Poll: So I said COD was terrible, now my entire school shunned me

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
maddawg IAJI said:
Not to mention that it really is a poor game, even by Call of Duty standards.
Seriously? Again with the CoD hate?

So, they can't have possibly disrespected him to this regard not because it would be truly ridiculous, but because CoD sucks and Black Ops especially sucks?

Were it a game you liked, you wouldn't have a problem with it or something?

OT: So, your entire school consists of CoD fanboys? The first-graders, too?

I would assume you're talking about your class, in which case, yeah, they're jerks, but really, you could've phrased it so much better.

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
Well if that's all it took for your school to hate you, they probably already hated you anyway, simply needing a valid excuse to hate you more openly and shun you and write mean things about you on their slips of paper that they pass around the class taught about hating you.

Also who cares. They're either teenagers or college kids. Either way completely retarded and not worth their weight in brain cells. Neither are you if you take anything they say to heart.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Do you people realize what this means? Gaming is so mainstream that kids in school no longer get bullied for liking them, they are getting bullied for not liking the games the popular kids like! :p

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
That... seems a little ridiculous to me. But... I guess that's how it would be these days. I never brought up that I liked games ever when I was in school, much less what I was playing. I might have run into similar issues if I had done the same, but I doubt it. It sounds like that school is full of smelly people. :eek:

Danish rage

Sep 26, 2010
Jewrean said:
I'm a teacher at a school. As soon as one of the students got wind that I play video-games every single kid in the school comes running up to me when they see me yelling:

"Have you got Black Ops yet? What prestige are you?!? Hey we should exchange gamer tags! I bet you can't beat me!"

...and so on and so forth. I usually tell them (in this order):

- Yes I have Black Ops.
- I haven't prestiged yet because I don't play it anymore.
- I'm not giving you my Gamertag. I'm a teacher. Not a friend.
- Yes... yes I could and would beat you. But frankly, the latest COD kinda sucks and I'm too tired of it. It's same ol same ol. Nothing particularly exciting.

Note the same kids come see me the next day talking to me about Black Ops as if I actually cared.

I would recommend getting really good at the game (on PC preferably) and then challenging them. Then kicking their ass of course.
Everything about you´re post sounds kind of hmmm.. prickish.. sorry to say.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
School-age folk shouldn't be playing M-rated games now should they? If not for the violence, for the social stigma of not following the crowd. ;)

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Let me guess. You're probably in middle school or MAYBE high school. If you're in college, you're lying about the whole situation. If you are in one of the former schools, deal with it. Sounds cold, but that's how middle and high school works. You have an opinion that the majority doesn't like? You're going to pay for it. So technically, you DO have a problem because you don't like Call of Duty. Just not the problem you were aiming at in your poll. Kids in school can be real jerks sometimes, can't they? Might want to consider getting new "friends" and changing your phone number so total strangers don't have it, like you make it sound.

And anyone who says The Orange Box sucks has just invalidated anything they ever say regarding video games. Ever. Feel free to ignore that person.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Jewrean said:
I'm a teacher at a school. As soon as one of the students got wind that I play video-games every single kid in the school comes running up to me when they see me yelling:

"Have you got Black Ops yet? What prestige are you?!? Hey we should exchange gamer tags! I bet you can't beat me!"

...and so on and so forth. I usually tell them (in this order):

- Yes I have Black Ops.
- I haven't prestiged yet because I don't play it anymore.
- I'm not giving you my Gamertag. I'm a teacher. Not a friend.
- Yes... yes I could and would beat you. But frankly, the latest COD kinda sucks and I'm too tired of it. It's same ol same ol. Nothing particularly exciting.

Note the same kids come see me the next day talking to me about Black Ops as if I actually cared.

I would recommend getting really good at the game (on PC preferably) and then challenging them. Then kicking their ass of course.
That doesn't sound like very good advice. If he does that, he'll have to spend sixty bucks and spend a lot of time with a games he claims would bore him to tears. I almost had that problem with TF2, a game everyone and their dog recommended to me (I wanted to punch everyone and their dog for a good while after that), until about six hours in I realized I wasn't having any fun and probably never would. So I stopped playing and have been much happier. I think better advice is to just ignore it. They;ll probably forget about it within a week. Then, when they mention it again, just smile and nod but don't say anything.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Erniesrubberduk said:
AjimboB said:
Lets just put it this way, there's a reason that Call of Duty is popular, and that reason is not that everyone in the world besides you is a dumbass.

I really don't think that there's anything wrong with not liking the call of duty franchise, but when you're going to say that such a popular game is terrible, you really need to back it up with a somewhat informed opinion on the matter. This is something that you did not do, so more than anything else, it would sound like trolling to fans of the game, and in that case, they would be in their rights to shun you.
I have decided to not even bother giving an informed opinion on anything against these people, debating with them is like playing checkers with a 5 year old,they like to change the rules whenever and no matter what, they win.
Why are they your friends, exactly?

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Not to mention that it really is a poor game, even by Call of Duty standards.
Seriously? Again with the CoD hate?

