Poll: So I just met my lesbian neighbors...

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
And I was wondering, how well does the Escapist tend to know their neighbors?

I've lived in two rather different neighborhoods (in the same town). In my old neighborhood, pretty much everyone knew who everyone was, how many kids they had, etc. Neighborhood kids would play together, and the parents felt comfortable enough with each other to let us all be supervised by one person's parents at a time (this was also when I was younger). One of my friend's from high school actually used to have regular block parties in their neighborhood.

My current neighborhood is a stark contrast. I couldn't tell you the name of most of my neighbors, and the ones I can, it's only because I knew their kids from school.

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
When I was younger my parents were good friends with most people in our street.

But when we moved we haven't really made that effort. So, no.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
My old neighborhood was awesome.
We were friends with everyone.
I'd often go over to one of my neighbor's house to play on his N64. His granny would bring over the most delicious tacos in the world. Just in general, everyone knew everyone and were really friendly to each other.
Once we were having a block party at our house, and someone rang the doorbell. Opened the door, complete strangers asking to borrow some shovels so they could kill some snakes out back. We gave them the shovels and then invited them over after for food. THAT'S HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE DAMMIT.

And then we moved.
And we're in like Snooty McSnooty neighborhood where people think it's "weird" to be neighborly.
We're good friends with only one of our current neighbors.
It makes me sadface.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
On one side, I have Neighbours who don't stay. Either whoever lives at Number 3 is an ass (Who also keeps changing, so probably not) or that house is ass. We don't talk to our neighbours much and we don't have any wild parties, so can't be us (I hope).

On the other side, I have neighbours who own a big-ass mobile home that blocks the view from the lounge on one side, like to mow their lawn and chainsaw trees at 9 o'clock in the fucking morning, bought a intruder detection system that is a frog with sensors, but the frog croaks at deafening volumes and reacts to a leaf swaying, have their 20 something year old offspring living their with their whole family and love to argue in the garden every god damn week.

I don't talk to them much.

Calumon: I don't want them to see me. They don't like Jack having cats that look over the fence. They'll be mean to me too! : (

Virgilthepagan

May 15, 2010
currently? I haven't seen hide nor hair of my neighbors, but I did just move here two weeks ago.
Prior to that as a child I knew about half of my neighborhood growing up I'd say

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I don't really have neighbors, plus I'll be moving in a bit anyway, so I don't really have a reason to get to know them.

PAGEToap44

Jul 16, 2008
Yeah, I know most of them. "Most of them" being the farmers and the sheep who live next door.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Neighbors;

I have found that I've known my neighbors when I lived in a house-- but living in an apartment... the only time you see them is at the mail box.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
In my old neighbourhood we used to have awesome old neighbors and the dude was awesome and he had a little garden that he would give us vegtables from and he would catch squirrels and chipmunks in a cage and release them to a spot in the wild.

Our neighbors at our new house the first ones were two gay brothers who owned a flower shop and they hated us (my mom especially for some reason) because of our dogs even though we had an electric fence but they thought that our dogs would get too close to their little garden and freak out at us. they moved about a year later and they were replaced with a middle age rich couple from West Virginia but they are complete douchebags. god I miss my old neighbours :(

Pariah87

Jul 9, 2009
When I was a kid in the first house we lived in, we knew the two families either side of us. Got on well with one, had a bit of a mutual dislike with the other.

Next house, got on ok with the family across the street, mutual dislike with the people next door to us.

Third house, didn't know anybody, didn't care to know anybody.

Current house, pretty sure the whole street hates us. Why is it we have sucky neighbours wherever we go? I know I know, the only constant is us so we must suck but meh, fuck 'em.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
I know them well enough to say hello, but that's all. Apart from the girl opposite, as we're the same age and friends.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
We say hi if we're outside at the same time. That's it. I doubt if any of us know one another's names.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
We were friendly enough to them, saying hi and all that.
Then one of them broke into our house and stole my boyfriends guitars, came round demanding money, attempted to smash our door down and keep shouting abuse at us if we leave the house. Lovely chaps.
I'm moving soon, back in with my mum for a while. Her neighbours are apparently nice, she works with her next door one and the other ones are a nice gay couple with cats, one of the cats has three legs and one eye now apparently.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
I vaguely know them, there's a family across the street from us with one adult daughter, one daughter and college and a son in his sophomore years of high school, there's a recent widower living next to us (his wife committed suicide literally feet from my backyard) and I believe on there's a Sri Lankan family living on the other side. The one neighbor I truly knew who's one of my best friends moved away to Singapore a year ago.

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
There is a house to the left of ours and there is one to the right of ours. From there it would take over 100 meter either way until you reach the next house. So yeah I know all my inmediate neighbours.

(Though this is only true for weekends, at any other day I only know the guys living in the same house below me.)

EDIT: Also this thread is only popular because it has the word lesbian in its title.

Daftie

Aug 29, 2011
As a kid, yeah. I made friends with the kids in the general radius of my house.
But as the years went on I stopped making friends around my house and just made friends wherever I spent most of my time; School, LAN cafes, Shopping malls, parties etc.

Now that I think back to it I had a lot of friends as a kid and now I have whittled them down to only a handful of really good friends, good friends and people I use for free stuff.

quantum mechanic

Jul 8, 2009
I've lived in the same neighborhood since I was 3, and over the years the dynamic has really changed. Originally, almost everyone who lived around us was pretty old, mostly retired or soon-to-be retired doctors and professors from the nearby university. There were only one or two other families living near us, and their kids didn't go to my school, so we didn't really know them and we didn't get together with neighbors very much. In the last few years, the combination of a bunch of the old people dying or moving to Arizona and housing prices going way down has meant that a bunch of families with young children have moved in (all of them younger than my brothers and I, so we don't hang out with them much), and they seem collectively more interested in hanging out together. Also, my brothers and I have all gone off to college, so my parents are alone in the house and therefore spend more time talking to our neighbors.

Long story short, my family didn't used to know any of our neighbors, but our area is slowly becoming more of a community.