Poll: So hypothetically , if heaven and hell exists , where do you think you'll be sent?

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Douwe Drost said:
Tharwen said:
Given that I think the God described in the Bible is a complete prick (really, though, how can he be all-forgiving but still punish people for eternity?), Hell.
How do you know that? Have you been to Hell and check it out?
Have you asked God how he is planning to judge the world?
Apparently his opinion doesn't matter, since he left a handy reference guide for us to use instead.

Princess Rose

Jul 10, 2011
Misho- said:
I personally knew there a few followers of obscure (in a broad sense) religions from the past but it shames me to admit I didn't know there was a large following... So I'm sorry about that. :S

Other than that it was a pretty polite and nice reply :) Thanks!
^^ No problem.

Also, as for "neopagans" (the official term for modern pagans) there are, according to Wikipedia, a little over 100 million of us, world wide. So, not actually that obscure anymore. :p

Kirtap

Apr 25, 2011
deadman91 said:
To quote a great song, "I'm aiming for heaven, but probably wind up down in hell..."
Yeah, sounds right.
"...Where upon this alter I will hang my guilt ridden head..."

Jul 11, 2008
In the improbable event that one or both exist, probably hell, but I'd be so pissed off at everything by that point that I'd just seize control of both. I mean seriously I'm already dead whats to really stop me?

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Hell. I'm an atheist, I'm iconoclastic, I'm a blasphemer, have had much sex out of wedlock, I curse, never give money to charity, avoid helping anyone unless I know and like them, and generally have a negative view of human kind.

Angry_squirrel

Mar 26, 2011
I choose to believe that if god exists, he's probably an alright guy, and wouldn't send people to hell simply for being atheist

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Princess Rose said:
Madara XIII said:
Excuse me kind madam, but I believe he is referring to the stereotypical Christian version of Hell with the streets paved with gold and a never ending continuum of existence stretching on forever while bathed in eternal light and happiness.
And Hell as in Dante Alighieri's Version of Hell. Just the INFERNO Part.
Hope I can clear that up.
The Heaven you describe is Dante Alighieri's Paradise.

And that's my point - Dante wasn't a priest, a visionary, or a philosopher - he was a fiction writer. His version of Heaven/Hell - which is what most people think of - has no basis in any actual faith. His Paradise and Inferno are NOT how the church described Heaven and Hell.

Well, they weren't until after his books got popular. Then a lot of priests started using that imagery BECAUSE it was popular.

Using the works of Dante to understand the Christian Heaven and Hell would be like using a modern work of fiction (like, say, Bayonetta. Or South Park). Would you really want to base a major issue of your faith on Bayonetta? On South Park?
Awws Now I feel bad :(
Well considering the Bible barely offers any context towards hell other than Eternal Suffering, Burning and Maggots continually eating my flesh then I gotta say, THAT SUCKS! At least The Inferno sounds eventful, because lord knows that if I got into heaven i'd probably be kicked out quite soon.

And I didn't know that was Dante's Paradise. Now I see what you're saying about how the church incorporated his texts. The only thing I have to base heaven then off my beliefs is that it is unimaginable and beyond compare where no sorrow can exist.
So I'm kinda stuck with two very vague ideas :/

Either way I appreciate you correcting me. Thanks again.
And Secondly, DAMMIT GOD!!! GIVE ME A CONCRETE IDEA!!

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Broady Brio said:
Probably hell. Ruining someone else's life isn't exactly a just thing to do.
8th Circle 9th Bolgia to be exact.
Where the Sowers of Discord lie awaiting to be hacked to pieces by a sword wielding Demon.
They are hacked to pieces because of how they had torn apart the lives of others with their actions.

Plus this is a repeated process.

Hehehe Sorry, but Dante's Inferno is always a nice read. Plus don't feel bad. I think I'm accompanying you in that exact spot

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
I believe in neither heaven nor hell - but some days I wish God existed so that there was some one person who I could punch in the face for allowing this world to be the way it is.

It's hard to be a grown-up and realize that, one way or another, we are solely responsible for the world in which we live.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Assuming a Christian god, I'm easily in hell.

I'm a loving father of two in a committed 12 year long relationship (9 years married). I do community work, donate to charities and volunteer with low income kids to help with their education.

I am an Air Force veteran and a teacher.

But I think gods are myths. So I don't honor one god over others and I don't attend any churches (unless I am visiting a friend or family, in which case I go and sit quietly out of politeness).

So definitely in hell.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Madara XIII said:
And I didn't know that was Dante's Paradise.
Don't worry about it. If it makes you feel better, that's not the only work of fiction that got mixed up with dogma. For instance, Lucifer was given that name in John Milton's Paradise Lost. There is one mention of the name Lucifer in the bible, and it's when god curses a vain human king.

That Lucifer is the devil's name came from Milton.

Conversely, the idea that the angels are all male, shapeshifters, and regularly have sex didn't really catch on so much.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
hell, because i like to fuck dudes.
and because the only commandment i havent broken, i think (what? there's like 614), is murder.

for now.
and i've definitely committed the 7 deadly sins.

Belaam said:
Assuming a Christian god, I'm easily in hell.

I'm a loving father of two in a committed 12 year long relationship (9 years married). I do community work, donate to charities and volunteer with low income kids to help with their education.

I am an Air Force veteran and a teacher.

But I think gods are myths. So I don't honor one god over others and I don't attend any churches (unless I am visiting a friend or family, in which case I go and sit quietly out of politeness).

So definitely in hell.
dude you sound worse than Hitler. /sarcasm.
seriously, what god would punish you?
oh wait, the one who made two people, forced incest on them then made incest a sin.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Hell, most likely. Well, if this is a organized religion definition of Hell, all I have to say is:

EVERYTHING IS HERESY AND EVERYONE WILL GO TO HELL

The Devil´s gonna have a busy eternity, I can tell yo that.

Turing

Dec 25, 2008
krazykidd said:
First of all , this ISN'T a religious debate, I don't care if your atheist or buddist or catholic. This is a Hypothetical question . So we are going to assume that Heaven and Hell exists for the sake of the thread. Also purgatory doesn'T count , it's one or the other.

Now if heaven and hell exists , and you were to suddenly die right now , where do you think you'll be sent and why ?

Personally i would be sent to hell, i have done ( and argubly still doing ) some terrible things in the past. Sure i'm not a murderer or a rapist nor am i a pedophile, but i have done quite a few repulsive things in my lifetime .
Seeing as non-believers automatically go to Hell, my place is already decided.