So, they can't have possibly disrespected him to this regard not because it would be truly ridiculous, but because CoD sucks and Black Ops especially sucks?

Were it a game you liked, you wouldn't have a problem with it or something?

OT: So, your entire school consists of CoD fanboys? The first-graders, too?

I would assume you're talking about your class, in which case, yeah, they're jerks, but really, you could've phrased it so much better.
Actually even my brother dislikes Black Ops (And he has been a devout Cod player since 3), I just dislike it more then the average person. I haven't liked Call of Duty since Call of Duty 4 and I just believe that the series is going in the wrong direction (Namely the 'repackage the same game every year' direction) and this in Black Ops, it is made 20 times worse by the horrible campaign, bad story telling, fucked up historical accuracy (Ya ya, I know. Its called Black Ops, its suppose to be secretive, but I have to draw the line when 60% of the weapons wouldn't be invented for 10 years or more. Heck, they couldn't even get songs from the right time the missions took place in.) and poor mutliplayer maps and gametypes. From my perspective, Call of Duty is going down hill quality wise and Black Ops is just above rock bottom.

If you like it, fine, good for you. But I don't and calling me a hater isn't gonna make me feel bad about my view of the game.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
maddawg IAJI said:
I don't have one problem with you disliking it. I take objection with you bringing it up as a fact and with you claiming that so many people can't possibly like the game, because it's bad.

Gabes

May 8, 2008
Ok well I'm going to start by being a douche and saying that I don't believe Orange Box sucked, just the Half-Life part of it. Chew on that.

To elaborate in a less jerk off way, I played Half-Life 2 many years after the fact and I can see why it, at the time, would've been viewed in the light which people cast it. Frankly though, it is too linear, too easy, and (my biggest qualm) it was just never ending. The drama and oppression of trying to escape wore off and it feels like the game still expects me to care. Plus the silent protagonist thing, usually kind of annoying in my opinion but would be much better if people didn't right off the bat liken me to Jesus Christ. If I become a badass in my own right, that's fine. But to apparently start out as one, something everybody knows, but with no context bothers me.

But as for the main topic, I can see why you don't like Black Ops. I personally enjoy it, as I've enjoyed every CoD, but I get the feeling that Black Ops isn't really a step forward from MW2. Maybe not a backwards one, but a sideways one. There wasn't much about it that was innovative and new in my opinion other than the maps and the weapons. It's kind of like they took the superior MW2 and applied it to a time period more akin to where CoD began. This in turn creates a good game with the feel of the original CoD games but ultimately, it doesn't feel a whole hell of a lot like an improvement. I have a friend who feels this way and refuses to get it. It's a totally justifiable argument except that he's a turd and doesn't own any CoD game because he's cheap. As someone who doesn't even own one, I don't think he has the right to complain that it doesn't improve on things because he can't ***** then say "I'd rather play the version I have." If you're that guy, the you deserve some ridicule, otherwise, you're school is filled with people whose 9mm rises with their "rank".

US Trooper

Aug 3, 2009
Erniesrubberduk said:
So I was talking with my buddies about games during class and they brought up COD, much to my dismay. I immediately said "Ugh I can't stand that game," and left it at that. Well, little did I know that an ever growing shit storm was coming my way. My friends would tell their friends that would tell their friends etc that I hated COD. Now I'm receiving messages and from people listing games from my game history and they're going "Assassin's Creed sucks, The Orange Box sucks, Sid Meier's Pirates sucks" so on and so forth. People call me retarded and lame for not liking it. Am I the one with the problem or does my school need to be purged?
No dude you don't have a problem you just have an opinion; and holy shit your whole school went after you because you don't like COD what a bunch of drones. Yes, I like COD but I don't go out of my way to crusifie someone who doesn't.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Erniesrubberduk said:
I can feel for you I have many times in my past said to people I hate CoD games saying they have good ideas but horrible execution and not to long ago everyone in my class had to do a presentation about something I decided to make my presentation about why games are an art form (I got full marks for my presentation). just before I did my presentation someone did a presentation about CoD saying stuff like nazi zombie mode is completely original with nothing like it being done before of course when the question came up I brought up that zombie games have been done a lot as well as survival mode and he said 'ya but were they nazis' so I said once or twice yes and he just said 'well nazi zombies is still original' he also said stuff about how realistic CoD was and why it was the best game ever. anyway then I got to my presentation I was giving examples of games that were good art and games that were bad art and so I mentioned CoD4 when it came to question time pretty much every guy in my class was trying to make me say CoD is good art one asking 'how can games be good art if they are fictional' just take a second to think about that sentence... OK so I told him that most great art is fictional and he said 'ya but they aren't games' I also mentioned how CoD is fictional followed by his golden nugget of stupidity 'ya but it's ultra realistic'. well any way most of the guys have actually stopped trying to argue with me because they can't get through my defence which is made out of logic but one of them still try to argue with me once in a while but his argument is ignoring what I just said and slightly changing what he said before that and this makes him think he has won the argument.