Poll: So I found this "feminist" site

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Hmm... one thing I do have to give her...
is that the relationship between Bella and Edward DOES fit the criteria for domestic abuse.
Won't really elaborate on that point, as its not entirely relevant to this discussion. (if you're wondering, I had to review two of the Twilight movies for a school newspaper; neither article got published... I had too many good points to make about the bloody series)

Other than that though...

umm... yeah... this idiot is nuts.

Basically, for her argument to work, one has to assume that all women are completely mindless, and are able to be 'reprogrammed' by just about every single bloody thing in our society. Her argument simply cannot function AT ALL, if it allows for the possibility of women being able to think and make decisions on their own. So, ironically, her argument falls more in line with the 'subconscious domination of women' than anything else.

Not that I'm saying that our society doesn't TRY to influence women in anyway, every ad proves that. But, our society ALSO tries to influence men in a similar fashion. How successful it is depends entirely on the individuals in question. Part of who we are is determined by what parts of society we reject and which we accept.

Basically, this whole article looks like someone trying to rationalize the reason why they don't like BDSM. Fine, you don't like BDSM, neither do I. But I don't go around bashing the hobby. Just let people enjoy it if they do.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I think the writer of the article's main problem is she doesn't know what a "niche market" is. 50 Shades wasn't written to make a statement on ALL women or to appeal to ALL women. Just women who are turned on by that sort of thing.

Oddly enough, gamers are very prone to this as well. They take something that is a part of a niche market that doesn't appeal to them (say, FPS's or JRPGs, or games that are specifically made to appeal to the male sexual fantasy) and act like they have some bearing on EVERY GAME THAT IS MADE EVER. Pointing out tropes that are pretty universal among many types of games is a legitimate pursuit (such as women who are wearing little when the rest of the game isn't about the male sexual fantasy), but complaining about scantily clad women in regards to Celebrity Beach Volleyball, or androgynous characters in a Final Fantasy game is a bit redundant.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Legion said:
I wouldn't be surprised to discover that the site was made by an anti-feminist to make them look bad.

Perhaps I am just naive, but I find it hard to believe people that stupid could actually exist.
Sorry, but they do.

I met some in college.

I tested for the usual traits of a troll... none were present. (they hated the attention the building argument was getting, largely because, I suspect, most seemed to agree with me; including the Prof. and TA)

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Ah the old feminism sexuality debates. Yeah, you get some real crazies spew forth from this monster of a debate. Remember not to argue with hate. You can't win an argument if the opposing argument is based in emotion. Just make sure they stay in their own section of the playground and the rest of us will be fine.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Joking aside someone needs to speak out about how sex with vampires would be nasty. I mean, they're room temperature.

Wait, hang on, hang on. Are the vampires in Twilight and Buffy meant to be metaphores for dildos!?

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
This is the same site that adores the SCUM Manifesto and has previously advocated for eugenics, the systematic murder of men, and referred to six year old boys as "future rapists". They hold conventions, although they've had a hard time finding a convention space since their private forums were exposed.

The scary thing is how highly placed a lot of these women are. They may be a vocal minority, but they're a vocal minority of people with influential positions in publishing, DV centers and special education, among other fields.

They are holdovers from influential second wave groups like the Red Stockings.

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
Technocrat said:
I vote: we ban anyone who uses the word "gender" or "feminist" in the first post of a thread. Permaban. Tactical-thermonuclear ban. Black-helicopters-police-breaking-doors kind of ban. Guantanamo-ban.
Can we extend this to any sort of overused, stupid thread that everyone's seen a million times? Not mentioning specifics due to, ya'know, the possibility of the ban being put in play...

OT: Will you people please stop making these god damn threads already? Seriously, it's not just annoying to the people who don't care for them, it's essentially counter-intuitive. You give attention to people who don't deserve it and oh fuck it I've already been over this *Strangles self with razor wire due to seeing this exact same thread for the 50th time this week*

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Colour-Scientist said:
I've almost finished reading it, I wanted to be included and I wanted to be able to say it was bad on good authority.

I was not disappointed. The woman cannot write, at all, even ignoring the plot and the terribly constructed characters.
Yeah, I got it as a well-meant present by someone who genuinely thought I'd like it.

It reminded me of some of the laziest and most awful fan fiction I've bumped into on the interwebs. I did not finish reading and I do not intend to do so. Giving it away would make me feel bad both for the original 'donor' and the recipient, it would feel like handing out a strain of brain cancer.

I lined the cockroach habitat with the paper and I glued the cover to one of our external hard drives. Looks neat and current and very du jour. Also, it helps me detect anyone who actually likes 50 Shades, so I can give them the berth and scorn and pity and whatever they deserve.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Colour-Scientist said:
Daystar Clarion said:
[sub][sub]Also, 50 Shades of Grey? What, you thought the smeared toilet paper of the book world was a good point of study?[/sub][/sub]
I've almost finished reading it, I wanted to be included and I wanted to be able to say it was bad on good authority.

I was not disappointed. The woman cannot write, at all, even ignoring the plot and the terribly constructed characters. She loves the word 'beguiled' too. Oh, oh and the main character drinks Twining's English Breakfast tea, she always writes "Ana has some Twining's English Breakfast tea", never "Ana drinks some fucking tea".
Seriously, I'm basically at the end and she's still pointing out that her main character likes English classics and Twining's English Breakfast tea. Never mind how often she name drops classic literature she has obviously never read and... Okay, I'm going to stop now.
My girlfriend liked it... but that's because she likes literary smut >.>

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Fappy said:
Colour-Scientist said:
Daystar Clarion said:
[sub][sub]Also, 50 Shades of Grey? What, you thought the smeared toilet paper of the book world was a good point of study?[/sub][/sub]

I was not disappointed. The woman cannot write, at all, even ignoring the plot and the terribly constructed characters. She loves the word 'beguiled' too. Oh, oh and the main character drinks Twining's English Breakfast tea, she always writes "Ana has some Twining's English Breakfast tea", never "Ana drinks some fucking tea".
Seriously, I'm basically at the end and she's still pointing out that her main character likes English classics and Twining's English Breakfast tea. Never mind how often she name drops classic literature she has obviously never read and... Okay, I'm going to stop now.
Shame the book is terrible from both a literary standpoint and a smut one. :p

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Blunderboy said:
Fappy said:
Colour-Scientist said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Shame the book is terrible from both a literary standpoint and a smut one. :p
Yeah, she said it definitely wasn't one of the best she's ever read. When it comes to this kind of thing I'm not so sure quality really matters anyway.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Once again it's another association issue with a feminist with no real clue. So and so said/did something bad/offensive to a woman, therfore I must be offended/violated/raped because feminists don't give other women credit.

In fact, feminists look down on non-feminist women as if they're trash, weak, or just stupid.

Frankly, and all the feminist on the Escapist can flame me for this, but I've known some women who just like to have fun - they aren't trying to proove a point, or demean themselves by giving someone a blowjob. Hell, I've gone down far more times than I've gotten BJ's, does that mean I'm a victim too!. People are all different, we all like different things, and if you find someone who shares your likes, then that is not a bad thing, that is the most natural thing in the world. What gives feminists like this the authority to bring other peoples affairs into question! - I'm betting shes a troglodite.

Believe - there are women out there who don't mind giving BJ's, aren't looking to loose or gain anything, women who don't take themselves too seriously and appreciate a bit of too and fro. Feminists give women a bad name, nobody wants to date a feminist - but then feminists don't want to date a controlling evil man who'll just rape them anyway... it's only a loss if your a big fan of irony.