2010
The Elder Scrolls, Skyrim especially, have to be just about the only games where you can say, "I am "only" about 20-30 in, so I haven't started any of the main quests yet."

I've hauled out 26 hours so far. I love this game. It has some minor bugs, I'll admit, but nothing game breaking (though I have had one broken side quest). The amount of times I have just stopped to take in the view is hours in itself.

irequirefood

May 26, 2010
Well, having finished the Thieve's Guild and Companions, just starting the main quest, I can safely say this is one of the best games I have played. Just, the Thieve's Guild questline is the most fun I've had in a TES game.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
distortedreality said:
-MEGAsnip-

Yeah, it stopped being an issue for me after an hour or two or gameplay, although I still cringe everytime I see a horse in the distance lol.

The only other thing that can get a little dicky is some of the animations, but on the whole they're good enough that it doesn't bother me too much.
The only animation bug I've seen really is some lady in the Drunken Huntsman standing up and sitting down over and over. Turns out, a tomato had rolled off the table and down by her feet, in front of the chair. I removed it and she sat down and stayed, finally.

I still carry that tomato with me. I have named him Steve the Tomato; Destroyer of Comfort, Master of Restless Leg, Enemy of Settling Down.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
The world no longer stops when you're in a conversation.

I'm fucking sold on this game, and eagerly awaiting the next Fallout in hopes that they learn from the Skyrim improvements.

Fugitive Panda

Jan 21, 2011
I haven't played Skyrim yet, but I've heard absolutely nothing but bad things, mostly regarding the usual shoddy Bethesda programming and crappy PC port.

But then, that's about what I expected. I was confused when everyone was so excited for the game, talking it up like the second coming, and I wondered if I had missed some kind of game-changing announcement that guaranteed it would avoid all the crap that plagued Oblivion and Fallout 3.

But nope, turns out they were wrong, and I was right. Bethesda still sucks, and I'll pick the game up once the community starts churning out mods.

Bishop99999999

Dec 6, 2007
Art direction, art direction, ART DIRECTION!

Skyrim gets it. The moment I realized how much improved Skyrim is over its predecessor was when I was walking back to White Run after killing some bandits, and a mist just sort of settled around me. I'm walking on a sloping hill, and the sun is fighting to break through the gloom, and right next to it you can see the outline of Whiterun hold. It wasn't scripted, it wasn't over-designed so that I would be forced to see it, it was just there.

And there is a whole continent's worth of these moments.

Ashadow700

Jun 28, 2010
I have not played it yet, so I am really not entitled to express my opinion, but I am going to anyway. From what I have seen of the game so far, it looks like a minor disappointment, as it appears that Bethesda did not fix the whole "uncanny-NPC-problem". For me, that broke a bit of the immersion in Oblivion and I had hoped that they would fix it with Skyrim.
Still, it looks like a good game and I'm going to pick it up eventually.

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
Fugitive Panda said:
I haven't played Skyrim yet, but I've heard absolutely nothing but bad things
Translation: "Hi, I'm a troll who ignores the flood of reviews with near perfect scores and the loads of people on these very forums who attest to its awesomeness."

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
Ashadow700 said:
I have not played it yet, so I am really not entitled to express my opinion, but I am going to anyway. From what I have seen of the game so far, it looks like a minor disappointment, as it appears that Bethesda did not fix the whole "uncanny-NPC-problem". For me, that broke a bit of the immersion in Oblivion and I had hoped that they would fix it with Skyrim.
Still, it looks like a good game and I'm going to pick it up eventually.
I don't think ANY game has conquered the uncanny valley yet. I honestly doubt it's possible. But they've definately improved the 'mannequin-ness' of NPC's. Like how a blacksmith working at his forge will talk to me, but not stop working or stare at me endlessly while doing so.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Absolutely zero crashes whatsoever. That's good, because Gamebryo had a tendency to die on me. Bugs aplenty, but I'm used to that and it always amused me a bit. Overall, the game is pretty much what I expected - more Oblivion, just a little better and more engaging. And there are mudcraps. Hooray!

Oh yeah, I killed some dragons too. And then devoured their immortal souls. That was a bit awkward.

Aaaaaand Sabre cats! And mammoths! Damn, I love those things. So cool.

Oh, there are NPCs too. Can't remember their names for the most part (the only words that stuck with me was 'Alduin' 'Jarl' 'Dovahkiin' and 'FUS RO DAH').

