Poll: So... Is the PC Master Race joke leaving the "Video Games" section any time soon?

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
How long is the whole "PC Master Race" joke going to stay in the Video Games cathegory? It was barely funny to begin with. You know that place where you could look at all the gaming content and only the gaming content? Can we have that back any time soon?

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Dirty Console Peasant! Your words carry no weight here! Now bow before the marvelous PC Master Race, your guides to the enlightened state of PC gaming, free from filthy Console Gaming and the dirty Peasants it has trapped.

More Seriously: No telling. Maybe when the PC Master Race collectively decides to stop using it as a half-ironic joke and half-serious ego booster. Or perhaps it will end when Dirty Console Peasants stop showing annoyance.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I don't know, but I don't even like to sarcastically use it cause I think a lot of people take it seriously and get their ego boosted.

Personally, I like being a true hardcore gamer, and play everything, from console to PC, Microsoft to Nintendo, Call of Duty to Animal Crossing. Limiting yourself to one type of hardware, system, company, genre or even method of control is really only hurting yourself.

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
I will agree that the joke was barely ever funny. But I have been a hybrid gamer my whole life and it was only funny as a slight jab at consoles. It has since become a meme. Many jokes get told well past being funny as new people hear them and think they are clever. PLus both consoles and PC history are loaded with 'pissing match' atmosphere over which console/PC is better/faster. I doubt the joke will ever go away until consoles are gone and there is nothing to compare. At that point in time the new generations won't even get the joke and it will fade.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
I'm afraid I will never find it not amusing, both the joke itself (A knock against PC gamers, which I am) and the weird, bizarre reactions some people have to it. I remember playing FF14 with someone who played on PS3, who would absolutely lose her mind every time someone said PC Master Race. I mean, full blown, Monopoly grade rage. She'd leave the Free Company and Skype group every time anyone mentioned it, even though it was never addressed to her. And the only time we ever used it was to make fun of the PC players, myself included. She'd go into massive rants, both upon leaving and re-entering, about how PCs were crap, PC players were crap, and we all should take our keyboards and shove it up our asses because we were a plague upon humanity.

It was freaking hilarious.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Honestly, as political and sanctimonious as the schisms separating gamers have gotten, I sincerely miss the days when elitism based on hardware choices was the primary cause of nerd rage... And that's horrible

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
As a purely console player, I'm not sure I could care any less if the "PC Master Race" wants to call themselves that. Although if someone is saying that with a 100% straight face, that's kind of super sad and that person deserves pity, not anger.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
inu-kun said:
I always thought it was more of a joke against PC users then consoles, with the uppity way PC users think that spending several times more on rigs somehow makes them "better".
Originally it was supposed to be but they seem to have taken it seriously.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Like all jokes, it gets annoying when overused. Is this joke overused on The Escapist?

Oh, hell yup.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'm tired of it, only in the sense that there's quite a few people who seem not to realize that it actually started out as a joke, and utter it without any self-awareness.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
No

cause there are way to many dullards that actually believe they are 'better' then some one else cause of the platform they game on.

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
As much as I know I should hate it for both it's overused status and hijacking by unironic elitists, I just can't find it in myself to not laugh at the times it manages to provoke such frothing rage from internet tough-guys with ego problems.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
MysticSlayer said:
Dirty Console Peasant! Your words carry no weight here! Now bow before the marvelous PC Master Race, your guides to the enlightened state of PC gaming, free from filthy Console Gaming and the dirty Peasants it has trapped.
Bah, you will choke on your words when the Console Proletariat shove them back down your throat PC Bourgeois!
When the revolution comes you will all be lined up against the wall and forced to play with proper control schemes, and low-cost standardized hardware that makes developing easier!

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Souplex said:
MysticSlayer said:
Bah, you will choke on your words when the Console Proletariat shove them back down your throat PC Bourgeois!
When the revolution comes you will all be lined up against the wall and forced to play with proper control schemes, and low-cost standardized hardware that makes developing easier!
Ha! Our superior looks and flexible modifications will grant us victory during your pathetic revolution! Oh yes, I still remember the time you Dirty Console Peasants proclaimed the end of PC Gaming, only for our unmatched beauty to entice more to our cause. And no matter how many times you knocked us down, our modifications brought back the glory of our Master Race. We will prevail!

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
MysticSlayer said:
Souplex said:
MysticSlayer said:
Ha! Our superior looks and flexible modifications will grant us victory during your pathetic revolution! Oh yes, I still remember the time you Dirty Console Peasants proclaimed the end of PC Gaming, only for our unmatched beauty to entice more to our cause. And no matter how many times you knocked us down, our modifications brought back the glory of our Master Race. We will prevail!
Dear lord this is just the most beautiful shit that I've ever seen.

On Topic: Here's the thing. We all know the pros of playing a game on the PC. We also know the pros of playing it on a console. We also know the cons of both. Does that make it that you have to prefer one over the other?
No, it does not.
Especially since none of these useless machines have any "Next Gen Exclusives" worth playing.
Steam Greenlight is a complete shit show so I doubt we can expect many new games from there.
I think all of the PS4's exclusives are dull and boring besides Bloodborne.
Xbone truth be told does have a number of decent games though not enough to warrant outright worshiping it.
And then there's the WiiU. Yeah you aren't convincing me with this one. It's not that I hate Nintendo or anything, quite the opposite actually. It's just that I'm of the opinion that Nintendo not try to bait me with stories that will end the exact same way and begin anew the exact same way under the guise that something gimmicky will manage to draw me in. Lookin' at you new Zelda game, you wanna convince me to give you a standing ovation for existing you better be shitting gold when you come out.

So in the end, yes please just let all the console bias end starting or not starting with this particular bias that I'm sure Yahtzee is just sitting on his couch relaxed and staring at his laptop screen to see the chaos he's caused (Or whatever all of us kicking around like little brats counts as).