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
i will bow down to the person who has played every inch of the story line and side quests at this point ... no one can properly evaluate it in the way the question is asking.

has it THUS FAR met my expectations, yes. the convos have improved, the leveling doesn't require a bed, i can exit a convo at any time, gratification for good deeds happens early and fast.

looks good. plenty to do. a real timesuck ... i don't know what there isn't to like

i did have a little issue with starting up the mages college ... the bridge-keeper wanted me to do a light spell and after performing it several times, the convo never made it available to me to confirm my action, nor did she respond to my action.

a few random lock ups and i really can't complain as it autosaves often enough

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
ok im in love i got it for PS3 and i feel like im playing what Oblivion should have been:) now if only my dam TV would get fixed so i can play it on an HD screen instead of this dinky ass portovision.......

Nightmonger

Jul 1, 2010
I am loving this game to bits !!! So many quality moments that just happen randomly to you like I have fought a dragon in a sacrificial circle type thing , fled from one literally running for the city oh and I love the little things that have influenced my decisions e.g I was going to join the stormcloaks until I found out there attitudes and how they gave treated my race ( dark elf ) so now I am all for the empire

MadHatter1993

Jul 28, 2009
it's good because it's oblivion, but i was disapointed because it was oblivion, only more grim and darker. other than that it's a good game and i suggest anyone who's into rpg's get it. i'm just upset because of the lack of NPC work, Mood of game, and the menu, other than those i'm happy.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
King of the Sandbox said:
This is the greatest RPG I've ever played. Seriously.

/thread
This.

Oblivion was my favorite, this far surpassed it.

There is so many things they've done right. They managed to make you feel like your character is a badass, they two handed system works almost perfectly, shit ton of choices, and the main questline as of right where I'm at (which admittedly isn't very far), is actually pretty interesting.

Character creation is perfect (which does a lot for me).

Dragons are done well, with the random encounters making you feel like "Let's fucking do this!"

The texture problems that we heard oh so much about during the beginning? Haven't had one single problem, and I'm on the Xbox.

Glitches are extremely less noticeable in this game than previous Bethesda titles. The only problem I've had so far was getting stuck in between two random rocks when I was running away from a giant.

I'm very much in love with this game. And seeing how the source material they had to work with (A tundra based country can only get you so far), they managed to make the world and cities feel like something special.

And I technically just started.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
So far I'm having fun except for when I'm clearing out a dungeon and then suddenly start encountering enemies much tougher then seems appropriate for my level. Frankly I'm surprised I got 7 hours in before the game froze. I was expecting it to freeze(and with more frequency) much quicker than that.

Wilfy

Oct 4, 2008
DRes82 said:
Protected Riverwood from a frost dragon...brought it down on the street, crowd gathered around to look at the carcass and cheered for me. Best moment in a game ever...except for the final assault on the arch demon in DA:0 possibly.
That happened to me except in the Mage's College. I didn't even know it was there until it landed on top of the tower.

Valthonis666

Nov 19, 2009
Graphics: Right where they should be, in my personal opinion. They are perfect. Just high enough in resolution to cause the game to be beautiful, but low enough that you can tell that it was NOT THEIR FIRST FUCKING PRIORITY.
Storyline: OHMYASFDGASG... Dragons DRAGONS! DRRRAAAAGGGGOOOONNNNNSSSSS!!!!!!! RRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHH! I love Dragons with all my being. I've got Dragon statues, and wall-hangings, and friggin Dragon Legos in the garage! I mean dear gods, even just playing as a dude with a friggin SOUL OF A DRAGON gives my imagination a boner!

Gameplay: So many monsterous improvements over how this game functions over Oblivion. It is truly sad to see that it is nothing more than a Console game ported to the Computer. If the menus were different for the two, no one would EVER be able to tell. Especially with the default keys.

Which brings me to my next point! Controls! WASD movement, Q for Favorites Menu, and everything else no one cares to find the keys for everywhere else XD. Everything is right there at your damn hand TBH. The controls seemed pretty much mapped for the Computer seamlessly. I don't honestly care if thats how Oblivion had it [which i never played enough of it on my comp to figure it out, only have it on 360 and lost my disc].

Voice-Acting and Voice-Overs: Phenomenal. Simply put, the best voice acting and facial movements I've seen in a game yet. They even have the simple small nuances of the lips. From what I've seen [maybe my insanity is taking hold] If a person with a lip scar tries to talk, its actively like a dead area on their face and it hardly moves! Thats pretty damn spot-on!

Leveling: I don't get what everyone is saying about leveling up to fast, or powering through this game. I've been pouring every open hour i got into this game, and I'm still not even past Diplomatic Immunity [its a quest, when you get there, you'll know it. Its fuckin corny.] I'm only just now level 10. I've not specialized in an area, though, so thats probably where I've been failing a bit. I've just been dropping points in the masteries I've been using the most.

Depth:............................................................... Don't even need to comment on this. It should be apparent by now that this is one of the single most massive open-ended games ever. I've wondered around in a straight line and actually passed through like.... 15 random encounters, and still not gone from Dragonsreach to .... that place directly west of it at the far end of the map.

Scope: The scope of the game is simply amazing. There is nothing I've yet to see it dance upon. I've seen the maltreatment of the Lower Class within a specific area. I've seen horrible living conditions within slums, and how people react to those from the outside with seemingly more amounts of money. I've seen simple things like a Smith finding a way to set aside his tasks so that he may go see his wife whom is in mourning, and then disappearing for untold amounts of time. Jeeze, I've even seen the Faux-Tough Guys in a fight, get nearly killed them drop their weapons and run like the little bitches they are! [which is DEFINITELY funny to watch, especially when they come running at you from the front with a worthless little dagger.

Designs: By the Divine, this game's designs are beautiful. The weapons are so varied too! I've seen weapons made of sticks and sharpened bones [used by the Forsaken. Do the Companion Questline if you haven't and you'll know what I'm talkin 'bout!] to extremely beautiful, very well-crafted staves, glimmering and shining with the light reflecting off of the metalwork. The armor looks REALISTIC! Its not massive suits of pure steel, connected together with more steel and buckles. Its Leather bottom-lining, covered with mail, a small lining of cloth, and then the actual plates are on top. Jesus, I've collected 3 separate types of Fur Armor, each looking different, but all of them being the same in value, defense and weight otherwise.

Environment: The environments are WAY WAY WAY updated. There is trees, and hotsprings, variations within variations. Random gravesites near what looks like a battlefield. Towns so cramped and crammed full of things that you turn a corner that you thought was the graveyard and you find a general store. Dungeons out the Wahzoo, i think literally too! I've seen 4 or 5 at this time, and I've not even explored a 100th of the map. THERE ARE RANDOM THINGS EVERYWHERE! I found a friggin shrine to Zenithar in the middle of the wilderness in what was obviously a broken down tower! Just sitting there!

NPC Design: .... they pick up stuff you dropped on the ground that you ignore, and bring it back to you... I'm fucking serious. Go to a guard, stand in front of him and drop some stuff, then run a couple of feet away. He will bring it BACK TO YOU! and THEN kindly tell you to becareful where you leave your stuff!

Overall: By all that is holy, unholy, and otherwise, This game is a MUST CHECK OUT. In all circumstances, Whether you hate TES and love Futuristic, or you hate high-graphic games [they exist, i know a few], Or you just hate the thought of playing as a character running around in realisticly padded armor in the snow, during a blizzard that literally obscures anymore than 5 feet of your friggin sight in front of you. There is even a massively polished stealth-feature [as shown by the fact that NPCs now TRULY have a line of sight.] As well as the fact there is now Witnesses, who must RUN to the Guards to talk to them about your crime, upon which time they run after you. YOU CAN KILL THE WITNESSES! i mean jesus, how much more indepth do you want?!

Only Complaint: When your horse is a mother fucking Clydesdale HE DOESNT GO SLOW! these monstrosities of horses thunder and crush anything in their way, they speed through existence like its nothing more than a fern standing in the way of their head-sized hoof. [though the scale is right, and the fact your horses now hunt down nearby enemies and attack them like a true Warhorse should.]

Overall Overall: I simply love this game. It has blasted my opinions out of the water. Destroyed all pretense of 'amazing' that i thought i had before hand, and replaced with with purified amazing that oozes out of every pore and vessel of this game....

P.S.: Bethesda, I love you more

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
I honestly expected it to be fairly mediocre, but I liked Oblivion (despite its flaws), so I figured I would like Skyrim as well. And it turns out I like Skyrim a LOT more than I liked Oblivion. I can't really explain why either, but it just seems like there's so much more to the game now. I feel awesome being this person of legend who kills dragons, rather than some oddball who goes into hell portals and gets attacked by flowers.

Dragon fighting. It's a classic, and that's why we love it.

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
I wasn't going to get Skyrim. After Daggefall, Morrowind and Oblivion (and not really enjoying Oblivion), I didn't think there was much more the series could do. It was by chance I saw it on a weekend sale, and impulse bought it.

Loving it so far. Completely exceeded my expectations.